What's new

The SOC has landed!

The SOC I picked up from the BST forum arrived today. It's in brand new condition and unused.

This is my first Semogue and looks like I got the ash handle. I'm looking forward to giving this a spin in the morning. My first boar was an Omega with banded bristles. I must say I am now more partial to the un-dyed white bristles. Oddly this brush has two black hairs in the knot.

I like the handle. It's a nice size and has a good heft and it's nicely turned. So far the brush is everything I hoped it would be. This brush promises to be a nice face latherer. I'm going to enjoy breaking it in.

The question now is; will this brush's debut lathering be Tabac or Cella?

Last edited:
Nice brush!

My Semogue has a black hair in the knot as well. I read in some other thread that a few others had one or two in theirs as well, so I guess it's pretty common.

that's a beauty. i love my 830 and after seeing yours............wish i hadn't looked. really like the photo

That occasional black hair is a tribute to us old grey hairs that occasionally find a dark hair. It is there to remind us of our glorious (hair) past.:tongue_sm:tongue_sm:tongue_sm

Even that old pig had hair problems. Most boars have a black hair or two.

Cella!
Been using mine for about a week now and it's just great. Beware though, after using it, when it's about halfway dried out, its knot will look just like Lisa Simpson! The effect does not last...

Jeff

My SOC also has a single black bristle, but I think that adds a little bit of charm to the brush. It reminds me of the Navajo rug-weaving tradition of intentionally inserting a flaw into the pattern of an otherwise-perfect rug. The Navajo believe that this flaw allows the spirit of the rug to have the freedom to roam rather than being trapped forever in the pattern.

So maybe the spirit of that pig is still roaming around my bathroom every time I shave with my SOC? Is that what I'm smelling? :lol:

I lathered it with Tabac figuring the stronger scent of Tabac might over power the initial funk of wet boar hair. Oh, I was so wrong. :shocked: I couldn't smell the Tabac at all, just wet boar funk. Hopefully that will be gone in a day or two.

On the other hand compared to my Omega which has a larger knot and longer loft, the SOC had great back bone and for a new brush the tips were pretty soft, scrubby without being scritchy. I'm hoping that they will soften just a little more as it breaks in. I had to return to the puck on pass three as the brush isn't holding a lot of lather yet.

Over all I'm excited about this brush. It's a winner for me. I'm going to enjoy breaking this in as soon as the funk is gone. :thumbup:

I'm waiting on my SOC and a 610. They are on their way here, but I don't know how long they'll be.

They'll join their family, along with my 830, 1460, and 1305. And, their badger cousins of course.

Top Bottom