What's new

Non razor sharpening advice

Hi Everyone,
I've got some knives that I'd like to start really sharpening properly - most specifically my Gerber paraframe and a getting on a fantastically looked after 30 year old Montana fixed blade hunting knife (Montana cutlery Corp - essentially a Japanese take on the Old Timer).

I have a pair of soft and hard Arkansas stones (pocket knife size (say 15cm x 8cm)) and I've been able to get a fairly good edge on the both (I can readily cut paper using just the weight of the blade in a drawing motion) but I want to get a really good edge.

I also have a pair of relatively decent japanese kitchen knives I want to keep a real edge on.

Now I'm not looking to shave from the edge (despite the obvious temptation) but I'm looking for stone advice, technique advice, etc. My non kitchen knives are for odd jobs around the house and whilst camping, not for daily use as it's illegal to carry any blade on your person outside of your property without a smacking good reason (eg camping).

Thoughts suggestions comments etc gladly accepted.

Cheers.

I use a diamond stone called an Ez-Lap, it's about 1in wide and 8" long. The leather sleeve it's comes with I use a a strop. I use it on everything fron fish hooks to poaket knives to my kitchen knives. All the guys i work with in the
Oilfield bring their knives to me, just because we haven't found another stone like this locally.The best advice I got was from an old Scouter, when you freehand a knife on a stone hold the blade as if you are trying to shave off the thinnest of stone you think you can.

Top Bottom