What's new

Horrible eBay Seller --

Well, here's an update: I contacted the seller and politely explained the situation, telling him that I'd pics to show if he so desired to send me his email (he didn't), and was very open about what happened (but not angry). He wrote this back to me:

"im very sorry for the problem if you give me an address agian and a price ill send you the mone"

Wait! He didn't know the price?? Ok, fine. So I (again politely) emailed him back that it was $XX, that being $XX for merch + $12 for shipping ($8 of which was actually postage and the remaining $4 presumably for "handling/packing," though I didn't write this latter part).

That was yesterday afternoon/early eve; haven't heard anything back yet. But I'll give him time.

Thats a lot of BS, ebay has great records as does Paypal, I was giving the seller the benefit of the doubt until now, he is stalling
ken

Final Update: Seller refunded all money today.

Question - Should I leave feedback, and, if so, what? Neutral and add something about the shipping, etc., positive for honoring a bad deal? Negative and mention the problematic shipping/damaged goods? Or none? Really hate to crucify the guy for this, but it was a pretty serious oversight/error. And I'm still bummed about the OS mugs...

So I ask who I would trust in these matters: the members of B&B. Since we all have a stake in this affair, in some way or another, what do you all think would be fair - for both seller AND potential buyers?

As I see it, the two camps are

1. What counts is how the seller handles a problem, not the problem itself.
    As long as he made it right within a reasonable time frame, you shouldn't ding him on feedback.

2. Some errors warrant negative or neutral feedback no matter how the seller handles the situation.

There are good reasons to hold either view, but ultimately it's up to your gut.

This is what I would do.

Neutral: "Glass items arrived broken due to poor packaging, but seller was responsive to concerns."

Question - Should I leave feedback, and, if so, what? Neutral and add something about the shipping, etc., positive for honoring a bad deal? Negative and mention the problematic shipping/damaged goods? Or none? Really hate to crucify the guy for this, but it was a pretty serious oversight/error. And I'm still bummed about the OS mugs...

So I ask who I would trust in these matters: the members of B&B. Since we all have a stake in this affair, in some way or another, what do you all think would be fair - for both seller AND potential buyers?

I would would do as you have suggested and leave neutral feedback that warns potential future buyers that the seller does not take appropriate measures for the packaging of fragile items.

I think it ended in a positive manner, so I would leave positive feedback with the comment mentioning the poor packaging issue. But I can see leaving a neutral as well, but the seller made his mistake and corrected it and he is the one that has paid for it. I don't believe in piling on.

-jim

I can see leaving neutral feedback, if any. Just state the seller handled it properly with the refund. Don't be surprised if the seller asks to completely eliminate the sale (like it never happened). I have had the latter happen to me a couple times and I was cool with it. It's all up to you.

I would give him positive feedback if I was in that situation. He didn't make you do anything unreasonable and you got your money back. In the comment you could add something about the item arriving broken but the seller resolving everything. There's really no grounds to give him negative feedback.

You had a neutral experience. You (essentially) paid no money and received no product.
Leave feedback as "Neutral" and say that the purchased item broke en route and you received a refund.

QED

The worst eBay sellers are the ones that wait for you to give them feedback before giving you any. I pay as soon as an auction is over. I did all I was required to do as a buyer, so give me the positive feedback on being prompt with my payment. And you know if you neg them or give them neutral feedback they will neg you out of spite. A**H**ES!
Whenever I sold stuff on eBay, I'd wait to leave feedback for the buyer when they either left feedback or let me know they'd received the item and were happy with it. I expected the same from sellers when I was buying.

This is because there is one more thing required of buyers: Don't be a complete tool. If you've ever sold on eBay or worked in retail, you know the guys I'm talking about. They try to haggle with you after the sale, or they'll pull some crap like complain what you sold them was broken, and when they return it, they send you back a different item. That kind of monkey business. Those guys deserve negative feedback, and you can't give it to them if you leave them a positive as soon as they pay.

I think it ended in a positive manner, so I would leave positive feedback with the comment mentioning the poor packaging issue. But I can see leaving a neutral as well, but the seller made his mistake and corrected it and he is the one that has paid for it. I don't believe in piling on.

-jim

I agree on the Positive feedback. Send him an eBay msg admonishing him on packing practices, but let him know that you left a positive feedback because of his responsiveness.

Call it a draw, and move on.

-- John Gehman

I agree on the Positive feedback. Send him an eBay msg admonishing him on packing practices, but let him know that you left a positive feedback because of his responsiveness.

Call it a draw, and move on.

-- John Gehman

The seller handled an unfortunate situation positively. I can understand someone believing bubble wrap woud be good enough.

Call it a draw and move on he lost money you did not. Sometimes things get broken in the mail sometimes you hire people that package your goods wrong. If the seller makes it right give him the benefit of the doubt we all make mistakes. He did better then most retail stores who would look at you and laugh. Go have a nice shave and remember you are better then those angry cart shavers. Lol

Top Bottom