What's new

I've got a shedder!

I bought a Simpson Duke 3 a few weeks ago--loving it so far, especially with MWF. Unfortunately in the last week or so it has started shedding at least 10-20 hairs per shave, a lot of them getting into the lather and getting caught in my razor. Thankfully Lee at leesrazors is pursuing replacement with Simpson.

Do these kinds of shedding issues ever sort themselves out? Kind of hoping I don't have to start all over with a new brush, as that thing had some badger stank when I first got it.

my last purchase of a simpsons 3 years ago, was my last...the damn thing never quit shedding.....the simpsons I used before that I had for 30 years,and it NEVER shed....I certainly could be wrong,but it looks to me like the vulfix deal brought about some cost cutting measures...

Yes...sometimes they do. I had a Shavemac that was an awful shedder...so much so Bernd sent me another. I kept the faulty one however and after three or four months of occasional use, it stopped shedding.

It depends on so many things....but ultimately, if you were unhappy with your purchase, you were right to contact the vendor

P

Pjotr

...........the vulfix deal brought about some cost cutting measures...

And what cost cutting measures would they be do you think? If you take in to consideration how many brushes they make and how many of them end up with members here it's only to be expected that the odd brush would warrant a thread like this. A firm is characterised not by it's capacity to produce 100% perfect items all the time (and how could they, they're not a mechanised production line set up and even then you'd get errors going out the door) but how they deal with customers that are unfortunate enough to receive a bad one. From what I have personally experienced with Vulfix/Simpson their customer relations, follow up and care is second to none. I realise it's a pain having to send it back and talk to the supplier and play the waiting game for the next brush to turn up but if you want a hand made brush (or anything hand made for that matter) for a decent price, that's the risk you take.

Of all my brushes, I only had one that shed like a dog in the spring... after 2 weeks it had lost at least 200 hairs and I binned it. It was a New Forest 2201

P

Pjotr

Summer is nigh,shedding is normal:)

It's winter here and my dog sheds like there's no tomorrow. He seems to do that all year round though. Just to bring it sort of back on topic, my brushes don't have a seasonal shed pattern. Is that normal? Don't answer that.

I certainly could be wrong,but it looks to me like the vulfix deal brought about some cost cutting measures...

I think you are; it's purely perception, and the fact you got a bad brush. I've got 2 Simpson and after the initial loose ones popped out, they've both been fine. My first Rooney shed, but they haven't changed hands in years. Read enough about dense badgers and no brand is immune.

But add up all the happy Simpson threads, and then the ones about shedding. It's no contest, but I'll bet my next mortgage payment the shed threads run for pages and pages...

Top Bottom