What's new

Phoenix from the ashes

After my last before-and-after set, I thought it would be nice to have a happy one for a change. I recently bought a lot of four cased razors and the runt of the litter was a really blackened Single Ring. When I got the package and started unwrapping it, I got a strong whiff of wood smoke when I started unwrapping the Single Ring.

Here's what it looked like once I'd gotten it unwrapped:

proxy.php

I wish I'd taken a few more "before" shots -- we all say that; I think it's a subconscious desire not to document our own failures if we're not able to clean the razor up -- but this was more than the usual tarnished black razor. There was a crusty residue on the cap and part of the neck. I don't think it was actually in a fire, but I think it was quite near one and took some heat and smoke damage.

I figured I'd have a go at cleaning it up anyway; even if I ended up chucking it in the bin I'd still be out ahead on the lot. So I put it in for a soak with a batch of other razors. When I got to scrubbing it with a toothbrush most of that residue flaked right off. I also noticed that the soaking water had been turned unusually yellow (the dish soap I use is green).

Four soaks with baking soda and tin foil, and a quick buff up with some Flitz and here's how she turned out:

proxy.php

proxy.php

There's some very slight pebbling visible on the cap and neck where the residue was. You can see it, but I can't feel it running my finger over it. It hasn't broken through the plating, though, so I figured better to just leave it be for now.

On the whole I'm quite pleased. You can even read the serial number now: N 60603.

Last edited:
Excellent MacDaddy! I just love cleaning up old razors like this. It just goes to show how darn durable they were made. If taken care of, they will last for eons!

Thanks guys. I'm torn now on selling it or keeping it. I'm darn near swimming in Single Rings at the moment, and I really bought the lot for a boxed chrome Ever Ready 1912 with instructions that was in it. Ah well, if I do let it go you'll see it up on the BST first.

Really well done...can anything be done for the case?

I suppose so, but it would have to get to the point of a full-on reconstruction. One side of the lid is completely missing aside from needing a full recovering.

I kind of like the shining razor in the beat up case, though. It's an interesting contrast and a reminder of where it started.

Top Bottom