What's new

Guess that mysterious item

It's pretty obvious to me that it's very small, like the ball is approximately the size of a standard marble and the base is about an inch and a quarter in diameter. The crosshatched brass is a pattern that I've seen on many things and never in a variety of sizes. That's a grip pattern for small items.

I suspect that many of you would have guessed what the item was... if the underside of it was shown.

View attachment 574116

This is a fog nozzle that firemen would use on their hoses... back around 1849. I would imagine that the man holding the hose would get at least as soaked as whatever fire he was attempting to extinguish.

And.... please remember to "keep back 500 feet" from any fire apparatus on the road. :001_huh:

I suspect that many of you would have guessed what the item was... if the underside of it was shown.

View attachment 574116

This is a fog nozzle that firemen would use on their hoses... back around 1849. I would imagine that the man holding the hose would get at least as soaked as whatever fire he was attempting to extinguish.

And.... please remember to "keep back 500 feet" from any fire apparatus on the road. :001_huh:

Very cool "mysterious item"! :thumbup1:

I'm confused as to how this thing works ... which end does the water come out of?

And even though I can't see the bottom, I don't know how it would attach to the hose?
Don't fire hoses have a grooved attachment that locks down with a half-turn, instead of regular spiral threads?

I'm confused as to how this thing works ... which end does the water come out of?

And even though I can't see the bottom, I don't know how it would attach to the hose?
Don't fire hoses have a grooved attachment that locks down with a half-turn, instead of regular spiral threads?
+1

The water would come up through the bottom... and make the ball vibrate all around inside its cage. As for how it attaches to a hose, just ask any fireman who was around during the 19th century.

Here is a newer item for you to identify:

$b.jpg

Top Bottom