What's new

First Single Malt

Gentlemen,
My ever expanding repetoire of vices now includes scotch, but I have yet to sample a single malt. I currently drink blended scotch, in my defense the liquer store in Amman, Jordan only had Famous Grouse. Now that I am back in the states, I intend to try something new. Any reccomendations for a first timer?

Going to be a tough one, it took me a few goes to figure what region I prefered.

For me a good starting point would be Laphroaig Quarter Cask or a Talisker 10 year old but I'm more for the peaty malts.

Possibly a more starter friendly dram would be Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old, I still drink this on a regular basis. Its just a nice whisky IMO.

I'm looking forward to seeing other's recommendations, lots to try & so little time :001_smile

My advice would be to start with a relatively simple scotch, like Glenlivet, or something quite smooth, like Auchentoshan.

Single malt scotch is about subtlety and complexity, let yourself acquire the proper palette by going slowly.

/raising my glass of Aberfeldy- welcome to a very fine world of taste.

Since most single malts are not inexpensive, it might not be a bad idea to do some research on the various regions first, that is Highland, Isley, etc. Each region has its own "flavors" of note and you may find from a simple description what may or may not be of interest to you. Anything you read will provide some examples of the regional distilleries so you can visit your local store to make your purchase.

You might also poke around some local bars to see if anyone has an extensive scotch menu. Although expensive by the glass, it will give you a chance to sample before you buy an entire bottle.

For myself, I stuck with Highland malts like Balvenie, Oban, and Dahlwinnie. Never could get past the peat taste of the Islay malts. Have fun exploring.

Glenmorangie - best selling single malt in Scotland. Anything the locals prefer has to be a wise choice (also it's a nice smooth dram).

Highland Park 12. Has everything that makes scotch great without going overboard on any particular element, so it makes for a great "baseline" to start experimenting with others that have more peat or different wood, etc. And it is quite affordable for a single malt.

Highland Park 12. Has everything that makes scotch great without going overboard on any particular element, so it makes for a great "baseline" to start experimenting with others that have more peat or different wood, etc. And it is quite affordable for a single malt.

Great recommendation. It is impossible to go wrong with HP.:thumbup1:

I'm not to far away from Scotland and have sampled quite a few single malts, I'd say these two left a positive impression Glenmorangie & Dalwhinnie. Wasn't as keen on Islay, a bit peetie for my liking. Glenmorangie seems to be the one most readily available for ye common folk, always available from the local supermarkets.

Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie or Highland Park IMO.

if you start off with the wrong sort, I fear you may go completely off this enormous sensory pleasure. These are great suggestions! Add to them Glenfarclas. Glenlivet. Regions to start; Speyside and Orkney Isles. Reserve Skye (Talisker) and the Islay malts for when you advance :thumbup1:

As you already enjoy blends I would jump in with something that has a bit more flavor to it. If you like smoky whisky, then no doubt the Islay malts have it covered. Balvenie Double Wood is a good Speyside starter, and Maccallan 12yo is a fine Highland whisky.

The thing to remember with single malts is that the different regions all offer different types of flavors, and whiskys of the same region are pretty close to one another in flavor profiles. So, if you don't like Islay, you may still enjoy Speyside, Highland or some other region. Not all single malts are good, but all the regions have fine offerings.

Best thing to do, would probably be to go to a bar with different whiskys on the shelf and try a couple to see which way you lean and then buy something at a liquor store.

My advice would be to start with a relatively simple scotch, like Glenlivet, or something quite smooth, like Auchentoshan.

Single malt scotch is about subtlety and complexity, let yourself acquire the proper palette by going slowly.

/raising my glass of Aberfeldy- welcome to a very fine world of taste.

+1 on the Glenlivet!

Glenmorangie isn't the best selling single malt in Scotland because of price - it's a fine whisky. Glenlivet is also a great baseline single malt. I've been drinking it for over 30 years and have never been disappointed. It's available in most good restaurants and bars, so if it's to your taste you've always got a go-to whisky.

Ford

Top Bottom