What's new

Traveling?

I am new to using a brush and proper shaving. I just got a badger brush and don't want to ruin it by packing it wrong. I can't justify spending the money on a travel brush at this point. What is the best way to pack my brush for travel to prevent damage?

You can buy a plastic travel tube (WCS has one), or - depending on the size of your brush - use a large prescription pill bottle.

Make sure to drill some holes - you want air circulating to help dry out the brush.

You can get a REALLY big pill bottle at the pharmacy (and punch a couple holes in the top).

I have a could Crystal Light containers (the plastic tube like containers that used to have packets of powder in them) that work very well, even for larger brushes (and straights, or small bottles of AS, Cologne, etc).

I have used a toilet paper tube for short trips, not checking luggage.

Muhle makes a small travel tube that fits most brushes.

Simpson makes a travel tube that fits many of their smaller brushes (or any smaller brush really).

hope that helps!

You could spend ~$10 on an Omega boar and use it for travel. Not too big an investment for the peace of mind. Boars are useful and quite capable.

Awesome, thanks for the ideas guys. I going to start sifting around the house to see if I can find something to use.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am new to using a brush and proper shaving. I just got a badger brush and don't want to ruin it by packing it wrong. I can't justify spending the money on a travel brush at this point. What is the best way to pack my brush for travel to prevent damage?

attachment.php

and here is the thread:

Pill bottles work just fine. Fancy pants padding around the handle optional. But I like my "pipe bomb" travel case made from PVC pipe and fittings. Pretty near crush proof. Drill ventilation holes or not, as you please.

I have a could Crystal Light containers (the plastic tube like containers that used to have packets of powder in them) that work very well, even for larger brushes (and straights, or small bottles of AS, Cologne, etc).

I like the Crystal Light container idea! I'm not sure how sturdy it is though. That's one nice thing about prescription bottles, they're crushproof.

You should be able to get some for free.

I've found some of the ones that Medco sends out if you mail-order scripts work too. They tend to be large because typically they're sending out 90 days worth of medication.

I pack mine inside a toilet paper roll. Tape the bottom and it will stay in place.

+1. This is the ultimate in cheap and easy. In fact, I don't even tape the ends, I just "squish" them in so that the brush stays in place. Never had a problem and nothing comes close in terms of cost, ease and replaceability.

If you are going to travel frequently, I would also recommend buying a cheaper brush. Even with the best travel tube ever, if your luggage gets lost or stuff is stolen you won't miss a $15 boar brush as much as your $150 Simpson.

+1 on the large prescription bottle. Works well, and they're free. Punch a couple holes in the top and bottom, and off you go.

I use my Simpson Case with the requisite matching, made to measure travel container. Very nice brush and container combo.

I use a Wee Scot or an Omega Bambino in a pill bottle with some holes drilled in it for ventelation. It works great for travel.

Top Bottom