What's new

Inexpensive Dress/ Business Shirts Non Iron

:blink: She told me she was single mate. :laugh:

I told her I was married !!! :001_huh:

I have mostly Jos Banks shirts and they seem to be doing great...I also have Meeting Street, that I bought off the Bay...I think they came from the Men's Whorehouse store, but the two that I have looked wonderful too. I have a couple of BB, maybe it is just me, but I do not see the difference between these two nor the Gold Label brand mentioned below.

One that nobody has mentioned is the Roundtree & Yorke Gold Label...I find these to wear very well also. :thumbup1:

I do not mind it so much, particularly in a more relaxed situation. And certainly there is nothing wrong with that. It is what happens to a good all cotton shirt. But I like not having to take all of my shirts to a laundry. Also, after a really long day my all cotton shirts really can look pretty bad. I understand that some famous guys change their laundered shirts up to several times a day.

I used to feel that way, but I seem to have shifted to thinner shirts. I am not sure why.

I like thin pinpoint oxford material, but haven't found a thin broadcloth shirt that I like to wear with a tie. But I will say a nice broadcloth shirt with spread collar with a suit looks much more "dressy" to me than any oxford cloth shirt with button down collar.

I am another fan of Land's End. I am wearing one as I type this. I have a few currently and will be picking up some mroe shortly. If you sign up for their email chains they send out 25-30% off w/ free shipping promos. I always end up picking something up durring them. As a side note, I am a big fan of their polo shirts too.

I bought a cheap Arrow brand dress shirt from Kohls yesterday for $20. it's a twill 55% cotton, 45% polyester spread collar. I ironed it lastnight and it looks like I accidentally burned some of the fabric, although it's not too noticeable. Guess I got what I paid for :thumbdown

I like thin pinpoint oxford material, but haven't found a thin broadcloth shirt that I like to wear with a tie. But I will say a nice broadcloth shirt with spread collar with a suit looks much more "dressy" to me than any oxford cloth shirt with button down collar.

It is more dressy! Some think one should never wear a button down collar with a suit. I am not among them, but will give in that spread collars and broad cloth are more dressy than button down and/or oxford cloth!

I'm a fan of J.C. Penney. I wear their Stafford Super Shirts in Broadcloth and haven't had a problem yet. They hold up pretty well and the adjusting neck button makes it more comfortable for when the temperature fluctuates or I get hot under the collar. :w00t:

They usually run about $20 and J.C.'s almost always has a sales circular with additional coupons.

I know.....I'm a cheap bastard.

When I had to wear shirt/tie every day, I had a number of the JCP french cuffed poly/cotton blend shirts, loved them, didn't wrinkle, looked great, and cheap.

I try many different brands of dress shirts for daily use but always return to Brooks Brother non-iron slim fit. I think they are a bargain at 3 for $??? I have other shirts that I prefer to wear when I need to bump it up a couple notches!! Love Ledbury shirts!!

I bought a cheap Arrow brand dress shirt from Kohls yesterday for $20. it's a twill 55% cotton, 45% polyester spread collar. I ironed it lastnight and it looks like I accidentally burned some of the fabric, although it's not too noticeable. Guess I got what I paid for :thumbdown

I own the same type, I got it from Zellers super cheap. Arrow does make 100 percent cotton shirts that are much better.

One more vote for JCpenney stafford shirts. I have quite a few of them and have been very happy with them. I have no idea about the higher end ones. the one Lands end shirt I have is favorite, it feels nice and I like the fact that it is blue!

I own the same type, I got it from Zellers super cheap. Arrow does make 100 percent cotton shirts that are much better.

on a bright note, I managed to get the light brown stains out of the shirt that I thought I burned, so it looks good as new. the only reason I bought the Arrow brand was 1) it was on sale for $20 and 2) the smaller spread collar was more to my liking. I looked at some of the other inexpensive brands like Stafford and the like but they either didn't have my size or the spread collar was bigger than I wanted. at this point I refuse to pay more than $25 for any dress shirt because I don't wear a suit enough to justify owning a $75+ shirt and most of them seemed to be made overseas anyways, so i'm actually paying for the brand name, not the quality of the garment.

Forget my endorsement of Eagle shirts.

I wore one today to a conference at which I was speaking. Bad choice. Everything looked good, except both collar points wanted to curl under. This is with good quality collar stays.

