What's new

Santa maria novella crema da barba

My older brother just sent me a tub of this shave cream from college for my 18th birthday. I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow during my birthday shave...any tips or experiences with santa maria novella as I've only used proraso thus far? excited! :thumbup:

You have a very generous brother! I just load mine like a soap and face/bowl lather. The scent is very close to Proraso, but the addition of lanolin makes for a much smoother shave with my cushion and a softer face after. Enjoy it!

Wonderful stuff and the tub will last forever.I like to put a litte water on top of the cream and let it sit while my brush soaks,then pour out the water and load the brush by swirling it directly on top of the cream,then face lather.Make sure you keep adding water,it does take more water than most creams.
Enjoy

Paul

In my top 3 creams. This runs circles around the esteemed Proraso, turns it inside out, chews it up, and spits it back out again.

Might seem expensive to some, but as Henry et al. have mentioned, this tub will last you quite a while and in the end becomes very economical.

Great gift. :thumbup1:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It's an "upgraded" version of Proraso with less menthol and added lanolin. It is also a very classic cream and a solid performer. In other words an excellent product. :thumbup:

In my top 3 creams. This runs circles around the esteemed Proraso, turns it inside out, chews it up, and spits it back out again.

Might seem expensive to some, but as Henry et al. have mentioned, this tub will last you quite a while and in the end becomes very economical.

Great gift. :thumbup1:

Agree on all points...can't wait for it to get a little warmer up here so that I can take SMN out from storage.

I love summer shaving because my rotation consists of ADP, SMN & CF Lime.

Last edited:
I used my Santa Maria Novella (again) this morning. I already have some of the Lavender aftershave on the way and I'm itching to try the Pro Dopo Barba. My shaving product preferences are getting a bit too rich for my blood. :laugh:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I broke my tub out this morning and had such a wonderful shave that I had to find a place to post about it. I've had mine for a few years now and it is still fantastic.

I have been very miserly with my tub of Santa Maria Novella. However, now that I have eight new soaps due to arrive on Monday I've decided I need to quit this behavior and just use it. I'm not sure what the shelf life is after opening either and a quick check of my review reveals that I bought it in 2007.

Your brother is very generous.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I used my Santa Maria Novella (again) this morning. I already have some of the Lavender aftershave on the way and I'm itching to try the Pro Dopo Barba. My shaving product preferences are getting a bit too rich for my blood. :laugh:

I really enjoy the SMN Lavender aftershave splash. If it wasn't so stinking expensive I would use it every day.

I'm on the fence with the Pro Dopo. The scent is very much like talc and like other SMN products it is very expensive. It definitely does soften the beard, but the price is way more per gram than the large tub of shave cream.

i agree with Marco. similar to Proraso/Omega but with more attention to the product's detail (in the container, not the container). you are a lucky brother for sure. enjoy it...

Top Bottom