What's new

My Barbershop!

I wanted to post some pics of my barbershop in Defiance, OH. "The Hair Cut Co." 224 Clinton St. If you're ever in Northwest Ohio stop in for a shave and/or haircut!! We have 3 chairs; one is my station (the first pic) one is a shave/shampoo station (pic two) and the other barber's station (not pictured).

That is awesome! What type of shaves do you provide? Straight or shavette?

Too bad Ohio is so far away from me or I would definitely stop in. :001_smile

Straights. I use 3 that I restored and one new one that I bought from the barber supply. I like the 3 oldies way better. The new one is a C-mon Cadillac razor, it's never quite taken the edge that the other have. I use a Torrey, a Maher & Groesh, and an Imperial. They are my work horses. There isn't a huge demand for shaves I probably do between 2 and 4 a day, but we just started doing them in March, and business is picking up. I'd much rather do shaves all day and never cut any hair. If all I do is shaves I'm not covered in hair at then end of the day and that is nice.

I really posted this to show that a barbershop isn't just a retro looking place with a 60yr old ex-military guy giving flatops. I'm 27 and my partner is 34, are shop has an emphasis on sports and vintage barbering. We have a deep love and respect for the "tonsorial arts" as we like to call them. And we are a community gathering place where men meet and talk about what's up in town, as well as issues all over the world, you might even hear an off color joke now and then.

Straights. I use 3 that I restored and one new one that I bought from the barber supply. I like the 3 oldies way better. The new one is a C-mon Cadillac razor, it's never quite taken the edge that the other have. I use a Torrey, a Maher & Groesh, and an Imperial. They are my work horses. There isn't a huge demand for shaves I probably do between 2 and 4 a day, but we just started doing them in March, and business is picking up. I'd much rather do shaves all day and never cut any hair. If all I do is shaves I'm not covered in hair at then end of the day and that is nice.

I really posted this to show that a barbershop isn't just a retro looking place with a 60yr old ex-military guy giving flatops. I'm 27 and my partner is 34, are shop has an emphasis on sports and vintage barbering. We have a deep love and respect for the "tonsorial arts" as we like to call them. And we are a community gathering place where men meet and talk about what's up in town, as well as issues all over the world, you might even hear an off color joke now and then.

Cool looking place.

I thought you weren't allowed to use real straights in Ohio? Thats what my barber said at least. What's the real rule? Set me straight man.

Cool looking place.

I thought you weren't allowed to use real straights in Ohio? Thats what my barber said at least. What's the real rule? Set me straight man.

Straights are definitely allowed. I always use two straights on each customer because "procedure" dictates that after you finish the first half of the face you are required to sanitize the razor in barbicide for 5 minutes, that is when I switch to the other razor. For the clean-up (second pass) I go back to the first razor that has been in sanitizer.

A lot of the older guys seem to say they can't do shaves anymore because of state laws, but I think they stopped doing them when the AIDS epidemic freaked everyone out. None of the other barbers in my surrounding area do any shaving at all, which to me is a waste of a barber's education, we have to learn it, and we our tested on it in our liscensure exam. Some guys say they don't have time to do it...... that doesn't make sense to me. I get paid for shaves, I can do a quality shave and haircut in 35-45 minutes, and It's only $25. That means I could do about 60 a week, if I was busy all day, and everyone got a shave and a haircut. That would be $1500 per week plus tips. I would much rather do shaves and haircuts, rather than have to pump out 150 $10 haircuts a week.

I'm sorry to ramble on but I hate when barbers make up excuses about not being able to shave..... it's the foundation of our profession. The word barber comes from the Latin barba, which means beard!!

to sum up, Straight razors and shaves are legal in the state of OHIO, any barber who tells you he can't do one is lying,and this subject really grinds my gears. Thanks for reading:thumbup:

to sum up, Straight razors and shaves are legal in the state of OHIO, any barber who tells you he can't do one is lying,and this subject really grinds my gears. Thanks for reading:thumbup:
That's great to hear! I can definitely understand why you would find that frustrating. I still haven't got the definitive word on this in Michigan - anybody know?

I'll have to pay you a visit some time - I've never had a professional straight razor shave. While you're not down the street from me, it could definitely be a trip.

Steve:

That's a beautiful shop you have. I wish I lived close to you as I would love to experience a haircut and a straight shave from a real professional. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you and your business and enjoy your shaves.

Don

Straights are definitely allowed. I always use two straights on each customer because "procedure" dictates that after you finish the first half of the face you are required to sanitize the razor in barbicide for 5 minutes, that is when I switch to the other razor. For the clean-up (second pass) I go back to the first razor that has been in sanitizer.

A lot of the older guys seem to say they can't do shaves anymore because of state laws, but I think they stopped doing them when the AIDS epidemic freaked everyone out. None of the other barbers in my surrounding area do any shaving at all, which to me is a waste of a barber's education, we have to learn it, and we our tested on it in our liscensure exam. Some guys say they don't have time to do it...... that doesn't make sense to me. I get paid for shaves, I can do a quality shave and haircut in 35-45 minutes, and It's only $25. That means I could do about 60 a week, if I was busy all day, and everyone got a shave and a haircut. That would be $1500 per week plus tips. I would much rather do shaves and haircuts, rather than have to pump out 150 $10 haircuts a week.

I'm sorry to ramble on but I hate when barbers make up excuses about not being able to shave..... it's the foundation of our profession. The word barber comes from the Latin barba, which means beard!!

Wow! Thanks for the education.

My barber never said he couldn't (he doesnt advertise shaves anyways) but he still uses a shavette to clean up around the ears, neck etc.

He did say he doesn't like to hone and maintain razors. So he is glad that the injector style replaceable blades are available.

What About brushes?

What About brushes?

I use an EJ best at the shop. There is no sanitary issue with brushes. I clean it about every two weeks, and it's always filled with soap anyway. I don't think the barber board worries about it as long as the bristles have been sterilized since coming from the animal.

A hot lather machine would be nice, but I love mixing my own lather. I usually use the VDH soap because it's cheap and doesn't have an over powering scent. I did buy this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...pOePz9c%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT I figure 30 soaps for $15, if i don't like them I can put them in shave kits we want to start selling at the shop. I bought 3 lots of these soaps, so we'll see how they do, might put some up on BST or give some away here.

My best friend is a Barber. and he says he doesnt do shaves anymore, because in the time it takes to do a shave, he could have cut 2 peoples hair, at $15 a piece. Of course he works in an already busy shop, with only 1 other Barber, so its sort of understandable. By his logic he is going to make $45 for 3 haircuts, or $30 for a haircut and a shave. Makes sense to me.

Though he does still do shaves for special occasions, pre-wedding, Graduations, etc...

I'm not much into sports, but I wish I had an old-school barbershop around here to go to.

Thanks for the pics and info!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Whoever had the bright idea that HIV or hepatitis could live in Barbicide, anyway? That stuff can kill any germ. There's no reason to fear a barber's razor unless the hand is shaking or he seems too eager LOL!

Top Bottom