What's new

Wilkinson Sword shave stick

I had been planning to acquire one for a while but a chemist near to where I work had one so I bought it yesterday. At £1.99, I paid a bit more than I have seen others pay but curiosity always has its price.

It's a very good stick - almost as good as Palmolive and Arko. I prefer its smell, however, and the blue colour looks good next to the pale green colour of Palmolive :thumbup1:

I have it and have only used it a couple of times. My verdict is still out, but haven't thought much of it so far. Smell not terrible, but artificial and haven't gotten good slickness or cushion yet. We'll see...

I had been planning to acquire one for a while but a chemist near to where I work had one so I bought it yesterday. At £1.99, I paid a bit more than I have seen others pay but curiosity always has its price.

It's a very good stick - almost as good as Palmolive and Arko. I prefer its smell, however, and the blue colour looks good next to the pale green colour of Palmolive :thumbup1:
Which chemist is stocking it mate?

Cheers

IMHO it is the equal of Palmolive for performance and I quite like the scent too. I have one in my travel kit and if I am only away for a night or two, it comes along for the ride. Tried to pick up a couple more recently in München but didn't see them on the shelves at all.

I have it and have only used it a couple of times. My verdict is still out, but haven't thought much of it so far. Smell not terrible, but artificial and haven't gotten good slickness or cushion yet. We'll see...

I agree, I use shave sticks when traveling. Wilkinson produces a great lather but I found it not cushioning enough

Gentlemen... I love the Wilkonson stick too. Compared directly to the Palmolive stick it outperforms the later in almost every aspect. Okay,... the scent may be a little artificial, but absolutely not unpleasant. Did you know that the Wilkinson stick contains Lanolin? (Lanolin is Wool Fat ).

I know the Palmolive stick has a lot of fans here and also in the German boards, but almost everyone who knew the Palmo and has tried the Wilkinson confirms, that the Wilkinson is the better one. Better cushion, fat and creamy, slick lather and the razor glides super easy. Even after the shave the skin feels sooo smooth and moistured, very well soothed.

The Wilkinson stick gets a clear recommandation! If you can get it - catch it! You will not regret!

Gentlemen... I love the Wilkonson stick too. Compared directly to the Palmolive stick it outperforms the later in almost every aspect. Okay,... the scent may be a little artificial, but absolutely not unpleasant. Did you know that the Wilkinson stick contains Lanolin? (Lanolin is Wool Fat ).

I know the Palmolive stick has a lot of fans here and also in the German boards, but almost everyone who knew the Palmo and has tried the Wilkinson confirms, that the Wilkinson is the better one. Better cushion, fat and creamy, slick lather and the razor glides super easy. Even after the shave the skin feels sooo smooth and moistured, very well soothed.

The Wilkinson stick gets a clear recommandation! If you can get it - catch it! You will not regret!

The lanolin is one of the things that interested me. Since I've only used it once, it might be a bit premature to compare it to other soaps as it can take a few shaves to know how to get the best out of a soap. I found that the cushioning was as good as anything else but it tended to dry a bit more quickly than I'm used to. When I use it to-morrow, I'll try mixing in a bit more water.

The lanolin is one of the things that interested me. Since I've only used it once, it might be a bit premature to compare it to other soaps as it can take a few shaves to know how to get the best out of a soap. I found that the cushioning was as good as anything else but it tended to dry a bit more quickly than I'm used to. When I use it to-morrow, I'll try mixing in a bit more water.

That's for sure a wise decision!

Give yourself the time to find out how it works best - it's worth the wait and the effort of discovering that. Once you find the magic point you will never regret it :001_smile:whistling:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's a great stick! My understanding was that Wilkinson Sword blue bowl doesn't have tallow where the stick does. Buy the stick!!

It's a great stick! My understanding was that Wilkinson Sword blue bowl doesn't have tallow where the stick does. Buy the stick!!

I have the bowl and can confirm that it doesn't have tallow. I have never been able to get a good lather with the bowl, which could be due to my technique as I have always face-lathered. By comparison, there are soaps that don't have tallow that give me excellent lather but, for some reason, I can only get a very thin, slippery lather with the blue bowl.

That's the same with me, Wulfgar!

The Wilkinson in the bowl was my first soap that I had when I discovered traditional wet shaving. It was the only shaving soap available easily in the supermarkets and you know, when you're new to something you don't have the sources one have after a few years of intensive investigations :lol:

To put it short... It worked!

Compared to the Gillette goo I used before it was great - but...

As I discovered how many products were superior to the Wilkinson soap in the bowl I made her a handwashing soap and even there the performance was lousy.

The Wilkinsons stick is a wonderful shaving soap and except the brand name it has nothing in common with the shaving soap in the bowl.

I have the bowl and can confirm that it doesn't have tallow. I have never been able to get a good lather with the bowl, which could be due to my technique as I have always face-lathered. By comparison, there are soaps that don't have tallow that give me excellent lather but, for some reason, I can only get a very thin, slippery lather with the blue bowl.

Took me a couple of weeks to break in the blue bowl, and I persevered because I had nothing else, but I find that if I let it soak in warm water while I shower I get excellent lather. Lack of moisturising is my only complaint now! Haven't tried the stick to compare it though!

Hello :001_smile.
As "rubberduck" said the stick is a awesome soap :thumbup1: that´s very good for the skin and naturally the shave.
But unfortunately, not easy to find in stores here in Germany :blushing:.

Greetings

Andreas

Just tried a Wilkinson Sword shave stick for the first time.

Very impressed with the way it works, lots of dense, slick, lather. Got a great shave with ease.

A couple of things keeping it from being great:

1. The scent is sure uninspiring. MWF is my favorite scent. In contrast, the Wilkinson Sword scent just seems low class. At least it is not very strong.

2. I don't know if the packaging will last as long as the soap. It is simply wrapped in foil with a plastic ring/handle at the bottom. I think I would be happy to pay more if it was in something like a deodorant stick that could be pushed up from the bottom. I never used any kind of shave stick before so perhaps something like that is already available.

But, the soap is pretty darn effective!

... I think I would be happy to pay more if it was in something like a deodorant stick that could be pushed up from the bottom. I never used any kind of shave stick before so perhaps something like that is already available.

But, the soap is pretty darn effective!

Tabac & Irish Moos are both in Push-up containers.

Top Bottom