What's new

What Got You Started? Motivation for Cooking and Earliest Food Memories...

Very excited to see a sub-forum for cooking enthusiasts here! Always eager to share ideas with the like-minded.

Anyhow, my wife and I are fans of Top Chef (except for 'Just Desserts'...too much drama:thumbdown). One of its spin-offs, Top Chef Masters, has had a recurring challenge for the finale, asking the chefs to cook three dishes representing:
  1. Their first food memory
  2. The dish that inspired them to become a chef
  3. A dish representing them as a chef today/in the future
I've always thought that was an excellent challenge, and a great way of coming to understand a chef as a person. So I thought I'd ask the same of everyone here.

What got you all started on the culinary road? I suspect few of us are professional chefs, but I think we can all relate to at least the first two points.

To help things along, I suppose I'll get the ball rolling.

First Food Memory
When I spent the night with my late grandparents as a kid, my grandma would wake me up early in the morning, tell me to get dressed, and we'd go in with my grandpa to work--he was general manager for a local grocery. We'd go back to the bakery, and he'd buy me a couple of donuts (and a few for himself:thumbup:). I'd sit chomping away while he and my grandma talked with his colleagues over coffee (often bragging about me, from what I was told later on). Afterward, I'd go back to their house and back to sleep.

Sometime later that morning, I'd be woken up by the smell of freshly prepared french toast. Moments later in came my grandma with a tray holding some drink (often chocolate milk:thumbup1:) and a plate full of the bready, eggy goodness. We'd then sit and eat and watch cartoons.

Instigating Dish(es)
I've got a few dishes that sit in this category. After having some mulligatawny at my then future in-laws in early college, I decided to search out something different to break out of a food rut (due to "boxed cooking"--paint by numbers recipes and boxed dishes like mac & cheese). I came upon curried coconut chicken, tried it out and was immediately impressed. Something clicked and, being a tinkerer by nature, I continued working on the dish (among others) while my future wife headed off to study abroad. However, coming home to an empty apartment after a long day of classes and work kinda takes the wind out of ones sails. I improved some recipes and techniques I knew, but didn't get too adventurous during that time.

When my semester break came, I visited my wife in Japan (her study location). During my visit I came across the donburi and loved it. Upon returning home, my options were a 1+ hour drive (at $15/bowl), or learning it myself. Several dozen eggs and a kitchen fire later (the true mark of cooking, no?:lol:), and I can cook up a donburi with the best in the Midwest. The fire has been burning hot ever since.

Where are you now?
Not being a bona fide chef, I don't have any dishes that represent my "vision" for cooking. However, my current endeavors lay in perfecting my pancake recipe. I'm also considering taking up the battle against waffles yet again. My basic approach is just learning to prepare all of my favorite dishes well. Why pay (or beg, in family case) someone else to make it?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Very excited to see a sub-forum for cooking enthusiasts here! Always eager to share ideas with the like-minded.

Anyhow, my wife and I are fans of Top Chef (except for 'Just Desserts'...too much drama:thumbdown). One of its spin-offs, Top Chef Masters, has had a recurring challenge for the finale, asking the chefs to cook three dishes representing:
  1. Their first food memory
  2. The dish that inspired them to become a chef
  3. A dish representing them as a chef today/in the future
I've always thought that was an excellent challenge, and a great way of coming to understand a chef as a person. So I thought I'd ask the same of everyone here.

What got you all started on the culinary road? I suspect few of us are professional chefs, but I think we can all relate to at least the first two points.

To help things along, I suppose I'll get the ball rolling.

First Food Memory
When I spent the night with my late grandparents as a kid, my grandma would wake me up early in the morning, tell me to get dressed, and we'd go in with my grandpa to work--he was general manager for a local grocery. We'd go back to the bakery, and he'd buy me a couple of donuts (and a few for himself:thumbup:). I'd sit chomping away while he and my grandma talked with his colleagues over coffee (often bragging about me, from what I was told later on). Afterward, I'd go back to their house and back to sleep.

Sometime later that morning, I'd be woken up by the smell of freshly prepared french toast. Moments later in came my grandma with a tray holding some drink (often chocolate milk:thumbup1:) and a plate full of the bready, eggy goodness. We'd then sit and eat and watch cartoons.

