What's new

Guess that mysterious item

This is actually a homemade "puffer" ---used to infuse air during glassmaking in order to make bubbles.

However, since beer has bubbles AND is commonly drunk from various types of glass vessels... resulting in people getting infused with laughter---- I'm going to say that you win this round! (But we still would like to hear from Desi about his alternative use for this device.)

Bill: you're up next.

$34220-2.jpg

And, go!

The bike is a Wright Brother's bicycle. The dothingy on the front wheel is the forerunner to a wind tunnel. The brothers road fast and counted revolutions to determine the drag created by different shapes.

If this is Wright, would someone please step in for me. I may not have internet access over the next week?

BTW - I saw this at the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum in April.

Here's something not found in every garage:

View attachment 590545
Why would you want this?

Once I figure out what something does, I don't often insist that it be used in only one fashion. I have used splitters that looked just like those to run multiple sets of cold cathode tube light units. I'm sure that the fellow who sold them to me re-purposed them from someone else who had some other completely different project in mind.

They are wires, terminals, and shrink tubing.

Wires, terminals, shrink tube, check. I am POSITIVE these get re-purposed on a regular basis. It is CHARGING to think about whatever else could be done with them. Here's a hint, the multiple wire connector lead usually has multiple colors other than red and black. The two wire lead is always red and black. Both sets are required at the same time.

NEGATIVE on the copier.

Phil

$Fp4W6.jpg
This is a Bluebird house saw. It can only be used to saw lumber for making Bluebird Houses.

$ftokodiaksm.jpg
This is a Mail Box Shovel. It can used only for digging holes in which mail box posts are set.

:thumbup1:

Just because you can use a screw driver to open paint cans doesn't make it a paint can opener.

Last edited:
No one is interested in what is what you last used some junk wire for. I have a huge carton chock full of wires that look like that--with all sorts of terminations. The only reason I save them is that perhaps one day I'll be able to put them to use for some other similar application. To insist that it be used only for what it was when you acquired it is just silly.

Cute discussion, but I can see what he's driving at; he's looking for the specific purpose for which they are manufactured, otherwise they are not the least bit "mysterious".

His last clue was pretty effective and I almost know. I remember seeing that configuration in the context that is hinted, but I just can't remember what device it was for.

Top Bottom