What's new

Hi, new to the world of traditional wet shaving

Hi there

Well I've moved over to the good side of shaving! After years of using cartridge based shavers (and getting a nice load of razor burn/ingrowing hairs) I investigated traditional wet shaving with a DE single blade - just like I remember my dad using when I was growing up!

I've got quite sensitive skin so have been using Nivea's sensitive range of shaving gel and after-shave balm which has helped quite a lot.

From reading about DE single blade shaving, watching quite a few youtube tutorials, lurking on here and the The Shaving Room forum (as I'm in the UK) I took the plunge and bought a cheapo Wilkinson Sword starter shaver that came with 5 blades, also bought a styptic pencil (which came in useful a few times!).

It's very interesting, almost an art, shaving like this - instead of "tugging" away shaving against the grain like I used to with a cartridge razor (and getting those ingrowing hairs on my neck), quite a pleasure to learn how to shave in "panels", to get a really smooth close shave from doing 2-3 passes.

Along the way I got quite a few nicks and learnt how to constantly have a correct angle and the important of lubrication on the face! :001_rolle

... so I've taken the proper plunge and ordered a shaving starter kit from the traditional shaving company, consisting of:

- Edwin jagger shaving brush
- Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving soap in a bowl
- Razor sample pack (35 blades from different manufacturers)
- Merkur 34C HD Chrome razor

I'll still use the Nivea sensitive after-shave balm as I've still got a load of it from christmas pressies

Thanks!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You're off to a good start! Now take a look at all the nice vintage Gillettes out there! You will be trying one before the week is out, I bet.

Welcome to B&B! Happy shaves!

Thanks for the welcome guys :thumbup1:

there's something 'classy' and timeless about using a proper razor, brush and lather (and dare I say "manly"?)

I was showing my other half around the men's shaving section in the supermarket the other day, she was shocked when I pointed out how expensive these stupid 4-5 blade cartridges are (they're more like paddles!), I mean about £15 for some gillette fusion cartridges is taking the p*ss. Plus they aren't very environmental friendly unlike DE blades which can be recycled.

Just realised that I'd not updated this thread since taking delivery of my new shaving gear - I've updated the shaving room forum in the UK though, so this is a cut and paste....

Friday 6th May....

Took delivery of shaver starter kit from traditional shaving company this week, Merkur 34C HD razor, selection of blades, EJ badger brush, Taylor's of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving soap in wooden bowl ...

WOW.

Best. Shave. Ever.

Had a shower, left the top off the wooden bowl of soap, dribbled a few drops of water on it.

Left the brush to soak for a couple of mins in warm water... worked up the soap lather.

First time I've jused a brush, don't think I got as much lather on it from the soap puck as I should have, but made sure I gave a good swirl in a lathering bowl (well, a large cappacino cup!) and worked the lather up. Felt lovely putting it on and made sure I gave a good swirl and paint on my face.

Used the Merkur with an Astra blade, just let the blade rest against my face and used the weight of the razor to shave downwards. Followed the grain and shaved in straight "panels" like all the good youtube vids show :cool:

Re-lathered my face then shaved across the grain, tidied up with a 3rd pass.

Washed face with cool water, splashed some cold water on to close up the pores, patted face dry. Applied Nivea sensitive aftershave balm.

Only 1 slight nick on the neck, used styptic pencil.

Result: Lovely smooth shave all round, only a few spots missed on the moustache area, neck area lovely and smooth.

The other half loves the smell of the sandalwood shaving soap and approved of the smoothness. I've been stroking my face all day haha :laugh:

I am a very happy convert to traditional wet shaving with brush and lather!!!!

Top Bottom