Instigating Dish(es)
I've got a few dishes that sit in this category. After having some mulligatawny at my then future in-laws in early college, I decided to search out something different to break out of a food rut (due to "boxed cooking"--paint by numbers recipes and boxed dishes like mac & cheese). I came upon curried coconut chicken, tried it out and was immediately impressed. Something clicked and, being a tinkerer by nature, I continued working on the dish (among others) while my future wife headed off to study abroad. However, coming home to an empty apartment after a long day of classes and work kinda takes the wind out of ones sails. I improved some recipes and techniques I knew, but didn't get too adventurous during that time.

When my semester break came, I visited my wife in Japan (her study location). During my visit I came across the donburi and loved it. Upon returning home, my options were a 1+ hour drive (at $15/bowl), or learning it myself. Several dozen eggs and a kitchen fire later (the true mark of cooking, no?:lol:), and I can cook up a donburi with the best in the Midwest. The fire has been burning hot ever since.

Where are you now?
Not being a bona fide chef, I don't have any dishes that represent my "vision" for cooking. However, my current endeavors lay in perfecting my pancake recipe. I'm also considering taking up the battle against waffles yet again. My basic approach is just learning to prepare all of my favorite dishes well. Why pay (or beg, in family case) someone else to make it?
reticentWebDev:
Oh my..
proxy.php
where to start (with after over 33 yrs in the kitchens behind the 'piano's' [flat top stoves used for sauteing, making sauces and 'finishing' dishes / covers], baking ovens, pastry and other 'stations' in a kitchen 'brigade', of culinary arts / cooking), but as a Certified Executive Chef (CEC - ACF), I owe you a posting which I shall complete on Tues, 10 May 11.

Bon Appétit...Celebrating the Chef in You!!! :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Success is a lot of small things done correctly". Chef Fernand Point

Earliest Memory I was bout 3 or 4
Momma cooking Breakfast ! Ham Eggs and Oatmeal plus OJ and Toast.

I started cooking with my Grandma's and later in College me and the roomies started making Spam and Mac in Cheese Casserole. We lined a grease Corningware with crushed corn chips and then topped the chips with Cheese and mixed pre cooked Mac and Cheese with cubed fried Spam. Then we topped it with cheese and baked for 30 minutes at 325 till the cheese melted and turned a light brown on top.

Self taught Food Nut I watch a lot of cooking on TV and try things we think we would like at home. I got 100 years of American Cookbooking covered. We have Church, Family and Joy of Cooking! I buy every church cookbook some one offers to sale me. Now days the Internet makes finding a recipe finding easy.

First Food Memory
My family always, always ate dinner and weekend breakfast together, and took lunch together when possible. The food was pretty standard American middle class fare, but those family meals are etched in my brain. Five boys clowning, my father at the head of the table, my mother making it all happen. Those meals together made us a family unit, more than anything else.

My mother would make certain things because they came down in the family...a butter lamb at Easter, a candy cane shaped coffee cake at Christmas, Pirozhki as a treat. and she made sure we all knew they were tradition.

Also, I remember the delight my father took in grilling a salmon or carving the holiday Turkey or ham. He had almost starved to death as a POW in WWII, and I think it gave him a special appreciation for a good meal.

Instigating Dish(es)

Looking for a cure for dry Thanksgiving turkey. Brining to to rescue!

Where are you now?

Very much still learning and exploring. Breads, grilling, smoking, frying, cookies, soups....there is so much good stuff from around the country and around the world that I doubt I get beyond that stage before my turn on earth is up!

I suspect few of us are professional chefs [...]

reticentWebDev:
Oh my..
proxy.php
where to start (with after over 33 yrs in the kitchens behind the 'piano's' [flat top stoves used for sauteing, making sauces and 'finishing' dishes / covers], baking ovens, pastry and other 'stations' in a kitchen 'brigade', of culinary arts / cooking), but as a Certified Executive Chef (CEC - ACF), I owe you a posting which I shall complete on Tues, 10 May 11.

Bon Appétit...Celebrating the Chef in You!!! :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Success is a lot of small things done correctly". Chef Fernand Point
I stand corrected! Look forward to reading your post.

Earliest Memory I was bout 3 or 4
Momma cooking Breakfast ! Ham Eggs and Oatmeal plus OJ and Toast.