I suppose this coud be remedied with some ironing or somethng--maybe. But that is not why I was going with these shirts. Rest of the shirt looked good all day.

Having a collar that does not do well is a deal killer though.

Costco has Dress shirts (Non Iron) for $17.99 just have to check your local store. (Las Vegas has them now) Also check a Van Heusen outlet. We have an outlet mall with a van Heusen store....Shirts are usually 50-70% off and even Donald Trump dress shirts are around $30.

http://www.pvh.com/van_heusen.aspx

are any of you picky about the length of spread collars? I like shorter spread collars because they look more symmetrical to my eye, but i'm probably splitting hairs

Collars matter, and they seem to be getting smaller.

I like shorter spread collars, too. And for that matter, truly full spread collars.

BTW the way, a second of these Eagle shirts has the same collar issues. Really annoying! Too bad. A good looking shirt otherwise.

And a nice fit.

Fit is probably worth dicussing. Regardless of price. I like that old school BB balloon fit in the right context, with the right suit. It is a trad look. But I do not want that all the time. And a supertight shirt is not gong to do it for me, either.

So unless one is goinig to have their shirts custom fit, which may not be that bad an idea, hitting on the shirt maker that has just the right fit is a greaqt find.

There is a place on the net somewhere that replaces worn collars and cuffs, if I recall, which is interesting, and probably means one can get incredible life out of a good shirt. But I thiink they will also recut shirts for fit. With the idea being that if one can get a great deal on a shirt too big--quite a bit too big--this place can tailor it back to something that fits wonderfully, and is of great quality. I always wondered how that would work out.

Humbly,

Sir Mix A Lot

Last edited:
For those recommending the JC Penney Stafford oxford shirts, and also the Lands End, how is the fit? I'm looking for a "slimmer" fit, but not a slim fit. I'm not a skinny guy by any means, but even on me, the Brooks Bros regular fit shirts are like balloons.

Btw - I prefer button down collars for business casual, and point collar to wear with suits. Never took a liking to spread collars. I also prefer 100% cotton, don't care for the sheen on the poly blends.

For those recommending the JC Penney Stafford oxford shirts, and also the Lands End, how is the fit? I'm looking for a "slimmer" fit, but not a slim fit. I'm not a skinny guy by any means, but even on me, the Brooks Bros regular fit shirts are like balloons.

Btw - I prefer button down collars for business casual, and point collar to wear with suits. Never took a liking to spread collars. I also prefer 100% cotton, don't care for the sheen on the poly blends.

Men's cuts have changed. Today's "regular" is yesteryear's "portly", as Americans get fatter and fatter....

JCP's "athletic fit" is just a bit fuller than slim fit, and sounds like just what you're looking for. The problem will be finding them on the shelf; I get mine at the jcp website. They are always running a sale on these, and sometimes the shipping is free if you ship to your local store for pickup.

Last edited:

I love these shirts. I too prefer button down for business casual, so I wear these to work just about every day. Just picked some more up on sale for $14 each. If you have trouble finding size or color, buy on jcp.com. If you search around, you can find additional discount codes and get free shipping.

I agree with most of the comments above about the pitfalls of cheaper shirts being poorer quality.

I have tried the Arrow 100% cotton non-iron that I have paid about $35 for on sale. They are decent shirts, but I noticed that they (i) don't hold the non-iron properties as long as some of the better brands, (ii) they are a bit bulky in the body (and I'm no beanpole!) and (iii) the cuffs and collars fray/bubble more quickly than better shirts. Also, the colours/patterns are quite limited.

I've tried Hillfliger, Klein and other designer brands - generally all very mediocre.

By far, my favourite is the BB no-iron slim fit shirts - while they're expensive at full price, I always wait for a sale (which happens all the time) - I just got a few at about $60 per shirt, which I think is a good price. The reason I like the BB shirts is that (i) the non-iron properties are excellent, (ii) the quality is very good and (iii) they have loads of options in terms of colours and collar styles.

One thing I notice is that I need to pre-treat the collars of my no-iron shirts more regularly than those of my regular shirts - anyone else notice the same thing?

TheShaun

Bejeweled
TM Lewin as one of their 4 shirt deals. I just picked up 4 and will average about $35 each. 90 GBP. Make sure you order in GBP to get the VAT discount.

Top Bottom