What's new

Astra SP causing irritation

Hello, this morning I used Astras for the second time using the same setup I use every day. Both times my face has been itchy with more irritation than usual. Coincidence,? Or do some skin types just not like certain blades?

I find the Astra SP to be a blade that is not smooth. I stopped using them even though I have quite a few in stock. Certain blades work better for some people, and vice versa. You will find people here who just love the Astras, and others that cannot abide them. Blades really are the epitome of YMMV.

Hello, this morning I used Astras for the second time using the same setup I use every day. Both times my face has been itchy with more irritation than usual. Coincidence,? Or do some skin types just not like certain blades?
Sorry about that; are you using the Stainless or the Platinum?

The Astra Superior Platinum is my go-to blade. YMMV.

Today, I had one of the best shaves EVAH with an Astra SP/1964 Slim/VDH DeLuxe

Last edited:
I have a love hate relationship with them, they were my go to blade but now I find myself experimenting. So far my new number one could be Personna Med Prep blades...

It does happen that a certain brand of blade will be disagreeable, even when your technique is good. Have you had shaves with other blades with no irritation?

Now that you mention it. I do get a lil itchy like the next day. Or that night. But its not bad. I'll take it to have a smooth shave like that.

I use the Astra SS in my slant and it is very smooth. It is close to a Gillette yellow in smoothness for me. I get razor burn out of the Astra SP. It also drags at times.

Have you reacted to other platnium blades ,Id say platnium jewelry but Ive not seen alot of platnium jewelry ( not a jewelry guy myself ) ?Were the blades in cardboard or plastic dispensor ? All the astra plats seem a bit willy nilly with glue Seemed to my like the glue was diffrent on the cardboard one vs the plastic container , maybe a reaction to the glue ? Get some vodka and 90% rubbing alcohol Try making sure all glue is off and 90 % alcohol or some vodka blade before use if YOU really like the blade , might take any glue residue off blade causing reaction ( say this 10x times fast while drinking vodka ... glue residue adieu )

Astra SP is an interesting blade for me, with the right shaving cream they work brilliantly. If I use a cream or soap that doesn't have good lubricity, forget about it. Razor burn city and possible blood loss. Good thing the 3 dollar Nivea cream works well with them!

I never had any luck with the Astra SP's. they always irritated me and left weepers on my neck. Once I tried the Astra SS's all of that disappeared.
Definitely my favourite blade, give them a go :thumbup1:

Astras are my go to blade. I'm on day #2 of an SP mated to a Muhle R 101and got a BBS shave this morning. They give me a great shave at a decent price.

I couldn't even get through one shave with an Astra SP. The tugging was brutal, and the blade felt like a butter knife. Remarkable how a blade can feel different for different people.

For some reason all blades from the St. Petersburg plant that also produces the Astra blades cause irritation to my skin. Some more than others but I suspect something in their coatings is causing troubles for me. Never had any problem with Chinese or Indian P&G (=Gillette) blades but the Russian ones all suck in various degrees. They are sharp enough and don't cause razor burn (putting on the AS proofs that) but hours or even days after the shave my skin reacts to those blades.

Astra SP in a Merkur 38C are what I go to for my best shaves -- no irritation, but there's potential for some serious weepers if I don't pay attention due to the aggressiveness of the razor and sharpness of the blade.

Load an Astra SP in a Gillette Red Tip and ouch! No good for me. Major irritation.

I tend to get an itchy face when I use a blade not sharp enough for me, i.e. ninja sharp! (Feathers, Indian Blacks).

I have experienced itchy skin, little "irritation bumps" (not ingrowns or razor bumps). When I switch back to the elite sharp blades, I don't have this problem.

Top Bottom