I started cooking with my Grandma's and later in College me and the roomies started making Spam and Mac in Cheese Casserole. We lined a grease Corningware with crushed corn chips and then topped the chips with Cheese and mixed pre cooked Mac and Cheese with cubed fried Spam. Then we topped it with cheese and baked for 30 minutes at 325 till the cheese melted and turned a light brown on top.

Self taught Food Nut I watch a lot of cooking on TV and try things we think we would like at home. I got 100 years of American Cookbooking covered. We have Church, Family and Joy of Cooking! I buy every church cookbook some one offers to sale me. Now days the Internet makes finding a recipe finding easy.
Amazing what concoctions you can come up with on a low budget and a pile of hungry college guys, isn't it?

I like the idea of buying up old church cookbooks. Had never thought about it! I'd suspect lots of variations on classics (tasty or not :lol:), but wading through all the cruft, there's probably some great dishes in there. How many fantastic home cooks spent years cooking for their families, with no one but them and their local congregation to share their ideas with? I can think of a few in my own family that definitely fit that mold.

First Food Memory
My family always, always ate dinner and weekend breakfast together, and took lunch together when possible.[...]
Instigating Dish(es)
Looking for a cure for dry Thanksgiving turkey. Brining to to rescue!
Where are you now?
Very much still learning and exploring. Breads, grilling, smoking, frying, cookies, soups....there is so much good stuff from around the country and around the world that I doubt I get beyond that stage before my turn on earth is up!
Something I noticed in both your and Deltaboy's posts, as well as my own history, is how inseparable our food memories are from the people which shared them with us. Really makes one reconsider the importance of sitting down and sharing a meal with loved ones more frequently than just 'the holidays'. Sure there's bound to be the occasional spat over not sharing the rolls or some other trivial tension, but it seems clear just how much that binds everyone together. I suspect it can also help you to appreciate the meal a bit more, versus the practice of inhaling that can be so easy to pick up with any sort of frantic lifestyle. Shame how we seem to let ourselves miss out on that opportunity as of late.

The other thing I noticed is how necessity seems to have driven the dive into cooking for each of us--just looking for a better way. It's funny though...what made us dive in and find a solution while others (facing similar food 'problems') just throw in the towel and order takeout or go the 'boxed cooking' route? And this even from people that may be otherwise highly motivated individuals.

I wholeheartedly agree with the exploring sentiment, too. Exciting though, isn't it? Always some new dish to try, some new technique, some new spice. And as an added bonus: full, happy tummies along the journey.

First Food memory..

Well I am not sure what got me started but I know I have always loved to cook. At an early age my parents let me cook my own food once they knew I wouldn't burn down the house ( around age 6 ). Started with cooking eggs and went from there.

Instigating dishes..

Breakfast is the meals I love to cook the most so are the ones I play with the most as well to find something that my wife and daughter love as much as I love making it. Have found a go to pancake recipe that is requested by my daughter and all her friends which I try to tweak every time I make it for just the family.

Have recently fell in love with Vietnamese food and since there are no restaurants within a 2 hour drive that I can find I have been working on perfecting that cuisine now.

Where Are You Now..

Working on more world cuisines as I love all food but have an extreme fondness for Asian cuisine and am really trying to become more adept at preparing it myself.

Also next on my list of purchases is to get a smoker and working on a rub recipe that will make a great flavored barbeque dish.

[...]
Breakfast is the meals I love to cook the most so are the ones I play with the most as well to find something that my wife and daughter love as much as I love making it. Have found a go to pancake recipe that is requested by my daughter and all her friends which I try to tweak every time I make it for just the family.

No shame in a love for breakfast. That has become the fall back for dinner at home when we're short on ideas lately. Gotta have time to tweak the pancake recipe! Just found a go-to myself, so it may be on to waffles now. Funny, though, I still see myself tweaking it. Always room for improvement, no?

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Passing along experience and knowledge is what our business is all about. Our places will be filled by younger, eager and enthusiastic men and women of our profession. They are often less experienced and I often wonder whether we as ‘leaders’ make sufficient provision to pass along the fantastic wealth of knowledge we all possess.

For this reason, I started to take notes long, long time ago. My notes began while I ventured (struggled might be a better word) through my formal apprenticeship begining at 16yrs with Hilton Hotels (the establishment served a wonderful Sunday Brunch [the craze of our town], with all the ‘fixings’ from standard brunch fare of craved Prime Rib and Southern Fried Chicken to Ambrosia Salad and Fresh Pecan Rolls), my culinary schooling many ‘moons ago’, continuing through my past military career and now my civilian career.

