What's new

Rhodium plated fat boy

Obviously everyone knows of the 'standard' fat boy and the gold plated executive but was a Rhodium plated fat boy ever produced? Saw one recently for sale that was snapped up within 24 hours of being posted at over GBP 200!

Obviously everyone knows of the 'standard' fat boy and the gold plated executive but was a Rhodium plated fat boy ever produced? Saw one recently for sale that was snapped up within 24 hours of being posted at over GBP 200!

no, it´s rhodium replated.

I thought so as I could find no mention of it on B&B or on Mr Razor. So out of interest did Gillette make any Rhodium plated DE razors?

Some of the British Gillettes are Rhodium.
They command a pretty good price these days.
I'm no expert in those models.
Someone will be along shortly i'm sure. :001_smile

Rhodium British Gillettes are #15(#20), #16, #21, #66(#22), Popular #47 and TV Rocket(only handle is rhodium like President).

Although I've never seen a Rhodium Fatboy, I've recently acquired a D, E, F, and G Fatboy for $80 in a lot on Fleabay and intend to have them re-plated post haste in 24k, Rhodium, Rose Gold, and Nickle. I'm looking forward to the end result. I have a strange fascination for the Fatboy although I prefer my '40's Aristocrats. There's just something about a super shiny Fatboy that calls to me like a far off whisper on the wind.

Speaking of re-plates, have any of you gents had experience with HIBCO Shave services? They seem a little inexpensive in comparison to the rest of the restorers I've located.

Speaking of re-plates, have any of you gents had experience with HIBCO Shave services? They seem a little inexpensive in comparison to the rest of the restorers I've located.
I have the Short Comb and the Long Comb NEWs replated in Rhodium from Hibco; Scott and I have had our disagreements over other things, but I like his buffing and replating work VERY much.

And to respond to an earlier post: The very first razor I ever wanted (even before I was shaving) was the 195 Fatboy. I asked for one for Christmas of 1958 but my parents laughed at me. I finally found a very nice D4 Fatboy and by that time I was also hot for a Rhodium-handled President. I had the bottom replated in Rhodium by OCRazorman and left the top in its original nickel. I love that razor, but I now love an ATT M2 on a UFO Colibri handle even better.

Tom

Top Bottom