What's new

I can't feel my face!

I read some threads about homemade soaps using VDH as the base. I have been experimenting with homemade preshave oils, so I thought I would give it a try. I already had some menthol oil, but decided I needed to go to the "next level": crystals. (Ha! - "crystal menth"! ... that's probably been done before, but it just came to me)

I wanted to make a small sample first to experiment with menthol and eucalyptus levels. So, I melted 10 grams of VDH Glycerin and 10 grams of VDH Deluxe. (I saw a thread that said that would give the 'best of both worlds'.) I started with 1/4 teaspoon of menthol crystals. (I tried to weigh them, but they don't register even 1 gram at that amount) Then the "manly mantra" came to mind: "If a little is good..." So, I put another 1/4 teaspoon in. Then I added 20drops of Eucalyptus oil. I let it sit over night. I sniffed it often. It smelled like a Halls cough drop.

I couldn't wait till this morning to give it a try. The first thing I have to say, this VDH blend is a GREAT soap. I loaded my brush like I have been with some other soaps and had WAY too much soap. This makes tons of lather and it made for the smoothest shave I've had in a long time. I can tell that at this point - now that I can feel my face!

I put some of the lather on just to test its consistency. It felt like I had held an ice cube against my face. I went ahead and did a pass. I've not tried any other menthol product than Proraso. On a scale of 1 to 10, if this is a 10, Proraso would be a 2 or 3, and I might be being generous. (I love Proraso, but its "freeze" factor isn't close) I actually got a little nervous. I have to go out and make some sales calls today and worried that this stuff was "burning" my face it was so cold. I wiped it off after the 1st pass. I couldn't see any redness... So I went in again! Same experience and same concern. So I wiped off my face again. Still no lasting effects, so what the heck. I applied lather for a 3rd pass. By this point it seemed things were safe, so I went for some touchups. I did my usual post shave, which includes cold water before Witch Hazel. My face was still very "icy." It was great!

Initially, I had thought about diluting the mix, but I don't know now. I'm not sure I could go backwards. This was the ultimate menthol experience! ... I also know I'm going to get some other EO's and make more VDH blends. That way I can determine how much scent/sensation I want.

I may be feeling this all day long!

Cool! I love menthol, I should try this. Where do you get hold of the menthol crystals? Is it a must to melt the soap? If yes it needs to be a glycerine soap, correct?

That was a ton of crystals my friend, more than I could tolerate. Osage Rub is as cold as I can stand, anything more has a burning sensation you described.

What a great read, I almost feel like trying this but don't think I can handle that much 'fresh'.

Were you using cold water too? :thumbup: That would be taking it up a notch:w00t:

I got the crystals off Amazon. It was $20 or so for 8 ounces (i think 8). It will last me a long time. I'd sell you some if you wanted. PM if interested. ... If you didn't melt the soap, you would need to 'liquify' the crystals. I know that can be done in Essential Oil, b/c I added some to the Menthol EO I had. I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise. ... I'm not sure which soaps cannot be melted. The one puck of VDH I have is glycerin. The other is their "Deluxe." I don't know what it is made of, but had read that someone had melted it before. It worked fine for me. And, like I said above, it makes a GREAT soap. Way cheaper than other brands, and to me just as good as soaps like TOBS and DR Harris. The initial EO's and crystals cost a lot, but they could cover A LOT of VDH soap (and those are $1.50/puck).

Cool! I love menthol, I should try this. Where do you get hold of the menthol crystals? Is it a must to melt the soap? If yes it needs to be a glycerine soap, correct?

That was a ton of crystals my friend, more than I could tolerate. Osage Rub is as cold as I can stand, anything more has a burning sensation you described.

It was somewhat a burning sensation. It wasn't inherently bad, but had me worried at first if it was 'freezing' my face in a negative way. Now that I know it doesn't, I can totally enjoy it carefree!

What a great read, I almost feel like trying this but don't think I can handle that much 'fresh'.

Were you using cold water too? :thumbup: That would be taking it up a notch:w00t:

When I rinsed w. cold water at the end (before the WH), it definitely added to the sensation.

Top Bottom