I have come to meet and train with many of our profession, from the likes of Fritz Sonnenschmidt, CMC® and Ferdinand Metz, CMC® (both Certified Master Chefs®) in the early ‘80’s in Frankfurt, Germany, when the Army in Europe sponsored a training program with the National Team of the American Culinary Federation while they were competing in the Culinary Olympics to being one of lucky few to have trained with the kitchen brigade at the Hilton Hotel (yes!!!...back again with Hilton), in Frankfurt, Germany as part of our battalion cook Exchange Program to ‘pulling sugar’ (a process simular to making taffy), and ‘laying-out’ garde-manger (cold), mirror platters for the first time in culinary competitions to working on the platform during the 2004 Land Combat Expo (executing live cooking demonstrations), to being a member of the DSCP-E, Technical Panel, representing the Army in Europe’s Fresh Fruit & Vegetable (FF&V), interests/concerns for Contract proposals that are currently being reviewed for awarding to the general and specialized Culinary skills and knowledge learned and shared from my over thirty years (30) in the Food Service business, the kitchens that I have worked in and the other professional Culinarians that I have had the pleasure of working and acquainted with.

Your first food memory?

Cooking sliced apples in a small pan (water / sugar & reduce), which I occasionally burned and caused my Mother to scold me “So you want to be a Chef when you grow up…eh? You can start by helping me cook dinner”. I was so happy because not only would I get out of ‘doing some of my chores’ (I have 3 other brothers and 5 sisters by the way), I was the only one in the family to help Mom in the kitchen and I guess from the early days of learning how to cook (back in those days…if you remember we did have to take Home Economics (we just called it ‘Home-Ec’ and you know I got straight ‘A’s), classes, I wanted to be a Chef first…and then after that...a Fireman. :chef:

Also, if I think back that far, although my Mother had many recipes, my overall guess be my Mom’s Four Cheese Strada ( a great breakfast brunch dish), in the morning on Sunday after Mass (recipe to follow…look for my “Notes from the Chef’s desk” posting). It was our family and my personal favorite which I fondly remember and faithfully recorded (yeah….a little old and yellowed with time, but my family and I still love this breakfast staple), and also the favorite for many of the families in the city and now I shall ‘pass on’ to you this wonderful and creative recipe which I added the noun ‘Lighthouse’ (because my Mother is like a Lighthouse
proxy.php
…showing my the way if and whenever I stray), to serve on your Breakfast and/or Brunch ideas.

The dish that inspired you to become a Chef?

My Mothers Southern Fried Chicken (she told me to always ‘season’ the meat…not the flour…’that’s why we call it Southern”), in a cast iron skillet with Cream Gravy (add flour to some of the reserved oil to make a roux, cook [stirring well whip a whip], until the roux looks like peanut butter, add Chicken Stock to make your gravy and lastly add milk to finish). I remember being 8 or 9yrs old helping Mom while I stood on my little hocker / step-stool (Mother Dear won’t let me have it…as she put it…"Until the groundhogs start bringing me my mail"), in front of the stove making Southern Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy.

A dish representing you as a chef today/in the future?

That’s hard to say with the all the many dishes (regional, haute, international, banquet, bakery, pastry ect…), I’ve prepared over the years…I guess if there was one dish that could represent me as a Chef of today would be my Notes from the Chef’s Desk entitlted, "Roast Breast of Pheasant"
in which I posting in members DrColossus11 (a.k.a Jay) Thread & Posted Replies entitlted "Pheasant".

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=195985

Roast Breast of Pheasant w/ Bacon and Green Peppercorn, Balsamic Vinegar and Port Wine Sauce

Servings: 2

Ingredients:

4 pheasant breasts.

4 Slices of bacon to wrap each Pheasant Breast.

1 finely chopped Valdivia onion.

2 finely chopped garlic cloves.

1 tsp tarragon.

1 tbsp ground (use a grinder), Sea Salt.

1 tbsp ground (use a grinder) white pepper.

1 to 3 teaspoons green peppercorns (added to suit your taste).

6 oz chicken demi-glace (demi-glace is a rich sauce in French cuisine used by itself or as a base for other sauces either home-made or commercial/prepared concentrate/mix [Knorr, Williams-Sonoma or some other brand]).

4 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

2 cups Sandeman (or other excellent) port wine.

Method:

1. Rinse breasts and pat dry. Rub with white pepper and sea salt.

2. Wrap each breast with bacon.

3. In a hot, heavy sauté pan, sear pheasant breasts on skin side, then turn over and sear the bottom of the Breasts. Place in 350 degree oven 15min uncovered, basting often. Then turn the breasts onto the other side and roast another 15min, basting often. The Breasts should be about ‘medium’ (130 internal temp), or until the Breast juices are clear without any pink tinge.

4. Remove the Breasts from oven and sauté pan and keep warm.

5. Chop bacon and reserve.

5. Pour off excess fat (reserving a little), from sauté pan.

6. Add the onions, garlic, tarragon, and peppercorns over medium-low heat, cover and sweat.

NOTE: Sweating is the process of releasing flavors with moisture and low temperatures. Fat, in this case, is used just to hold the flavors in place as they're released. However, no browning takes place and the pan is covered so the lid traps steam, which condenses and drips back on to the mixture.

7. When the above mixture is ‘sweated’, increase heat to ‘medium’ and deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar and Port wine and slightly reduce.

8. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan, add the chicken demi-glace and bring the mixture to a slow boil, stirring now and then with a whip.

9. Reduce your sauce by half (or until the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon), by slow boiling.

Serving Set-up:

Place sauce on the bottom of plate. Slice 2 breasts (on the diagonal), per serving, 'fan out' on top of sauce and serve with either risotto or rice pilaf, braised cabbage and garnish with chopped bacon and cranberry-apple chutney (if desired). :yesnod:

"Bon Appétit...Celebrating the Chef in You!!! Christopher

Where are you now?

After my apprenticeship and earning my Certified Cook (CC), certification with the American Culinary Federation (ACF), , I joined the Army and after many years of hard work in military kitchens and participating in Culinary Arts competitions, and showing my cooking skills from Baker to 1st Cook to Rations Stewart to Shift Leader, I was awarded with the certification as a Certified Working Chef (CWC…which is no longer used by the ACF), and then after many more years of hard work from being a Dining Facility Manager (the Army doesn’t call them Mess Halls anymore), at small (feeding approximately 250 soldiers), and large (feeding approximately 1,200 soldiers), facilites to a Brigade Food Advisor. In 2002, I was finally certified as a Executive Chef (CEC®).

Now in my federal government civilian career, I am a Food Program Manager & Contract Officers Representative at a Army Installation here in Virginia and very briefly my duties are being the principle authority on food service matters; fully participating in directing, planning, and coordinating the Food Service Program, including overseeing programs for the supported dining facilities. I also serve as an advisor to the Chief, Supply and Services, Commander, and Director on all aspects of the Army Food Program. I exercise technical supervision over the food service activities on the Installation and am responsible for implementing regional, Major Command (MACOM) and Army directives, concerning subsistence and the food service operations. Lastly, I provide general guidelines, policies, objectives and act as a liaison between the Chief, Supply and Services and other officials (military, civilian and contracted caterers), concerning all food & food service related matters. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Good food is the foundation of genuine happiness." Chef Auguste Escoffier

Attached Image - Me - New CEC® Patch

Last edited:
It looks like I'm somewhat unusual in that I didn't really come from a family that was enthusiastic about food or cooking and I myself didn't start cooking (for real) until college.

I actually started because the food in the school cafeteria my freshman year of college was terrible. So I decided to save myself a ton of money and eat better by moving off campus and cooking for myself. Of course, I didn't know how to. So I threw myself into learning it much like I did with wet shaving, shooting, or my various academic pursuits.

So I watched a ton of food network and other cooking shows, read everything I could find on the internet, and talked to everyone I knew who knew anything about cooking. I also ate out a fair bit at restaurants and tried to reverse engineer my favorite recipes. Above all else though I experimented a lot. I still don't consider myself to be a cook of any great talent, but I genuinely enjoy cooking most of the time and still try to experiment.

I do not have a significan food memory, but at about the age of 9, my mom and my aunt took me to a pretty decent restaurant and I ordered a burger. They convinced me I should branch out, so I ordered lobster! As the story goes, they had to check to be sure they could even pay for it, but I ate the whole thing and loved every bite! That really opened my eyes.

