What's new

Daily fountain pen

I am open to buying something more cost efficient, I just want good quality, and a pen that writes well.
A very inexpensive pen is the Hero 616, a clone of the Parker 51. You can often find them in 10 packs. It's an aerometric filler and holds a good amount of ink. It is a clip cap, though. They are certainly inexpensive enough to lose without much pain. The trim on some of a 10 pack may be misaligned, but the nibs seem to write well.

The Pelikan M200/M205 mentioned earlier is a nice pen. It's slightly on the smaller side but, with the piston fill, holds a good amount of ink. Pam Braun has good prices. Richard Binder tunes the nibs before shipment to ensure they write well, though at a bit higher price. That applies to all brands he carries and he carries several. The M215 is a fraction larger and a bit dressier. Interchangeable nibs may let you try different ones in the same pen body. The 400 will be a bit larger still. Richard's site has a pen size comparator that may be helpful.

I've bought from both Pam and Richard. My latest pen from Pam is my current favorite, though a bit above your price range. It is a Namiki Custom 823 Amber (demonstrator). It is a plunger filler, holds a ton of Private Reserve Chocolat ink, and writes very well. I paid $225+s&h, but am not sure what the current price is. If you're looking for something specific and you don't see it on her site, email to ask.

There are many pens that may fit your requirements, some new, some new old stock, and some used. For a wider look at pens, you may want to check out a pen show. The Triangle Pen Show is coming up in June.

Oh! It would be neglectful not to mention the TWSBI. It's a demonstrator, so its 'professional look' is highly debatable. However, it's very likely the best value in fountain pens today. Including shipping, they go for less than $45. They're piston-fill pens. They were made by an entrepreneur with a ton of feedback from the Fountain Pen Network community. They are made so that you can disassemble them if need be, and include instructions and tools for doing so. They have a reputation for being very reliable.

They're sold directly from the manufacturer on ebay, and they are certainly worth a look.

+1 on this suggestion, I take my notes in class with this pen and I love it because I'm not worried about losing it and it writes well for the cost ($14). Heck you could buy the noodler's for a daily pen and get a nice one to keep at home were you don't have to worry as much about losing it. It does have a threaded cap as per your criteria and comes in a range of colors.

Here is a link to a video showing the pen and some simple repairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooiu2r3zHWc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
I love my Pelikan M200 with a fine point, it writes great and feels good in the hand. I really like tge piston filling system and the ink window.

+1 on this suggestion, I take my notes in class with this pen and I love it because I'm not worried about losing it and it writes well for the cost ($14). Heck you could buy the noodler's for a daily pen and get a nice one to keep at home were you don't have to worry as much about losing it. It does have a threaded cap as per your criteria and comes in a range of colors.

Here is a link to a video showing the pen and some simple repairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooiu2r3zHWc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Noodler's pens are pretty cool. I have a blue piston filler that writes very well. I use it to take notes at meetings.

I'm a student and I take a lot of notes. I have a Vanishing Point and it never goes to school with me because it doesn't hold enough ink to get me through a day of note taking.

I have a Pelikan 215 with an EF nib and I like the pen but it lays down a very thick line, if it was an EEF I think it would be great. I have been thinking of sending the pen off to get the nib ground to an EEF.

I also have a TWSBI demonstrator with an EF nib. Its my work horse pen. It holds a lot of ink, lays down a nice thin line, its a screw cap that won't come off in my pocket like my Pelikan does.

I have several other fountain pens but the TWSBI and the Pelikan see the most use. I like the TWSBI so much I am considering ordering another one but I'm trying to hold of until the vacuum filler is released.

Here is another vote for the Vanishing Point as a daily writer. I have mine ground with a custom cursive italic nib at nibs.com.

I have a fairly large collection of fountain pens, including Parkers, Mont Blanc, waterman, Omas, sheaffer, Aurora, Pelikan, etc. And I find that the Vanishing Points are the most conducive for taking notes in meetings or conferences because you don't have to constantly put the cap on and off. Just retract the nib like a ballpoint with one hand.

Here is another vote for the Vanishing Point as a daily writer. I have mine ground with a custom cursive italic nib at nibs.com.

I have a fairly large collection of fountain pens, including Parkers, Mont Blanc, waterman, Omas, sheaffer, Aurora, Pelikan, etc. And I find that the Vanishing Points are the most conducive for taking notes in meetings or conferences because you don't have to constantly put the cap on and off. Just retract the nib like a ballpoint with one hand.
I have a .6mm Binder stub on my Raden VP, a lovely looking and lovely writing pen. I also have a decent sized collection of different pen brands, Conway Stewart, Bexley, Parker, Shaeffer, Pelikan, Omas, DaniTrio, Nakaya, etc. and was a regular on FPN while building my collection. It took quite a while and an exposure to a bunch of different pens to figure out what I liked and didn't like.

Another aspect of this decision is how many notes will be taken. For jotting a quick note here and there, the VP is excellent as it is very quick to deploy. For occasionally longer note taking, it would suffice there also. In constant note taking all day, I have drained over half of the ink in my Namiki Custom 823, which holds a huge amount of ink. If I had used the VP instead, I would have needed a backup or two for that volume of note taking. The OP needs to consider how much note taking is likely needed in an average day and factor that into filler choice and also determine whether a backup or spare cartridge may be needed if it exceeds average use that day. Bottle ink is cheaper to fill, but spare cartridges are easier to carry. Perhaps carrying two less expensive pens is the answer. :001_smile There could be a bottle filled primary and a cartridge filled secondary with a backup cartridge just in case. (Leave the cartridge out and insert when needed to avoid drying the ink if you don't use it.) I even carried a backup to my 823 just in case, though I think I it was a Pelikan or a Conway Stewart. Lots of options.

If the OP can wait just over a month, I still recommend a visit to the pen show. (Careful, though. AD applies here also.) Personal taste can be hard to fit remotely by others. There is nothing that can replace holding a pen in your hand, writing with it, and seeing for yourself if you like it or not. Richard Binder mentioned on his site that he would be at the Raleigh pen show I linked to earlier. Other nibmeisters may be there also along with a bunch of pen stores and independent vendors. That may provide as close to a guarantee as is possible, the pen of choice with the nib tuned by a pro.

I know another fountain pen thread, but I need some advice too. Last week I lost my cross century II fp (had it about 4 years). Beautiful pen with a sterling silver cap. I am looking another daily driver pen for school, Im in undergrad now, and hopefully will be going to law school after I graduate. Im looking for something that most importantly writes great, has a professional look, and practical for everyday use. I would like to keep this at the very most under $200

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi

By daily fountain pen is a 200 series Pelikan with a itailic nib . Also use a 400 series though I fint it a bit heavy. I use Noodles legal lapis ink...quick drying a nearly smudge proof

Rob

I guess my daily fountain pen (I have a few) has to be the Lamy 2000. It is a very solid pen that holds a huge amount of ink. Highly recommended! I really enjoy using it, and it's one of the few pens that I would 'dare' to carry in one of my pockets.

The Lamy Nexx is a good pen but for about the same amount of money I would opt for the Lamy Safari, which I think is better looking then the Nexx.

Huge fan of the Pelikan Pura as my daily FP. Very modern look...good resevoir and a nice line. Some don't like the heft tho (it's pretty hefty for a FP being made of aluminum)...but it works for me

I have a Rotring Initial fountain pen that rides with me on my bike to/from work everyday and flies once a month or so on business trips. Never leaks. I use cartridges with it because it is easier to travel with though it came with a converter. I have had it for 6 or so years. You can find them for $40 or so shipped. They come in all silver and silver with shiny or matte black.

Out of all the fountain pens I have, the Vanishing Point is near the top of the list. Something about it just works really well for my writing style. The lower ink capacity isn't a HUGE deal unless you do some heavy amounts of writing per day.. then it might lose a point or two.

I have a handful of fountain pens in daily use, including a Parker 51, a couple of Safaris, a Lamy Vista, a vintage Sheaffer 444, and a Pelikan M200, and a VP with an M nib, and I have to say the VP has the smoothest writing nib of all of them. It just feels like I barely have to touch the nib to the paper and it just flows.

love my Lamy 2000... if I remember right it was about that price. I really like the look because it doesn't attract attention. It is a matte black.

I have that pen and for the 35.00 bucks it cost I am amazed at the performance.

If there is a "dream" pen (usually vintage), you can probably find a Chinese knockoff that writes well at a pittance of a price.

For me the Ivory and Black Parker Duofold was my dream and my Kaigelu fools 100% of citizens and was in the mid 2 figures.

proxy.php

Those are really nice; I wish that I knew more about these. There was another pen (Jinhao?) that are really cheap/inexpensive and some have the more expensive nib. There were several of the Kaigleu but not many on the website that I looked at from China. I keep telling myself to wait for a reasonable deal on a used Vanishing Point because they seem to be popular among user types.

Top Bottom