What's new

Oven range?

So it looks like we'll be moving into the old homestead at the end of the summer. The kitchen is pretty nice, but the appliances need an upgrade desperately. We went to the local appliance store today to start looking at prices as it's been so long since we've bought an appliance we have no idea how much things cost these days. Budget in mind was $3000 for everything. I see now how laughably small an amount that is. :angry:
What really struck our fancy was the Viking Designer Dual Source. Price tag $4700 which blows our budget away without even getting any of the other things we'll need.
So the question here is:
Is that a common price for that kind of range or is this place trying to fleece me?
and
Is the Viking really $3500 better than the other top end GE gas ranges (the other brand carried locally)?
I'm not saying I won't spend $4700 on a range, but it really needs to be worth the price increase.
We're not gourmands, but we do cook alot down to baking our own bread. This might inspire us to reach new heights - the new place is 30 minutes out of town so most every meal will be cooked and we'll need to try new things to keep from going crazy (What?? Foie gras again??? :biggrin1: ).

I am in the appliance biz, have been almost 15 years. The honest truth is that Viking, Wolf, Thermador, ect... are over priced. Take a look at the Café collection from GE. JennAir, Whirlpool, Maytag, ect... are all Whirlpool. They make the best fridges and laundry, but GE make the best stoves. The "commercial" appliances are not better then your domestic high end product anymore, and you must consider who will have parts, technical data and the experience to fix it. If you want THE BEST, check out a refurbished Garland. Now that is a commercial duty range, and can be had for under $2000. A good refurb will look and function like new, and still have a one year warranty.

OK, they had the GE Cafe there - I'll take a closer look at them. Thanks for the post.

Anytime. I hear people talk about "commercial" appliances, but the domestic stuff (in high end lines) has improved, but the commerial stuff has cheapened a lot. I you want specific info, PM the model # to me, and I can get you any info you want. I have a access to all the manufatures technical data, as well as specifications and service updates/bullitins. I sell/service/refurbish all makes and models, and I never hesitate to bash a piece of junk (2/3 of the current models).

Last edited:
Top Bottom