My dad cooked breakfasts from time to time and whenever mom was not at home, so I got the idea that cooking was okay. By the time I went to college, I was cooking spaghetti, chili, grilling burgers and steaks and that sort of stuff.

We moved to California and I ended up taking a Chinese cooking course and ended up teaching one. I started collecting cook books and expanding my areas of interest and skills.

My wife likes to cook too -- especially appetizers, salads and desserts, so we really enjoy entertaining.

At some point as a kid I wanted a chemistry set and had to make do mixing orange juice & milk, adding pepper sauce to ginger ale, and tie dying my mother's carefully prepared dinners. As a teenager with two working parents, I got tired of heating crummy tv dinners and powdered mac & cheese. Julia, the Galloping Gourmet, and others helped make it palatable enough to keep at it. As they say, necessity is a mother.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I am amazed by the post from The Count of Merkur Cristo . . . recipe attached and . . . just wow.

For me, I guess I started out as mom's helper . . . peeling onions, shredding cabbage. Dad would make a great plate of beans on toast or a salmon sandwich . . . actually pretty good effort which I often do for a Sunday lunch.

Both of my parents worked so my brother and I survived mostly on sandwiches, macaroni, etc. Interspersed with weekend efforts from my mother and for many years Sunday get togethers for an extended family dinner at my mom's mom's.

Flip forward a few years . . . I find myself as a ships steward on the Imperial St. Claire . . . small ice breaking tanker . . . delivering jet fuel and other fuels up and down the Eastern seaboard . . . aside from cleaning I worked with Carl the pastry chef who was running the whole kitchen due to the regular chef being on leave . . . and feeding a crew of maybe 25 or 30. . but with an officer's mess and a crew's mess.

I learned so so much. How to cut meat on a band saw . . . and yep it was my job to clean up. Fry things on a flat iron grill. . . do fried eggs in clarified butter in a very small pan. . . make stuffed green peppers. . . . prepare cod's tongues in batter, oven baked salmon purchased from the fishing boats that pulled up along side. How to make cinnamon buns for . . .well 25 or 30 people.

A few years later after struggling through University . . . you would find me having fairly basic meals . . . alone. This is one of my great misses in life. . . if I had this to do over . . . I'd be inviting my friends over for roast root veg or some shared inexpensive meal . . .

But somehow I did meet the lady who would become my wife . . . and used some little skill I had developed to cook a few meals . . . It kinda moved on from there. . . experimentation and picking and choosing what I'd take forward.

Somehow . . . I involved myself in the annual company BBQ . . . feeding a staff of 230 to 260 people . . . and getting it done far far better than the folks that had been hired in before. . . did it two years and took great joy as it came off so well . . . and I was greatly helped by a wonderful HR guy who was running his own restaurant . . . and many staff members who helped with the setup and cleanup.

Now I look forward to the few opportunities I get to entertain family. Bringing pizza to the back woods, having a spiral cut ham for Easter, having a brined turkey for Christmas . .

I could keep typing forever . . . great question.

Take care.

Mike

Let's see here...

Earliest memories would be dinner with my grandparents. Just about every weekend we'd go see them, and get put to work... weeding the garden, raking leaves, mowing the lawn, shoveling the deck and driveway.
But there was always a good spread on the table. Mom's got most of those recipes still, as she recopied them a few years ago.

What got me cooking, as usual, was necessity. In grade 4 our microwave died. My folks figured it was better teaching us how to cook than shelling out more money on a new one. Because I only lived a 1/2 block from school I'd pop home and make lunch most of the time rather than take a cold sandwich like everyone else. Got really good at making grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch.
Eventually that turned into coming home and starting supper for mom after school, and then making supper after school on the days I wasn't working.

I've long surpassed my mother in cooking, she started to actually admit it shortly after I'd started high school. Even better was when the grandparents admitted it :thumbup1:

Where am I now... my cooking now has turned into a lot of low and slow methods. I still haven't really gotten into using a slow cooker, so that means supper is ~9pm since I have to cook after work. I've got a few that have received plenty of requests for the recipe, but the problem is that I don't use recipes as anything more than ingredient lists... I eyeball and taste my way through cooking a meal.
For example, mom has asked me to make up a batch of my version of a philly when I'm home for dad's 60th in a month... they're going to have a group over for supper and dessert.

