What's new

3 New Semogue Brushes Today

nice choices. I'd say start breaking them in all at once. You won't really be able to tell their full potential until they've had some lathefs under their belts.

More then likely a Customs Thing, I ordered a 610 on 4/19 most times delivery has been ~14-17 TOTAL days so I'll probably receive it this Saturday. Absolutely worth the wait, Bruno ALWAYS Delivers with great customer service and products, I'd recommend trying the La Toja sensitive SC, great scent & lather.

Thanks for the timeline and the recommendation. Of course, their Easter holiday is much longer than ours, including Good Friday and Easter Monday, so that may add to the delay as well. I ordered the regular La Toja SC and stick and I am excited to give them a try with my new brushes. Hadn't considered the sensitive cream though, so now maybe I'll take another look at it.

Variety, sir! Variety! :thumbup:

Why do some of us feel the same "need" to have multiple razors, blades, soaps, creams, etc.?

Again, I say, "Variety".

On a more serious note: Since most men shave every day, there is something to be said with regards to making an otherwise mundane task pleasurable and even something to look forward to. Think of it as a time that is yours, and yours alone. Go ahead and indulge. For a very brief moment in the day your shave belongs to you. Close the bathroom door and leave the family, career, bills, home maintenance, etc. behind for just a little while and enjoy yourself!

Regards,

David

Thanks David, my sentiments exactly.

Variety, sir! Variety! :thumbup:

Why do some of us feel the same "need" to have multiple razors, blades, soaps, creams, etc.?

Again, I say, "Variety".

On a more serious note: Since most men shave every day, there is something to be said with regards to making an otherwise mundane task pleasurable and even something to look forward to. Think of it as a time that is yours, and yours alone. Go ahead and indulge. For a very brief moment in the day your shave belongs to you. Close the bathroom door and leave the family, career, bills, home maintenance, etc. behind for just a little while and enjoy yourself!

Regards,

David

David, I resemble this remark!:thumbup:

Living in San Francisco near the ocean, I actually do need to let my boars dry for more than 24 hours, otherwise they're still damp. So I have more than one. Many more than one.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Jeff

The reason for preference of boar brushes will vary, they are an everyman's option to badger as the top end versions are much less money than top shelf badgers. Having tried most of the top end brushes Ive come full circle back to boars because they work just as well if not better for me.

I'm curious -- since badger, ESP. Super or even silver tip -- is often considered the Rolls Royce of shaving brushes, what is the strong appeal (or specialized use) of a boar brush? Are boars considered the most effective bowl latherers, while badges are best for face lathering? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for indulging my newbiness...

Speaking as someone who has only been obsessionally wet-shaving for around three months, I will say that my primary attraction to boar brushes has to do with cost relative to brush dimensions (handle length, knot diameter, loft length). If a decent badger brush were to cost, say, $75 US, for the same cost I could instead have four to six boar brushes of quite varying dimensions, and with these I could start to learn of the effects of hand placement relative to the handle and bristles, how different knot sizes and lofts react to soaps and creams and face lathering, etc. Beyond this, and speaking subjectively, I just don't like how badger brushes take to the soaps (and then my skin) in lathering. Boar bristles are far more to my liking in this regard, and when left in their natural, undyed state, I actually find them to be more pleasing to look at than badger bristles.

it was mentioned that drying the boar brush is a good idea between shaves. why is that if you're just going to soak it for the next shave.

I'm curious -- since badger, ESP. Super or even silver tip -- is often considered the Rolls Royce of shaving brushes, what is the strong appeal (or specialized use) of a boar brush? Are boars considered the most effective bowl latherers, while badges are best for face lathering? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for indulging my newbiness...

After a Boar has broken in and the tips have splayed, they will retain enough Backbone for the hard Soaps and have softness on the tips CLOSE to a Super or Silver-tip.

I mainly use Triple-Milled Hard Soaps and prefer the Boar to a Silver-Tip, which I sold to a Co-Worker who preferred Creams.

I also use Horse Hair Brushes which fall in-between Boar and Badger for Softness and Backbone. Badgers such as My Black Badger can be Effective Bowl latherers and are a bit softer than the pure and have more Backbone than a Silver-Tip.

Irregardless of Hair/Bristle type Bowl or Face lathering is more determined by Loft, as a guideline; usually 50 and above are for bowl, 45 and less are better for face, anything between ~46- 52 or 53 can work for both, there are no real "rules in stone" each person has they're own preferences

Speaking as someone who has only been obsessionally wet-shaving for around three months, I will say that my primary attraction to boar brushes has to do with cost relative to brush dimensions (handle length, knot diameter, loft length). If a decent badger brush were to cost, say, $75 US, for the same cost I could instead have four to six boar brushes of quite varying dimensions, and with these I could start to learn of the effects of hand placement relative to the handle and bristles, how different knot sizes and lofts react to soaps and creams and face lathering, etc. Beyond this, and speaking subjectively, I just don't like how badger brushes take to the soaps (and then my skin) in lathering. Boar bristles are far more to my liking in this regard, and when left in their natural, undyed state, I actually find them to be more pleasing to look at than badger bristles.

A "decent" badger of ~$75.00 could work on soaps very well depending on Hair Grade and Loft irregardless of knot, I am waiting For a Finest set @50mm loft which should handle a hard soap well and provide the soft tips I like. I find the Finest Badger is a nice looking hair type compared to the Pure Badger. I own four different types of Hair/Bristle Brushes with a 50mm loft and 21-24mm knot; 3 Horse, 1 Boar, 1 Black Badger and one Finest (Still waiting on Delivery).

it was mentioned that drying the boar brush is a good idea between shaves. why is that if you're just going to soak it for the next shave.

Complete Drying of the Boar Knot allows the brush to reach its full lathering (Break-in) potential, ability to build and release lather, in a relatively shorter period of time. Many Boar users will have multiple Brushes to allow for a complete drying of the knot.

I'm curious -- since badger, ESP. Super or even silver tip -- is often considered the Rolls Royce of shaving brushes, what is the strong appeal (or specialized use) of a boar brush?

I have both board and badger and I find that the boar brushes are stiffer, which makes them better for building lather with resistant soaps like MWF. They are a bit 'scritchier' than badgers.

Of course, there's even differences among boars. My 'stiffest' boar is a cheap Caswell Massey board, and it also lathers the best. The 1305 is a much better quality brush, and it's second best of my boars in terms of lather. My new 830 has so far been a disappoint. I love the look, but the "tuft" is neither as dense or as spread out as the 1305, and doesn't have much backbone.

I'm looking forward to receiving my 610, probably in a couple of weeks. How long does it take to fully break in?

Dave

Depends, but I'd say after 15-20 lathers it'll be on its way. You'll notice the biggest improvements over the first month, but it continues to improve for months after as it breaks in more.

If this is your 1st Semogue, be prepared that breaking it in will try your patience.

As a follow-up, my 1250 was ordered on 4/17 and arrived on 5/6 and the envelope had been nibbled a bit by the folks at customs. That makes fifteen business days for the delivery (possibly including one or two Easter season holidays). Much longer than delivery to Canada, in any case.

Top Bottom