What's new

Which blade for first DE shave?

My Fat Boy should be here any day and my sampler pack of blades arrived today. I have the following choices:

-- Feather Hi-Stainless
-- Shark Super Stainless
-- Shark Super Chrome
-- Gillette Silver Blue
-- Astra Superior Platinum
-- Lord Platinum Class
-- Lord Super Stainless
-- Bolzano Superinox
-- Rapira Super Stainless

That's a lot of "Super". [There's even some German Super(inox) in there. I don't like the sound of those Super Germans.] It's like we're nine-year-old boys being sold toy robots or dinky cars or something. What's next, Mega Stainless, Shizzle Stainless?

Anyway, what would you use for your first DE shave? I know it doesn't really matter, but maybe just indulge me on this one. I'm leaning towards the Gillette Silver Blues, mostly because there's no "Super" in the name.:biggrin1:

Astra is as good as any! Start from the middle of the list and work in one direction. Have a plan, like using two blades of each brand, taking notes, and working through the list. You should end up with a top three. Try these again, then settle on one blade for several weeks while your technic gets better and better.

Have fun!

The Silver Blues are an excellent blade, but are Feather sharp. May be a bit risky if you've never used a DE before. I concur with Astra being a good first time out.

There is a long history behind using word "Super" and at the time it had to do with real changes in manufacturing materials and techniques. That discussion however belongs somewhere else.

If I was going through the sample pack you mentioned, this is the order I would choose.

In order of smooth and forgiving to Sharper and less forgiving.

Astra Superior Platinum
Lord Platinum Class
Rapira Super Stainless
Lord Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Super Stainless
Bolzano Superinox
Feather Hi-Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue

These are all fine blades.:thumbup1: I think you are going to enjoy them all.

K40

I started with the ones that I perceived as lower quality based on reviews and comments and now I am working my way back down the food chain. In three weeks I went. (In order)

American Personna
German Wilkys
Derby
Crystal
Israeli Personna
Astra Platinum
Feather
back to Astra

Most shaves with the Crystals - I found them smooth and used five blades in a row while I worked technique. Really like the Astras and the Feathers as was predicted by a BB sage.

Shark Super Chrome is what I'd choose. I hated Astra when I tried it - lots of tugging, not much cutting. I was surprised because many people like those blades.

No matter which blade you choose, the most important thing to remember is (all together, now)...ZERO pressure! Keep the blade in contact with your skin, but that's it. Don't worry about getting a smooth result. If you focus on technique, smoothness will develop.

Also, before you begin, make sure you know your blood type. (Just kidding. Probably.)

Best of luck.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Karl:
My advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Long ago when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :lol1:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Shark Super Chrome is what I'd choose. I hated Astra when I tried it - lots of tugging, not much cutting. I was surprised because many people like those blades.

Agreed. I was semi-excited to try them and found them worse than Walmart Wilkinsons or Walmart Personnas (when they carried them). Feathers are what I have settled on but there are several that I could have survived with.

From a noob to another, I had my 3rd DE shave ever this morning, using a Feather, first two I used a Blue Bird.
I had no problems using the Feather, my face is still unharmed :thumbup1:
It was just a nice shave using them. I'm of course still extremely careful and try and let the weight of the razor do the work for me. Do a search here on those Silver Blues, they seem to be extremely sharp as well.
Best of luck!
So far one of the coolest things for me is the sound of the blade cutting through the hairs, I love it.

Last edited:
I'd go with Shark Super Chrome or Astra.

Feathers are fantastic once you learn your technique and understand exactly what NO pressure means. It's even less pressure than you will be able to think of when you first start out. I love all three of those blades.

Astra is as good as any! Start from the middle of the list and work in one direction. Have a plan, like using two blades of each brand, taking notes, and working through the list. You should end up with a top three. Try these again, then settle on one blade for several weeks while your technic gets better and better.

Have fun!

Perfectly said,
assuming you spoke out loud while you were typing... and assuming you are Morgan Freeman:thumbup1:

Astra it is.

Like some others, I did the spreadsheet thing at 1st b/c I felt a little overwhelmed with the learning curve on all the other parts of the experience.

Enjoy yourself.

Top Bottom