What's new

Honing Services

A dear friend of mine recently gave me this straight razor that he had in the bottom of his sock drawer at home. It was given to him by a "old Italian Barber" and when he heard about my learning the "old school" methods he felt he wanted to bless me with it!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My question is, are there any vendors or people on this forum that offer professional honing services? I want to restore this razor to like new condition and don't want to foul it up.

Thank you all for your advice/recommendations.

Man, I'll hone it for free, seriously. Just to try that razor!:w00t:
I could also give those scales an ultrasonic cleaning and a mild polish.
I can hone it on a Nouvelle Veine, with Coti or Escher finish (your choice), or on a Shoubodani Asagi (if you prefer a Jnat edge). I don't use synthetics except for setting the bevel.

PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I wish my friends gave me one of the most coveted razors out there that they found in sock drawers...

Nice score! :thumbup1:

Nice blade- good gift! Looks like it surely needs a full re-hone, toe heavy honing and a bit of a frown near the heel. But, should be great once properly attended to. :thumbup:

The sticky with the list of pro honers is in the wiki under honing now.

Thank you. I found the wiki link.

Man, I'll hone it for free, seriously. Just to try that razor!:w00t:
I could also give those scales an ultrasonic cleaning and a mild polish.
I can hone it on a Nouvelle Veine, with Coti or Escher finish (your choice), or on a Shoubodani Asagi (if you prefer a Jnat edge). I don't synthetics except for setting the bevel.

PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer Jorge and I might just take you up on it!! Don't be too mad at me, but, I have a lead on a Dubl Duck razor as well that the owner just wants to get rid of....... it's been a blessed 2 months for this noob!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Jorge and I might just take you up on it!! Don't be too mad at me, but, I have a lead on a Dubl Duck razor as well that the owner just wants to get rid of....... it's been a blessed 2 months for this noob!!

I have to say those are nice razors for a beginner.
Why should I be mad? I have plenty of ducks, you are not making me envious there. :tongue_sm
That Sub Cero on the other hand...:001_rolle

I can also understand if you want to send that baby to someone else.

BTW, where in SoCal are you? You should come to our get togethers.

Last edited:
I am up near Victorville. I'd love to get together sometime. Anything to get me out and meeting new peeps, not to mention getting my mind off of work!!

U

Utopian

Unfortunately it will be virtually impossible to restore the razor to "like new" condition, and that involves more than just honing. You'll have to decide if you just want it honed to shave ready or if you want further restoration done. Though some are purists about leaving original pinning, I would recommend taking the razor apart, clearing the corrosion out of the pivot, cleaning the scales inside and out, and then re-pinning it. Of course, "like new" would also involve dealing with the gold leaf, and that would involve a lot more work.

Make sure you send it to someone who knows what they are doing and can sort out the spine issues. With the exception of Bart, most pro honers do use synthetics simply because they are faster, more efficient, and more consistent. Naturals are great as finishers, but they are impractical for pro honers for any other purpose. Regardless of aesthetic work you decide to have done on it, you will end up with a great razor!

I am up near Victorville. I'd love to get together sometime. Anything to get me out and meeting new peeps, not to mention getting my mind off of work!!

We had a very nice time on the last one. Be on the lookout for a possible one in June.
You can bring your babies to show them off. I'll bring my pussycat collection.:tongue_sm

Unfortunately it will be virtually impossible to restore the razor to "like new" condition, and that involves more than just honing. You'll have to decide if you just want it honed to shave ready or if you want further restoration done. Though some are purists about leaving original pinning, I would recommend taking the razor apart, clearing the corrosion out of the pivot, cleaning the scales inside and out, and then re-pinning it. Of course, "like new" would also involve dealing with the gold leaf, and that would involve a lot more work.

Make sure you send it to someone who knows what they are doing and can sort out the spine issues. With the exception of Bart, most pro honers do use synthetics simply because they are faster, more efficient, and more consistent. Naturals are great as finishers, but they are impractical for pro honers for any other purpose. Regardless of aesthetic work you decide to have done on it, you will end up with a great razor!

Good advice here.

FYI- I think Jarrod at Superior Shave finishes with a two coticule regimen on all his razors. I do recall him telling me that when I purchased one.

Don't be too worried about the "spine issues". That razor isn't in bad shape AT ALL. It could be properly honed in a few minutes easily. Nice score.

U

Utopian

I agree, but the spine would benefit from being corrected rather than just being taped over.

Don't be too worried about the "spine issues". That razor isn't in bad shape AT ALL. It could be properly honed in a few minutes easily. Nice score.

I agree. A narrow hone (like my Nouvelle Veine :001_smile) should have no problems making that razor sharp and smooth like silk.:001_rolle

Top Bottom