What's new

How to Fix Razor Rash?

Well I have had razor burn but now I am contending with razor rash....it has lasted over several days and is still hanging in there with a reduced shave frequency.......first time I got it after starting double edge shaving.

DE shaving for over 5 months.....rash free....:blush:

Take a few days off use some Neosporine and let it heal up.

More good advice.

I change my routine all the time. I switch between different blades and razors all the time with no trouble. I switch aftershaves and balms. No worries. I use alum block and witch hazel religiously.

The only thing different that I have been doing is the 4 pass shave with the V and I know that I messed up because I missed north to south and went straight to the V.

I was hoping someone had a fantastic miracle that would fix it sooner.

Got some good ideas from here.

I used to, but I guess my pre shave got better and it stopped? Or I've been using witch hazel laced with peppermint after every wash/shave?

Not sure, something I did changed.

Your routine of alum + WH is pretty good, maybe a sensitive balm or moisturiser after that?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Stop shaving for a day if possible. If not possible, a single light WTG pass for a couple of days, and go back to a combination of blade, prep, technique, etc that worked for you before. Hydrocortisone is your friend. Apply it and then apply an aftershave balm like Nivea. Use the hydrocortisone a couple times a day until the irritation clears up. You will be right as rain in a couple of days.

Well here is the ackvil method for dealing with razor burn. I have a heavy wiry beard but very sensitive skin.

Keep in mind that your first line of defense is the usual mantra of proper prep, blade angle, and no pressure.

I take any remaining uberlather cream (soap + cream + a few drops of glycerin) from my shaving mug and gently massage it onto my face and neck. The lather which contains glycerin is very soothing. I then rinse my face with warm water to take off the cream. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Then I apply a splash of Thayers Rose Petal or Lavender WH. Both are alcohol free and do not sting when going on but provide soothing relief to my skin. I then use a skin moisturizer or ASB to provide relief. There are a number of good products out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. Another good one that is not meant only for shaving but does an excellent job is CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion. Also, at night I put on a moisturizer – usually CeraVe – and that hastens the healing process and prepares me for the next day's shave. If my face is really raw I use a moisturizer I borrow from my wife. My wife’s moisturizer always provides me with relief. It contains something called hyaluronic acid, which according to the pamphlet that came with it, holds more than 1,000 times its weight in moisture.

This may seem like a lot of steps – but it only takes a minute or two and for me the results are worth it.

Top Bottom