What's new

what's the difference 2 Band & 3 band brushes

What are the differences between 2 Band and 3 band brushes in the same grade such as super for example? Is one softer than the other? I just received my order of a Simpson Chubby 3 2 band super badger brush. My first badger.:thumbup:

As I understand it, 2-band hairs tend to have more backbone and are usually considered more of a face lathering brush. Of course, loft and knot density are still going to affect backbone. There seems to be quite a wide variety in softness of the tips of 2-band hairs, so that probably depends more on the individual brush/maker...? How'd I do, guys? :laugh:

Last edited:
What are the differences between 2 Band and 3 band brushes in the same grade such as super for example? Is one softer than the other? I just received my order of a Simpson Chubby 3 2 band super badger brush. My first badger.:thumbup:

Great choice as your first badger!:thumbup1:

marty

I 'll give my new chubby3 a go tomorrow for the first time it has very little if any oder but should I still give a soak in dish water as many do?

I would agree, typically they have more backbone. Sometimes that allows a brush to be less dense (not always a bad thing:thumbup:) giving it better flow through. In the case of Simpsons, I find there's a touch of scritch, which I enjoy.

In the case of these two:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The stiffer hair and lower loft let the two band be a scrubby lather monster as opposed to the massive soft cloud of the three band. I didn't care for the three band at all but the two band is terrific.:thumbup:

Across the ranges, I generally prefer two bands, including M&F blonde badger and Rooney Finest, but I haven't tried them all:lol:

Ken

This is my first badger and have only tried boar before this. The 2 band Super Chubby 3 is very nice.

Top Bottom