What's new

Did I wear this one out?

strop

Now half as wise
For the last 7 or 8 years this has been my daily (read only:laugh:) brush, except for the Col. Conk travel brush when not at home. I used the mug in the background with a puck of soap...usually Conk or Williams when I ran out and had to get some locally. I used a cart at the time so only one pass. I know know:lol:that I was face lathering after loading the brush, but learned that after being around here:lol::thumbup1:. Now this little guy was never very dense, was very soft, and no backbone, but I got it for $3 at an antique mall. Had powder in it, so probably spent a part of it's life as a makeup brush.

As you can see, the middle is practically gone. How long does it take to wear out a brush? I plan to order a knot from TGN and try my hand at restoration. Anyone have any idea as to a maker. The printing says Pure Badger Made in England. The bottom has cast raised letters, but it appears to have been turned since there is no seam. The black band is raised, almost a separate piece so I suspect it may be two part.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

P

Pjotr

.............How long does it take to wear out a brush? I plan to order a knot from TGN and try my hand at restoration.........

I'd say seven or eight years to wear out a brush! Mind you if you bought it second hand I'd say it's even longer than that. I've heard stories of brushes lasting ten years of daily use. In any case it's worth a restore. Nice to know. That means my current rotation of a modest 6 brushes will last until my great grand children discover wet shaving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had wondered why the middles were dipped in some of my vintage brushes. Wasn't sure if it was wear and tear or if cream users had trimmed them to make a reservoir for cream being shot right into the brush. I guess this answers that. Well done.

Based on the printing I'd say that is almost certainly a vulfix.

I've got an 8 - 9 year old boar that is just not usable any longer.

I too used it daily with carts before discovering DE. At least we had the instinct. :lol:

strop

Now half as wise
I've got an 8 - 9 year old boar that is just not usable any longer.

I too used it daily with carts before discovering DE. At least we had the instinct. :lol:

Yeah, I know. All those years lost:thumbdown. But just think, I can make up for all those years now:thumbup1: New razors, new brushes, new soaps, new creams (never knew they existed:lol:) aftershaves. This is starting to be a lot of fun!:thumbup::thumbup:

Mark

Hmm, interesting. I have a Shavemac that I have been using almost daily for two years now. I am interested to see how long mine lasts.

Hmm, interesting. I have a Shavemac that I have been using almost daily for two years now. I am interested to see how long mine lasts.

Even if you only get 5 to 10 years of use out of it, the annualized cost of ownership is quite low.

-Andy

I found this brush over at The Shaving Room forum (UK). Looks close to yours.

Last edited:
I just recently purchased two new condition Ever-Ready pure badger brushes for $3.50 each. One was a 500PBT and a K40. The brushes were in excellent condition and I thought I would be able to just use them. Unfortunately the 18mm pure badger bristles were so thin and floppy when wet, that they were useless. I just ordered three 22mm TGN Finest FS, two band knots from Tony. If you have handle you like and have been using for many years I would just install a new TGN Finest FS knot in it.

Last edited:
Guess I never really gave any thought about how long brushes last. With that being said, what is the oldest brush anyone has that does not exhibit any excessive wear?

That last post makes me wonder about the "average" brush of yore. Are we spoiled by comparison?

I've never tried using a NOS brush, and the old ones I have are all thrashed...bent bristles, hair falling out in clumps, etc.

I'm guessing part of that is due to vintage glues being ravaged by time. I'd also think that Joe Blow the average brush user wasn't very particular about rinsing, drying and rotating brushes.

I wonder what the average life expectancy of a brush sold in the heyday of shaving brushes was?

strop

Now half as wise
It looks like a good candidate for a new knot. Have you tried to see if you can unscrew the botom of the handle?

It won't budge. :tongue_sm It sure looks like it could be 2 piece. That's why I was interested to see if it was a known maker. May have to pad some vise grips and give it a go.:w00t:

Mark

Last edited:
I would not apply any force to the handle. Some of the early bakelite or Catelin (spelling?) handles and plastic handles are very brittle. I am speaking from experience. I am in the process of repairing, what was a beautiful red /butterscotch handle that shattered, when I was using a Forstner bit to take out the old knot. I would just carefully take out the old knot and install a new TGN knot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom