Thread: It's been said before but I'm saying it again!

Default It's been said before but I'm saying it again!

I was the recipient of a fellow members generosity and received a couple very nice GEMs in the mail today. As far as I know one is a 1912 and the other a Micromatic. I had to try this "SE" that is bragged about so I drove down to Walgreens and picked up a pack of SE blades. I decided to load up the Micromatic as it looked a little less intimidating! Loaded my Ever-Ready with MWF and commenced. First thing I noticed was the sound. Second thing I noticed was that it was every bit as if not more smooth than any DE shave I have had thus far. No learning curve whatsoever as the feel and sound will get you in the slot immediately. No nicks, weepers or irritation.

I'm not ready to throw my Fatboy, SS & DE89 in the FS section yet but I can tell I am going to like the SE shave.

How many quality shaves can I expect out of one of these super stainless blades?

Thanks Marine Dad for the opportunity ;^)
    USMC RETIRED
    TOFLAC-U Because bowls are for porridge
    BOTOC who needs training wheels!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by retiredguns View Post
    I was the recipient of a fellow members generosity and received a couple very nice GEMs in the mail today. As far as I know one is a 1912 and the other a Micromatic. I had to try this "SE" that is bragged about so I drove down to Walgreens and picked up a pack of SE blades. I decided to load up the Micromatic as it looked a little less intimidating! Loaded my Ever-Ready with MWF and commenced. First thing I noticed was the sound. Second thing I noticed was that it was every bit as if not more smooth than any DE shave I have had thus far. No learning curve whatsoever as the feel and sound will get you in the slot immediately. No nicks, weepers or irritation.

I'm not ready to throw my Fatboy, SS & DE89 in the FS section yet but I can tell I am going to like the SE shave.

How many quality shaves can I expect out of one of these super stainless blades?

Thanks Marine Dad for the opportunity ;^)
    I have gotten 6 from my first blade so far. All is still good. I have only touched my DE's once since getting my ER1912- it is an excellent shave.

Good stuff.. The GEMs are solid razors..

Images

Muahahahaha gotcha now
    Proud father of a US Marine
    The stash
    [img]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=25520[/img]

[img]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=25521[/img]

i swear i could get 10 shaves outta my gem ss blades in my ocmm.......
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer.
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

Your experience is exactly why I try to suggest a SE when a noob asks what to buy for a razor. For some reason the majority autothink "DE".

Let's see:

Great shave
    Virtually no learning curve

What's not to like about that?
    It's not the bow(s), it's the Indian!

Images

You don't have to give up your DE's, but you may find yourself reaching for the SE's more often. I love my 1912 and can't wait to try some other SE's. I use the Walgreen SS GEM blades, and while I have squeezed out 6 shaves from a single blade, 4 seems to be my sweet spot.
    Larry- In a 12 step program for RAD

I'm hoping to squeeze out at least 6 shaves as I can get 5 out of a Personna Red and they are only $2 for a pack vice $6 for the SE blades.
    USMC RETIRED

With a little care, you can hit 6 easily. Just had shave 7 with a GEM PTFE in a Feather Weight this morning. These are identical to the Walgreen's blades according to many here.

• Remove and pat the blade dry after use to reduce the opportunity for corrosion
    • Try Hand Stropping the blade before putting it back in.

I don't overly fuss with it, and after a couple times it becomes just part of the routine - but I think these 2 steps help keep the edge clean and the shave comfortable.

The 1912 is surprisingly easy to use despite it's looks.
    Q: If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?

A: Four: a tail is not a leg no matter what you call it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    Your experience is exactly why I try to suggest a SE when a noob asks what to buy for a razor. For some reason the majority autothink "DE".

Let's see:

Great shave
    Virtually no learning curve

What's not to like about that?
    Right on the money.
    Being still pretty new to this type of shave, I can honestly say that SE razors are much easier to use; which also makes for a faster shave.

I've used the Jr and FW so far, still need to try the OCMM, G-Bar, Contour and a 1924? Ever Ready (tiny thing). My hair doesn't grow fast enough to keep up with my AD. LOL
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDemonic View Post
    .. My hair doesn't grow fast enough to keep up with my AD. LOL
    You might be considered cursed in this arena, but I could shave 2 times a day and am not sure if I consider that lucky!
    USMC RETIRED