What's new

Dovo 5/8ths Full hollow vs Extra Hollow vs Stainless

Guys, I recently saw the video of Joel shaving with a 5/8ths Extra hollow St8(Didn't even realize there was 'Extra Hollow) and I was wondering how that compares to a 5/8ths Full hollow and a 5/8ths Stainless. Which would be your favorite, which if they were all Dovo's(5/8ths Full Hollow, Extra Hollow, Stainless) and sharpened equally would give you the best shave and what are the advantages and disadvantages to each?

You're talking apples and oranges here. The degree of hollow and blade material are two entirely different things. The blade material should make no difference shave wise. As far as the full hollow or extra I always thought they were the same.

Now that I've got a collection of 30+ razors I shave with... I'm starting to really appreciate that I don't have to oil the Stainless ones after every use (when it could be 3-5 months before I use a straight again, with the humidity here, I do have to oil my non-stainless blades... sadly).

+1 on lower maintenance of stainless. I dont mind honing, restoring, stropping, etc, etc, but for some reason oiling and anal retentive drying are a PIA. YMMV though :001_rolle

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
...... anal retentive drying...

I am guilty of this.... I have a whole system.:blush:

As to the OP.... 5/8 blades seem small to me now. MANY people love 5/8..... 6/8, 13/16 are a major sweet spot for me ( and others)... It probably doesn't matter in the end because you will likely own a few of different shapes and sizes.

Top Bottom