What's new

Kaigelu fountain pens--anyone have one?

I've read some shining reviews on the Kaigelu 316. Anyone here have experience with one? I'm thinking of getting one of those for my entry into the FP world. Then I just gotta figure out what ink I want to get. It's like trying to find the perfect DE blade before you've even got your first DE razor in hand.:001_rolle

I have a few. There are fine for cheap, Chinese pens. If you are going to go the "cost effective" route, you will want to check out Jinhao/Baoer pens as well as Hero pens. No everyone is a winner but some off them perform well above their price point. Additionally, no matter the brand of ink- the converter and nib need a good flush before their first fill.

Fairly new to pens, but bought a few cheap fountain pens (Noodler, Hero, Sheaffer, no name Chinese). Of these, the Hero is by far the winner, followed closely by one of the Sheaffers. The Sheaffers were used (not sure if vintage would be accurate), but the rest were new. I got the Noodlers Bulletproof EEL black ink. - FWIW

I have 2 Kaigelu 316 fountain pens. I bought an amber & gray one new and a charcoal one used.

I think they are very nice fountain pens for the price. They are heavy and the section where you grip the pen are a bit thicker than say a Lamy Safari or my Pelikans (M200 and M215). I don't post the cap on the end of the pen when I write becasue it makes the pen heavier and throws things out of balance. The nibs are true North American mediums and my pens are fairly wet writers.

For prolonged periods of writing my hand gets tired from the weight and thickness of the section. But for meetings or short notes they're fine.

Overall they are handsome pens and they are regular players in my rotation of pens.

Top Bottom