What's new

How many days does a blade last?

I shave using Feather blades, I shave my face as well as my head every morning, recently with a Merkur slant bar (I love the slant bar!), how many days should I get out of a blade? I've been pushing six but I am wondering how often other people change there blades? Thanks Ian

Each brand performs differently for me, and from what I can tell everyone's results are different (sometimes dramatically). My personal results are:

Feather - 4 to 5 shaves
Merkur - 4 to 6 shaves
Derby - 7+ (I've never gone over 7 but certainly could)
Mysteriously Nameless Pharmacy Brand - 3 to 4 shaves

I've been changing my Israeli's once a week, but I think they'd go longer if I wanted to.

Cheers,
Indy

This is truly a complex question.. I'll try to give a simple answer and that is once a week unless needed sooner. The variables of blade (manufacturer), razor (design and adjustability), time of year (I find my beard heavier at different times), and a myriad of other variables complicate the answer. I like the simplicity of changing my blade every Saturday or Sunday and avoiding the end-of-blade-life bad shave.

So far I've adopted the simple life by changing blades every Saturday AM, in anticipation of having a "broken in blade" by Monday AM for work.

I also go with the "first bad tug" concept of trashing a blade the first 2 times it tugs too hard on a shave. They're just too inexpensive to dick around with and the cost of messing up your face is not worth it.

Bottom line: once a week or the first sign that the blade has outlived its usefulness.

I follow th same routine as KUJO except I change my blade on Sunday morning after my shave. I like to start the new week with a nice sharp blade.

Kevin

I meant to post this earlier, but I've actually noticed a fairly dramatic difference in the same blade when used in different razors. While the Derby seem immortal when used in my HD, I find it to dull significantly after 3-4 uses in my slant.

Kyle said:
I meant to post this earlier, but I've actually noticed a fairly dramatic difference in the same blade when used in different razors. While the Derby seem immortal when used in my HD, I find it to dull significantly after 3-4 uses in my slant.
Good point Kyle. I use a Vision and Slant Bar exclusively.

I always seem to get about a week's worth of shaves from any type of blade. That said, I only use Feathers, Merkurs, or Euro Gillettes, and one week's worth of shaves is around 4-5 for me.

DE blades are really no different than a straight razor. Once the blade begins to pull or provide a shave that is uncomfortalbe, it's time for action. Replace or re-sharpen. Your face has to be the judge. With DE blades, it's silly to try to stretch them for one or two more shaves.

Randy

I wish I could get more than three shaves per Merkur blade, but I think because I usually wind up doing 4 passes plus T&C per shave, there's just no way to make them last any longer.

-Rich

I shave using Feather blades, I shave my face as well as my head every morning, recently with a Merkur slant bar (I love the slant bar!), how many days should I get out of a blade? I've been pushing six but I am wondering how often other people change there blades? Thanks Ian

It all depends on the type of blade, the type of facial hair, the person using it, and sometimes the razor itself. There are so many variable for each person. Sometime a blade can last two days for one person and a month for another.

DE blades are really no different than a straight razor. Once the blade begins to pull or provide a shave that is uncomfortalbe, it's time for action. Replace or re-sharpen. Your face has to be the judge. With DE blades, it's silly to try to stretch them for one or two more shaves.

Exactly! A blunt blade easily leads to nicks and weepers, so it's not worth it using them beyond the maximum lifetime.

Feathers have only been good for two shaves for me. Great for those two then the third is quite different in a bad way.
Bluebirds I usually go for 10+
7 O'clock blacks last around 7
Most other blades I have tried are good for about 3-4

My beard is not particularly dense but my whiskers are super thick, like suspension bridge cables. Not many blades can last against that.
Some guys with lighter whiskers can pull off quite a few more shaves with the same blades, the above is just my experience.
This is one of the biggest YMMV questions out there.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The OP has likely figured out the answer during the seven years since he asked. :whistling:

Top Bottom