What's new

Guess that mysterious item

OK, I just went for a little wander around the house and found this...

proxy.php

Very nice. Do you use it any?

Phil

I would guess it as an all-metal version from between WWII and the 1970's.

I have used plastic practice versions, with amusing results.

Phil

Legion

Staff member
I would guess it as an all-metal version from between WWII and the 1970's.

I have used plastic practice versions, with amusing results.

Phil

Way off base, time wise. Say what you think it is. If you are close enough I'll show a picture of the whole thing.

Legion

Staff member
A sextant

When I took sightings with a practice sextant I was in Toledo Ohio and put myself nearly in Florida.

Phil

Close enough. It is actually a mariners octant, the precursor of the sextant. This one is made of ebony and from the 1700's. I found it in a box of junk at a rubbish tip store. They had no idea what it was, so I got it for $5. The reason I haven't tried to use it is because it is missing the scale that went along the bottom, and would have been carved on ivory.

proxy.php

Wow, beautiful too. I wouldn't have thought it wood! It is so tight looking. It really looks like it is metal with flat black paint on it.

I don't have anything for the next round though. Problem with having a brain full of almost useless stuff...

Phil

A pair of binoculars ... they had these on the observation deck of the Empire State Building.

You put a coin in the triangular thingie on top, and that would allow you a set number of minutes to look through the lenses.

The hinge at the bottom threw me for a minute, until I realized you would need to be able to tilt it up and down.

Legion

Staff member
Yep! It's a model A View-Master, the first model they made.

Sort of like a double ring to View-Master collectors.

proxy.php

Top Bottom