What's new

Newbie needing advice on initial purchases

Hello, I've recently made the decision to start wet shaving. I first read about it in the off topic forums on my local car message board, then found an article on Art of Manliness about it (How to Shave Like Your Grandpa) which then led me to this great site.

I'd like some input on putting together my first kit. Based on a few things I've read in the Getting started wet shaving tutorial and looking around the site, these are the items I've chosen;

-Merkur 34C HD
-DE Blade sampler pack, extended
-Proraso Pre-Post Cream
-Proraso Shaving Cream or Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream, Sandalwood
-Omega boar brush
-Alum block
-Pinaud-Clubman Aftershave Lotion

I'm planning on getting everything from West Coast Shaving.com, so all of the items were chosen from their site.

Any input or suggestions on different/missing items would be greatly appreciated!

Actually, if that is your "I'm getting these" list, then that pretty much account for everything that you might need. Now, it probably won't encompass what you will want after a fairly short time doing this, but still is a great start.

All great choices. I'd stick with the Proraso Cream (tube) because it makes a great pair with Proraso Pre. I prefer badger over boar brushes. So I recommend the cheapest Simpson brush which should be around $40 or a Tweezerman off of Amazon for $15. As you checkout at westcoastshaving, input "bandb" for a $10% off for B&B members.

Welcome to B&B. You'll like here. :thumbup:

Hello and Welcome to B&B!

I think you should also look at the Merkur 23C which is the same as the 34C except with a longer handle.

I'd also think about some Mama Bear Soaps...They are very inexpensive and produce an awesome lather that would work beautifully with that Omega Brush.

Perhaps you should also look at the ASTRA Blades...they work very well and are dirt cheap at around $9 for 100 shipped to the CONUSA from Ebay...search the bay for ASTRA, or see this thread here at B&B.

Other than that I think your starter den looks good! We are here for you so ask lots of questions and remember that your face will require a break-in period...do not push at all and let the blade do the work! Stick with it and you should do fine!

Cheers and Welcome! :thumbup:

Hello, I've recently made the decision to start wet shaving. I first read about it in the off topic forums on my local car message board, then found an article on Art of Manliness about it (How to Shave Like Your Grandpa) which then led me to this great site.

I'd like some input on putting together my first kit. Based on a few things I've read in the Getting started wet shaving tutorial and looking around the site, these are the items I've chosen;

-Merkur 34C HD
-DE Blade sampler pack, extended
-Proraso Pre-Post Cream
-Proraso Shaving Cream or Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream, Sandalwood
-Omega boar brush
-Alum block
-Pinaud-Clubman Aftershave Lotion

I'm planning on getting everything from West Coast Shaving.com, so all of the items were chosen from their site.

Any input or suggestions on different/missing items would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Great choices - proraso green tub soap was my first soap and I'll never be without it. In fact I still have my first tub 5 months on and I've not yet run out, it's awesome - extremely refreshing (especially if you end up cold shaving). Alum block is invaluable as it'll give you 'feedback' on your shaving - get to the stage where it doesn't sting and you'll know you're doing well :thumbup1: I also use an omega boar brush and it's barely lost any of its hair, they also get much softer through use. As for the razor - that exact one shall be my next purchase! :thumbup:

Thanks for the quick reply's! I should be placing my order in the next week or so. And yes, I was debating getting the 23C for the longer handle, that's something I have to decide before ordering.

Excellent choices! Do practice lathering and spend a lot of time with your brush. It will take a while to break in. Have fun!

Welcome to B&B! :biggrin1:

Have you considered putting a soap on your to-get list, just to see your soap vs cream preference? Anyway, that looks a great start.

Welcome to B&B! :biggrin1:

Have you considered putting a soap on your to-get list, just to see your soap vs cream preference? Anyway, that looks a great start.

Yeah maybe I should get one of each. Also, how does everyone store their razors, can I leave it laying on a cloth or something, or are there stands I can buy? I suppose that would be a good idea to hang the brush, too.

Congrats on your interest and your future purchase. You will be pleased with those items.

Stick with the proraso shave cream. For the money, it's one of the best creams you will find. Also, make sure your blade sampler includes some derbys or red israeli personnas. They are good starter blades, as they are forgiving, yet sharp enough to let you know how you are doing. Just a suggestion as to what helped me.

You will enjoy doing business with John. Fantastic vendor.

Welcome to B&B!

Looks like you got everything you need. My next recommendation would be to read this page: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Getting_started_wetshaving

+1 to the wiki king:thumbup: I would say you have a great setup to begin with as well. Just stick with what you have and test out the blade sampler before changing anything else so that you can see the difference in each blade. Also try out more than one of each blade before making the decision that it is or isn't for you. Proraso is a a good product and builds a nice lather with ease. Check out the reviews on each product before ordering so you kinda have an idea of what to expect from them.

+10000 for Art of Manliness:thumbup:

Last edited:
Great kit. One could nitpick here and there on personal preferences, but what you're lining up, I could shave with for the rest of my life. I have to laugh when I look back on the first purchases I made piece by piece, almost all poor newbie choices, none of which survived the first six months. Westcoastshaving is a fine vendor as well. Friendly advice, great service, and good value. I also found B&B through AoM.

Last edited:
I am not sure you need the pre Shave product Proraso Shaving Cream does a great job. I would second a cheap simpson brush. I am on my first omega boar, very different feel from a badger though. Welcome and enjoy DE.

Merkur 37C (slant).
Yelllow Feather blades.
Irish Moose and KMF Key Lime shave creams.
Proraso Aloe & Green Tea shave soap.
Edwin Jagger medium best badger.
Styptic pencil.
4711 AS.

Top Bottom