What's new

Who can get a decent lather from Ogallala bay rum?

Seriously, I don't have any problems whipping up a good lather with TOBS soap or cream, or proraso. No matter what I do with the OBR soaps, I can't get anything but a crappy thin lather that disappears almost before my eyes. I actually put foam all over the mirror the other day when I threw my shaving brush back into the mug in frustration. Does anyone else have the same problem with these amazing smelling soaps?

File another one under YMMV. I was given a sample size of this a while ago. Excellent lather, although maybe I should mention that I face lather everything.

On the other hand, I couldn't stand the smell. Bay rum is just awful, as far as I'm concerned. The same vendor sent me a sample of OBR aftershave, which went right down the drain after one sniff.

I also have no problem face lathering Ogallala soaps. Of course, if you have hard water, that could explain the problem. Also, you may want to try different ratios of water. In my opinion, it is worth continuing to give it a try, one of my favorite soaps.

Jeff

Man, I found just the opposite! I whip up soap like cool whip and need to add water to get it to spread off my brush! I like the soap, but I like tallow based soaps better.

When we switched to city water I had to change my technique for this soap and a few others and now I can get enough lather in my brush to do 3 passes on my head and 3 passes on my face w/o having to reload the brush!

It may be over-kill but when I shave both my face and head I follow these steps (Not just for Ogallala)

1)microwave 5 oz. of distilled water.
-I know, it's a bit of extra work to stand in front of the microwave and heat 4-6 oz. of distilled water for a minute but I'm aiming for the ultimate shave, not a drive-through McShave.

2)Pour the hot distilled water onto the soap in a mug and place brush on top to soak for a minute or so. (reload a blade, splash face, whatever.)

3) Remove excess water from brush, pour the water from the soap mug back into the container you microwaved in and when you need to wet the brush tips, use this still warm water.

4) Load the brush on the soap for a good 30 seconds and then lather directly on face or wherever.
(If I use my city water from the tap I have to double the brush load time)

And as I pointed out in another thread, the lather is a bit different.
From the Ogallala website:

Even though you can get a REAL nice lather from this soap, here's what we like to do. Whip this stuff up into a THICK lather. Not fluffy. So when it is fluffy, keep whippin' a bit till it is really thick, ...almost paste like. Then apply to your whiskers (which hopefully you have already splashed with warm water). It should look sorta like stage makeup when applied to your face. Kinda like a danged mime. (I hate mimes.....but you gotta do what ya gotta do.) Then shave away.....

Last edited:
I had a tough time with Ogallala too. Could never seem to get a good lather. I eventually traded it as it just sat on my shelf collecting dust.

Seriously, I don't have any problems whipping up a good lather with TOBS soap or cream, or proraso. No matter what I do with the OBR soaps, I can't get anything but a crappy thin lather that disappears almost before my eyes. I actually put foam all over the mirror the other day when I threw my shaving brush back into the mug in frustration. Does anyone else have the same problem with these amazing smelling soaps?

I did a post quite awhile ago outlining my "method". I've since sold the soaps, however.

Here's a link:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148454

Hope it helps!

I had a tough time with Ogallala too. Could never seem to get a good lather. I eventually traded it as it just sat on my shelf collecting dust.

I think you're the guy I sold it to actually!

I couldn't get a usable lather from this soap either at first. Keep a slightly wetter brush when you go to load, not drippy but wetter than it is. Load the HELL out of that brush. Until you've almost built enough lather on the puck, scrape all that lather out with your finger and put it in your lather bowl, on your face, wherever you build your lather. Start churning, add water, churn, add water, churn, etc... until you have the lather you want. This soap was WAY thirstier than I was used to.

This one has always been a subpar performer for me. I can get it to lather but it is not worth the effort for me. Too many great products out there for me to use this one.

Even with the best lather I can get, it still isn't as rich and thick and creamy as I'm used to, but it sure delivers a terrific shave and leaves my face feeling great. So I keep it around but it's not a daily user for me.

I've had problems too. If you load the heck out of the brush, you can get stable lather, but it still isn't the best.

OBR is my go-to soap for a good shave. Hands down the best I've had.

It's been a while since I've used a puck of the soap but the shave sticks make quick and fast lather. They last forever and the brush gets loaded enough for 4 passes if necessary.

I fill the sink with hot water and soak my brush / razor as I shower. When I'm ready to shave I wet my face with warm water then get a nice buildup with the shave stick. I shake the warm brush out then face lather! Add a bit of water to the tip of the brush, face later more! Again! I stop once the later is thick but not sticky anymore.

You definitely don't want the lather "fluffy" but still pretty firm. Keep your razor nice and wet during the shave.

If you figure out the lather it's amazing stuff!!! I think I remember reading a few years ago that there were some complaints about lather and he changed the formulation a bit and made a great improvement. If you have not tried it for a number of years maybe give it a go again.

On the other hand, I couldn't stand the smell. Bay rum is just awful, as far as I'm concerned. The same vendor sent me a sample of OBR aftershave, which went right down the drain after one sniff.

I'm shaking my fist in rage at you right now.

I do OK with it with face lathering, so-so with bowl. What I do for CRAZY lather is about 20 seconds on the Ogalala soap with the brush, then move to a new, larger bowl for about 20 seconds of lathering, then add a pump of Kiss My Face. It gets so thick I have to add a lot of water, but it's great lather.

I was very disappointed with the lather and the scents. I got thin, airy foam infused with nuclear perfume.

Top Bottom