What's new

hard water vs. soft water

hard or soft?

• The harder, the better.

• Make it softer!

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, I'll just say this right away: I hate hard water. It's probably because the water at my house is treated to make it softer, and I've gotten used to it. Whenever I'm traveling up to school, the very first thing I notice is how unbelievably hard the water is. To me, hard water is like rubbing your bum across an innertube. Not enjoyable.

But...I think there are some people out there who have not only learned to tolerate it, but they actually prefer it. Crazy, crazy people.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what people generally think about the subject. Vote away!

Supposedly hard water is better for you however it's bad for plumbing and appliances, tastes bad, is bad for shaving and feels bad in normal use. Of course there's hard water and really hard water.

I have really hard water here in San Antonio. In February, I had Kinetico install their system. It is awesome.

Just got a new softener and purifier system, as the old one died a very slow death.

The water quality is amazing, and what a difference it makes in the shaves! The lather is slicker and the shave is smoother. Plus - no more limescale accumulation on the brush and razors!

I've had to re-learn how to make lather with the newly softened water, as i got used to dealing with increasingly hard water for the past year.

The thing I dislike about soft water is the feeling that i cant get the soap off.

That feeling may be there, but soft water actually removes soap better than hard water. Water itself has a natural sort of "slip" to it, and that is what you are feeling when you wash with soft water. The sort of squeaky clean or gripping sensation that you get with hard water is actually the soap scum that has been left on your skin.

I hate hard water too. My parents have a water softener, but here in collegeland, the water is crazy hard. It took me months to figure out how to build good lather in this water, and even then, it still isn't nearly as good as the lather back at my parents place.

Top Bottom