What's new

Just bought my first (beat up) straight razor

I've been using a Parker Shavette for a while and wanted to make a plunge into real SE territory and I just found this thing on eBay. Needs some work but I really like the scales! :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The seller was just selling bric-a-brac antique type stuff so I've got absolutely no information on this thing apart from the blade has a number 2 on it. It definitely doesn't look salvageable so the scales will be going on a new blade. Looks like they could be ivory, but I'm not sure. Either way it'll be a nice little project to get it in working order :thumbup:

I've been using a Parker Shavette for a while and wanted to make a plunge into real SE territory and I just found this thing on eBay. Needs some work but I really like the scales! :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The seller was just selling bric-a-brac antique type stuff so I've got absolutely no information on this thing apart from the blade has a number 2 on it. It definitely doesn't look salvageable so the scales will be going on a new blade. Looks like they could be ivory, but I'm not sure. Either way it'll be a nice little project to get it in working order :thumbup:
How shall I say this?.....

YOW!!!

I guess you could probably shave around your ears pretty well with that.

U

Utopian

It is highly unlikely to be ivory, but it's pretty just the same.

Not bad for around $12 eh? :001_smile I can't wait for it to arrive now, even though it'll probably be a while before I even get to use it. I've been looking longingly at SE's for ages :blushing: I've never seen a blade quite like that before, I'm hoping I can fit it to a more generic blade

Just make sure you are very careful when unpinning it to replace the blade. The current blade is toast, but shouldn't be too difficult to find a new one to fit.

There's a place over here called the invisible edge that I'll probably get in touch with regarding repair, not sure I trust myself just yet :001_smile first job's going to be measuring it up for a new blade (does anyone know what that kind of blade is? Size wise it looks more like a shavette) and finding one. Any recommendations for the type of blade I should be looking for? There are plenty of really cheap straights on eBay but I'm guessing the blade quality's rubbish. I'd like to spend a little extra and make it something I can be using for a good while :thumbup1:

It is highly unlikely to be ivory, but it's pretty just the same.

Let me say I would never disagree with Utopian. He's been around a long time with wetshaving. I have never know him to be off base very far. Actually, he's one of the guru's that I go to if the answer needs to be dead on. But I see a shine on the figure and it looks like vains running through the whole length of the scale. But then again Utopian is usually right........JR.
just my thought.........

I wouldn't spend anytime on the blade, I replace it. The scales are pretty. If you want to sale the scales remenber me.......JR

Last edited:
U

Utopian

Let me say I would never disagree with Utopian. He's been around a long time with wetshaving. I have never know him to be off base very far. Actually, he's one of the guru's that I go to if the answer needs to be dead on. But I see a shine on the figure and it looks like vains running through the whole length of the scale. But then again Utopian is usually right........JR.
just my thought.........
Thanks for the compliment, deserved or not. Here's my figuring on the scales...

Yes, its shiny and it has veins. Yes it looks like looks old, but figured ivory is extremely rare. It hardly ever appears in scales. Without holding it in my hands and looking under a microscope, my sole basis for saying it is not ivory is simply the rarity of figured ivory.

Thanks for the compliment, deserved or not. Here's my figuring on the scales...

Yes, its shiny and it has veins. Yes it looks like looks old, but figured ivory is extremely rare. It hardly ever appears in scales. Without holding it in my hands and looking under a microscope, my sole basis for saying it is not ivory is simply the rarity of figured ivory.

Agreed, probably a stamped celluloid of some sort (that would account for the faint 'grain')

The blade can still be usable for touch-up precision at difficult areas, you could turn it into something like a shorty kamisori. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom