What's new

Daily fountain pen

I'd suggest a beater grade parker 51. I've gone to fountain pen network's WTB section a couple times and just said "I'm looking for functional parker 51s for daily writers." Ended up with 3. One for 30, which had a repaired barrel crack, 2 for 60ish which looked great to me. All of them are fantastic writers. Pelikan 200 or 400 would work in your price range, as would a Lamy 2k, which is on my wish list right now. Also, anything from Bexley is a good choice, even the steel nibbed ones. I just finished writing a letter with my simplicity (noodlers Antique Manuscript Brown ink and G Lalo paper), and it was fantastic.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a beater grade parker 51. I've gone to fountain pen network's WTB section a couple times and just said "I'm looking for functional parker 51s for daily writers." Ended up with 3. One for 30, which had a repaired barrel crack, 2 for 60ish which looked great to me. All of them are fantastic writers. Pelikan 200 or 400 would work in your price range, as would a Lamy 2k, which is on my wish list right now. Also, anything from Bexley is a good choice, even the steel nibbed ones. I just finished writing a letter with my simplicity (noodlers Antique Manuscript Brown ink and G Lalo paper), and it was fantastic.

+1 I own 5 Parker 51's but also you and do very well getting a Pilot fountain pen or possibly an Aurora. Both are excellent writers.

I am fond of Pelikan pens because of the ease of interchangability of the nibs, and the classic styling. The downside is that the classic looking ones only fill from a bottle.

However, I would consider buying a pen from John, at Nibs.com. If you tell him what kind of writer you are, and send him a sample of your writing, and buy the pen, he will smooth the nib for your specific style and orientation of writing. It will be the smoothest pen you've ever used, whether it's $49 or $4,900.

http://www.nibs.com/

I got a Parker 21 (never inked) and 51 (near mint) as a package deal for $90 on FPN. Liked them both better (appearance wise) than the Lamy Safari I have, but they are all fine writers for sure. I also have a Kaweco AL Sport and TWSBI Diamond 530. All of those, as well as the ones you mentioned would be great "starter" pens with all kinds of personality between the models. As much as anything, I'd suggest a new user not going cheap on ink. Noodler's is readily available, "bulletproof" in some cases if that's important, and pH balanced for long pen life (but Heaven knows there are dozens of other great options, don't be afraid to check out the ink reviews on FPN for more educated thoughts). I've only recently gotten interested in pens and as you can see it's an addiction like any other.

I know another fountain pen thread, but I need some advice too. Last week I lost my cross century II fp (had it about 4 years). Beautiful pen with a sterling silver cap. I am looking another daily driver pen for school, Im in undergrad now, and hopefully will be going to law school after I graduate. Im looking for something that most importantly writes great, has a professional look, and practical for everyday use. I would like to keep this at the very most under $200

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi

My go to fp are pelikans 200 or 400 series.....Though bottle filled I find that with normal note taking ...........treatment records and such I have to refill every other day or so

I usually buy pens from Richard Binder fair price and has custom nibs available at a fair price.

Rob

The vanishing points are very nice daily users but don't hold much ink, I run out in a couple of hours of writing. The Pelikan 200 models however hold a lot of ink and are fairly inexpensive. I used an italic model (M100?) all through college (80's), which the wife appropriated then lost many years ago. I recently got a Pelikan 200 italic and while it's still a nice writer the quality just isn't what it used to be, though it's still fairly inexpensive (< $100). One of these days I've got to get a good custom-made 1.3mm italic nib for a Pelikan 600.

Esterbrook and Parker 51 are my most recent purchases and I only have two others that I have not used in a long time. The ink seems to dry up pretty fast in the Parker 51 and it is a fine tip while the Esterbrook is a medium and seems easier to get started in the morning. The ink is a vintage bottle of permanent Skript Shaffer that I cannot remember where it came from; the original price sticker on it is 29 cents. Guess I should find somewhere to find some Noodlers ink.

my current every day fountain is a parker 95, made in france. got it on ebay for 10 bucks. (imho i got really lucky) it is not the fanciest pen i have, nor the cheapest...but i love the way writes...probably my favorite writing pen...i own a mont blanc 149 newer, esterbrook old, schaeffer old, parker 51 and have owned others, and really liked the writing with this one best....i pair it with quink blue black

I use a vanishing point as a daily writer with good results.

Hi Brian, I have been wanting to try one of those but the ones that sell for the $50 -60 range never seem to have the medium nib which I seem to like at least on the non-asian pens. I am told the asian fine is almost an extra fine nib.

Hi Brian, I have been wanting to try one of those but the ones that sell for the $50 -60 range never seem to have the medium nib which I seem to like at least on the non-asian pens. I am told the asian fine is almost an extra fine nib.

What nib do they come with?

I feel as if I just wandered into a strange land.

You have no idea. Using a fountain pen is in many ways like using a razor. There are many small ways in which it is better than ballpoints and rollerballs. I will not go back if I can help it. Strange lands are fun to explore and offer new vistas of experience. Buy a fountain pen - join us.

Rick

You have no idea. Using a fountain pen is in many ways like using a razor. There are many small ways in which it is better than ballpoints and rollerballs. I will not go back if I can help it. Strange lands are fun to explore and offer new vistas of experience. Buy a fountain pen - join us.

Rick

I completely agree. With a fountain pen in one hand, the DE in the other, how can we be stopped?

Rick

When traveling or wearing a nice suit, I am still wary of FP and leaking like they did many years ago...when I was young...lol. The rollerballs and the use of the gels are great and I have several of what I would consider newer pins but am told that they are discontinued, vintage, collector items. Monte Blanc Meisterstuk rollerballs-burgandy or dark red color. I just found two that I packed away in 1985 ish when I left Boston for SW Florida. Go Figure

The Lamy Nexx is a good pen but for about the same amount of money I would opt for the Lamy Safari, which I think is better looking then the Nexx.

+1 on the Safari! You can even order replacement parts directly from Lamy should you lose a cap, nib or barrel. Or if you want to customize one with different colours!

I used Sheaffer White Dot Fountain pens, on a daily basis for about 30 + years, before I retired. My career involved a lot of writing and I found that ballpoints tired my writing hand quite quickly.

I tried different brands of fountain pens , but after a period of trial and error found that White Dots, with gold tipped nibs worked best for me. I had 4 of these pens. One was stolen, one was lost and two I still have.

At any one time I would have two. One I would carry on my person or in my briefcase, to use when I went to meetings. The other I would use as my main desk pen.

I would never allow anyone to try out any of my fountain pens. Early on I was told that the nibs wear according to the pressure of the individual owner and one should never allow another to use their fountain pen.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but I adhered to it.

If someone wanted to borrow a pen...I would carry a ballpoint to lend to them.

I used Sheaffer White Dot Fountain pens, on a daily basis for about 30 + years, before I retired. My career involved a lot of writing and I found that ballpoints tired my writing hand quite quickly.

I tried different brands of fountain pens , but after a period of trial and error found that White Dots, with gold tipped nibs worked best for me. I had 4 of these pens. One was stolen, one was lost and two I still have.

At any one time I would have two. One I would carry on my person or in my briefcase, to use when I went to meetings. The other I would use as my main desk pen.

I would never allow anyone to try out any of my fountain pens. Early on I was told that the nibs wear according to the pressure of the individual owner and one should never allow another to use their fountain pen.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but I adhered to it.

If someone wanted to borrow a pen...I would carry a ballpoint to lend to them.

Those Sheaffer white dots are great pens. Not sure if you are looking, but Peyton Street Pens has a bunch of new old stock ones for sale, and the price for many variants is quite reasonable.

Top Bottom