What's new

Boar/badger bristle toothbrushes

Anyone have a wild boar or badger hair toothbrush, I ordered one last night, it is Italian made. Just curious about the performance and longevity. I also saw TOBS makes bone handled toothbrushes as well, didn't see what the bristle were made of though.

I'd be interested in replies to this as well. I'm tired of only having the choice of toothbrushes that look like they were designed by and for children.

Where did you get your brush from?

- Doug

Yes, I have been using boar hair tooth brushes for a couple of years now. I bought a Rooney Bone handled brush but did not like it. The bone handle was cool and looked so retro but the bristles were too stiff, so I went back to my soft Swissco brushes. I really prefer the soft the best. The bristles are more pliable and move in and around the teeth better.

These are organic brushes and you have to worry about bacteria growth. I use a ultraviolet light toothbrush sanitizer. Or sometimes I will pour a little mouth wash over the bristles.

All in all, they make brushing your teeth more pleasant but I can't say they really do a better cleaning job. As far as longevity, I had a dentist tell me that no matter what kind of brush you use, you should change it out every three months. Good luck with your new brush.:biggrin1:

Last edited:
I use a boar bristle brush - Swisco or Acca Kapa on occasion.

The first couple of times they do have a bit of an unpleasant taste that quickly rinses out.

I think they're a little kinder to the gums than nylon brushes, but don't think they do a better job than a nylon brush.

I am currently using the natural bristle, bone handled toothbrush from D.R. Harris. It has less fraying (almost none!) than other natural bristle brushes. I use a natural bristle brush mainly for its vastly superior cleaning performance. I used to have a real plaque problem, despite using Sonicare brushes two or three times per day, flossing daily, and having tooth cleanings every three months. I bought a natural bristle brush from classic shaving out of curiosity, then started using it when the batteries on my Sonicare ran out. I went to my dentist for a cleaning and was surprised to get my best check up ever, even though I had been doing just quickie brushings. I have continued using natural bristle brushes exclusively for the two years since with consistently excellent results. My dentist was so impressed with their superior performance that she has switched to them herself. I think the difference is that the sides of natural bristles have micro ridges along their entire lengths, while nylon bristles are almost perfectly smooth along their sides, so the natural bristles are inherently superior at scrubbing.

I've got a Dr Harris bristle toothbrush too. It doesn't look retro...it looks straight from Fagan's lair! It has a different feeling in-use, which I prefer and it does seem to get to places nylon brushes don't. At the moment though, I'm using a nylon toothbrush and using my bristle toothbrush to clean my watches, razors and jewellery. Even if you don't like the feel of the Dr Harris to clean your teeth, its a very gentle yet effective brush for misc. ancillary tasks. I suggest everyone gets one to avoid distressing their valuable items.
:thumbup1:

I too have also been using natural bone & bristle tooth brushes for a couple of years now. I really don't recall the makers, I think I bought them from the usual places though (amazon/eBay) but did recall one was from TOBS and to be honest the TOBS was not very durable. I like these natural brushes, after using them now for a few years I do believe they do a good job of looking after my teeth. They are a nice traditional alternative to all these modern gadgets.

If you have'nt tried one, I would personally recommend giving one a go.

Top Bottom