Signature dish, my version on a philly cheese steak:
3 adults, 2 full meals worth (not really "6 servings", closer to 8 or 9). Typically done on a weekend, as it takes a good 2hrs.

6"x12" chunk of flank steak, sliced into 2"x1/4" slices
BBQ sauce of choice (anything that's not super sweet)
2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped into 1"x2" chunks
2lbs of mushrooms of choice (I prefer crimini), halved
2 large white onions, halved and sliced into 1/4" strips
Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
6" crusty buns

*Coat the sliced steak in bbq sauce, let it sit for 10-15min while you cut the veggies up.
*layer the bottom of the roaster with sliced up veggies, toss the meat on top, a little more bbq sauce. Put the lid on and shake it a bit to mix. If the veggies look dry, add more bbq sauce. You want the roaster to be ~1/2 full at this point, and well mixed.
*toss the roaster into the oven, turn it on and up to 350.
*come back in 1/2 an hour, give it a stir and add a little more bbq sauce if needed (if you added enough before it's almost like a loose meat sauce at this point), turn the oven down to 200.
*come back in an hour-ish, toss in enough shredded cheese to thicken up the sauce. You aren't looking for a cheese sauce, just the flavour and a little thickening agent. The liquid level will have risen already, which is why you only wanted 1/2 full to start with.
*turn off the oven. At this point you can let it sit in the oven another 1/2hr with the lid off or serve right away and leave the lid off
*Toss the buns into the warm oven for 5min while you get plates out.

And the usual process of slicing the buns and serving. If you serve right away the first round will soak through the bun as fast as you can eat it and if you need a 2nd serving you'll still drip. Usually 2x 6" buns will fill anyone up. It'll take a good 2hrs on the counter for the remainder to be cooled down enough to put into the fridge, plenty of grazing time due to the hot roaster. It'll last 3 days in the fridge.

Dunno how many times I've made up a batch for potluck meals and then had to send it out via email for all the requests. This and my curry chicken.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I am amazed by the post from The Count of Merkur Cristo . . . recipe attached and . . . just wow.

For me, I guess I started out as mom's helper . . . peeling onions, shredding cabbage. Dad would make a great plate of beans on toast or a salmon sandwich . . . actually pretty good effort which I often do for a Sunday lunch.

Both of my parents worked so my brother and I survived mostly on sandwiches, macaroni, etc. Interspersed with weekend efforts from my mother and for many years Sunday get togethers for an extended family dinner at my mom's mom's.

Flip forward a few years . . . I find myself as a ships steward on the Imperial St. Claire . . . small ice breaking tanker . . . delivering jet fuel and other fuels up and down the Eastern seaboard . . . aside from cleaning I worked with Carl the pastry chef who was running the whole kitchen due to the regular chef being on leave . . . and feeding a crew of maybe 25 or 30. . but with an officer's mess and a crew's mess.

I learned so so much. How to cut meat on a band saw . . . and yep it was my job to clean up. Fry things on a flat iron grill. . . do fried eggs in clarified butter in a very small pan. . . make stuffed green peppers. . . . prepare cod's tongues in batter, oven baked salmon purchased from the fishing boats that pulled up along side. How to make cinnamon buns for . . .well 25 or 30 people.

A few years later after struggling through University . . . you would find me having fairly basic meals . . . alone. This is one of my great misses in life. . . if I had this to do over . . . I'd be inviting my friends over for roast root veg or some shared inexpensive meal . . .

But somehow I did meet the lady who would become my wife . . . and used some little skill I had developed to cook a few meals . . . It kinda moved on from there. . . experimentation and picking and choosing what I'd take forward.

Somehow . . . I involved myself in the annual company BBQ . . . feeding a staff of 230 to 260 people . . . and getting it done far far better than the folks that had been hired in before. . . did it two years and took great joy as it came off so well . . . and I was greatly helped by a wonderful HR guy who was running his own restaurant . . . and many staff members who helped with the setup and cleanup.

Now I look forward to the few opportunities I get to entertain family. Bringing pizza to the back woods, having a spiral cut ham for Easter, having a brined turkey for Christmas . .

I could keep typing forever . . . great question.

Take care.

