What's new

Adventures in shaving part I

I just had the craziest shave - and perhaps the best shave...

I'm away at a conference and decided to load my kit bag with all the samples I've received. It's not that much, really, just a few shaving creams and just a few aftershaves. I packed a Jagger de89L, a jagger best brush, some personna reds, and that's it. I'm relying on hotel housewares to supplement the rest.

Well, my shave a couple of days ago was fine but tonight I nearly royally effed up. Turns out I made the same mistake twice: (1) what I thought was two small tubes of shaving cream from Japan were really a shaving cream and aftershave. I used the cream already (as luck would have it I used it first). I thought the other one was a cream too but I just couldn't get it to lather like the other one. Go figure, it's an aftershave to follow up the other tube, the cream. So I chucked that and started over. But! (2) I have this sample box of Decleor "rasage perfecteur serum" and "apres rasage." Yes, I know the latter is aftershave but for some reason I thought they were a shaving cream (the AS) and aftershave (the serum). So, I couldn't get that to lather either. I was bummed because I didn't have anything else to shave with, that was it, and it's a bit late to go fetch something, and it's a conference, so I need a shave.

So, I think I just shaved off a pre-shave oil, really. That's it. Nothing else. I took the "serum," rubbed it all over my face, and in an unprecedented pass-and-a-half, I have a BBS shave. No cream, just the serum. I then proceeded to apply the aftershave with my brush, because that was the last aftershave sample I had, too.

And you know what? No nicks, no rash, no burn. I think I just had the best shave ever off some random pieces in my kit and only with an oil and some
AS!!!

And by the way, remember those plastic cases we used to use in the 90's to hold our 3-1/2" floppies? They make GREAT travel boxes for razor, blades, styptic and I put in two small 5ml plastic atomizers of witch hazel (which I didn't use tonight) and aftershave (also not used tonight).

Man, my face and neck are smooth, slick and feel great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does the title of this thread say "Adventures in having" on the message board but when you click on the thread it says "Adventures in Shaving," like's it's supposed to? The adventure never ends!

Interesting. That sounds like one of those shaves that you'll try to replicate and just end up mangling your face.

Good that it worked.

I may have simply built a lather from the hotel soap (and considered mixing in some hotel hand cream, shampoo, or conditioner).

Top Bottom