What's new

Phoenix Arms HP.22

This looks like a nice lil better than nothing pistol.
I was offered one in trade...everything legal of course.

Anyone own one of these that can provide feedback. please respond.
Sorry no pic available right now.

Phoenix, Bryco, Jennings...

All generally very inexpensive pistols made from recycled Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Unfortunately you get what you pay a/o trade for. If you just want it to have a pistol and don't plan on shooting it very often you'll be happy. Otherwise save $150-200 and buy a used Ruger Mk3, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, etc.

Jay

Phoenix, Bryco, Jennings...

Jay

Of the three brands mentioned, the Phoenix is the better made. But like Jay stated, spend a little more and get a much nicer pistol. Standard Ruger models should be available used for around $150 but they are considerably larger than the Phoenix.

I had a friend that own one. He had it for less then a month and it broke. He returned it to the gun shop and they sent the pistol back to the manufacturer for repair for him, and needless to say he no longer owns the gun and the shop no longer carry the Phoenix Arms line.

Cheap and disposable. They should be priced at <$50. (they aren't but should be)
If you need a handgun in that caliber then I would recommend a Buckmark, Ruger or possibly a Walther.

What was the trade? His Saturday Night Special for??

This Phoenix is an interesting little pistol. The design is really very good-it is accurate and reliable and has many nice features. BUT, to keep price down they are mostly pot metal, in other words, crap. Thus, they have a pretty short functional life-not a good thing to rely on for any serious purpose. It is really a shame given its good points.

Something to think about, if you do get a .22 pistol and want to keep it and shoot it for a long time, seek out regular velocity ammo. It's tempting to pick up one of those bricks of bargain "Ultra-Hyper-velocity" .22LR ammo but they can take their toll on pistols.

I had no idea until my buckmark chewed up it's little rubber "recoil pad" while shooting some of the hotter rounds. It was only a < $1 part but now I pay a little more for what I feed my .22 pistols. Save the hot stuff for the rifles.

It doesn't help when the local stores only carry High Velocity but if thats the case I like to make a request for standard velocity and let them know the high speed stuff doesnt appeal to everyone.

Top Bottom