Mike
Mike:
Thanx for your reply, support and for sharing. :thumbup:

It looks to me that you've had a pretty 'well-rounded' stint in the kitchens and gallys. The Mrs. and I both like to cook at home (regional cooking...with me being born in Michigan [meat & potatoes type fare] and the Mrs. [being Creole herself], cooking the Creole cuisine from Louisiana), but not as 'haute' as I've done in the past unless we have special guests (familiy, priest, old friends ect..), over and I ask them before hand what they're food perferences (low sodium, low cal, ect..), are and from what country (USA, Germany, Spain, Africa, ect...), they would like to dine at. :lol1:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Bon Appétit...Celebrating the Chef in You!!! Christopher

It looks like I'm somewhat unusual in that I didn't really come from a family that was enthusiastic about food or cooking and I myself didn't start cooking (for real) until college.

You're not alone! My grandma (and much later, my in-laws) was in to cooking, but my mom (who I lived with) was a firm believer of boxed cooking. I probably ate enough fish sticks as a kid to fill an ocean, or at least a small river. Which isn't to say I begrudge her of that, by any means. But there it is.

Passing along experience and knowledge is what our business is all about. [...] For this reason, I started to take notes long, long time ago. [...]

I'll throw out a collective "Thanks" for that. A fantastic read, just as I expected. Cooking is clearly something very special to you. It must have been such a joy to be able to share all that time in the kitchen with your mom. I suspect it something your siblings probably very much envy now (if they didn't then).

Necessity may require otherwise, but your story is as good as any of the importance of not sheltering them. Instead, engage with them. How many parents nowadays would flip out at the idea of a 9 year old working with hot frying oil? Yes, incidents can (and do!) happen--but they're a lot less likely if you're working with them, showing them how to do it right.
[...]she told me to always ‘season’ the meat…not the flour…’that’s why we call it Southern”)
Never knew that was the 'Southern' part of Southern Fried Chicken. The more you know, folks!

After my apprenticeship and earning my Certified Cook (CC), certification with the American Culinary Federation (ACF), , I joined the Army and after many years of hard work in military kitchens and participating in Culinary Arts competitions, and showing my cooking skills from Baker to 1st Cook to Rations Stewart to Shift Leader, I was awarded with the certification as a Certified Working Chef (CWC…which is no longer used by the ACF), and then after many more years of hard work from being a Dining Facility Manager (the Army doesn’t call them Mess Halls anymore), at small (feeding approximately 250 soldiers), and large (feeding approximately 1,200 soldiers), facilites to a Brigade Food Advisor. In 2002, I was finally certified as a Executive Chef (CEC®).
It's very easy to imagine you on Top Chef (or some other televised competition). Your background all has a very movie-like quality to it. My goodness, what a career and story!

And what a joy it must be/have been to feed and sustain so many in service. Cheers for that.

Thanks again for the recipes. I'll look forward to trying them out sometime. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'll throw out a collective "Thanks" for that. A fantastic read, just as I expected. Cooking is clearly something very special to you. It must have been such a joy to be able to share all that time in the kitchen with your mom. I suspect it something your siblings probably very much envy now (if they didn't then).

Yes, I remember getting 'ribbed' by my other brothers 'cause they had to 'take up the slack' of my chores while I helped Mom cook dinner M-F and breakfast & dinner on weekends....if I was not playing hockey, skiing, swimming, baseball, homework, friends, ect...

Never knew that was the 'Southern' part of Southern Fried Chicken. The more you know, folks!

You know back then (and still today), I always believed eveything my parents told me, especially Mom, but there just might be a few Southerners who may contend that 'tid-bit' of culinary wisdom, but you can be sure I teach that lessson to all aspiring Cooks / Chefs regardless of the proteins used. :lol1:

It's very easy to imagine you on Top Chef (or some other televised competition). Your background all has a very movie-like quality to it. My goodness, what a career and story!

And what a joy it must be/have been to feed and sustain so many in service. Cheers for that.

Thanks again for the recipes. I'll look forward to trying them out sometime. Best of luck in your future endeavors!
reticentWebDev:
Thank You for your very kind comments, your support and for sharing & starting a wonderful Thread that is so close to my heart, career and profession. :thumbup:

It certainly was my pleasure to be able to relate and open a small portion of my culinary story to include reading all of our other members stories because with the stories we tell...if we're not learning...we're not living. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"[It is the] innovator, experimenter, [and] missionary in bringing the gospel of good cooking to the home table." Craig Claiborne

Top Bottom