What's new

How to care for a wood handled brush?

Hi gents. I just bought an un-used SOC boar from the BST. This will be my first wood handled brush so I need some pointers on proper care.

I tend to soak my acrylic Omega 31025 in the sink basin while I'm in the shower. The only negative from this is the plastic ring has cracked in three places. Other than that no problems. I take it I won't want to do this with the SOC. I'm guessing I should just soak the bristles in a mug? Is there anything else I need to know?

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
If the wood isn't sealed with poly or something similar, I recommend using a food grade mineral oil. It's what I use on my butcher block, kitchen knife handles, etc. Just try not to get any on the hair.

I have a teak handle brush that was sealed in carnuba wax, and once it wears off I'll be oiling it with mineral oil.

Depending on the wood, it may not need much card; e.g. teak and ebony are pretty weather resistant.

Just avoid water. Water and wood don't mix. Some are worse than others. it depends how it was finished. If an oiled finish keep applying oil if sealed keep resealing it. Personally, for a brush I would never buy wood.

If the wood isn't sealed with poly or something similar, I recommend using a food grade mineral oil. It's what I use on my butcher block, kitchen knife handles, etc. Just try not to get any on the hair.

I have a teak handle brush that was sealed in carnuba wax, and once it wears off I'll be oiling it with mineral oil.

Depending on the wood, it may not need much card; e.g. teak and ebony are pretty weather resistant.

I agree now if your want to refinish it get a spray can of Marine Spar Varnish and your good to go. I also always hang my brushes upside down regardless of handle material. It was Great Grandpaw , Grandpaw, Dad and various other Men in my family did with theirs. As my Father said you hang boar bristle paint brushs upsided down to dry properly and you do your shaving brush the same way.

Depends, Rudy uses stabilized wood and immersing in water for short periods of time doesn't seem to bother mine...just make sure you dry it properly post-shave...I usually rub the handle dry with a towel before standing it up on it's base to dry over-night...by the time I get back to the brush in a week or so, it's bone dry...

Good tips. Does anyone know what kind of finish Semogue uses on their natural finish brushes like the Owner's Club? Catalyzed polymer, oil, beeswax, lacquer, hand rubbed polyurethane? Using mineral oil on a lacquer or poly finish won't do a lick of good so it would be good to know what kind of finish the brush has.

Good tips. Does anyone know what kind of finish Semogue uses on their natural finish brushes like the Owner's Club?

I was wondering the same, sorry I'm not any help, but I'll be looking for the answer as well.....

~JD

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Good tips. Does anyone know what kind of finish Semogue uses on their natural finish brushes like the Owner's Club? Catalyzed polymer, oil, beeswax, lacquer, hand rubbed polyurethane? Using mineral oil on a lacquer or poly finish won't do a lick of good so it would be good to know what kind of finish the brush has.

Right. Mineral oil only on unfinished wood.

Last edited:
If you like use an oil based polyurethane to finish the handle. I generally do 4 coats and lightly polish after the 3rd with some light grit sanding materiel 600-1000. Then the 4th coat followed by some polishing with a plastic polish like PlastX. Don't be worried about a wooden handle, they're a lot tougher than people think. Just look at some of them on the 'bay, hair worn down and the handle is fine.

With proper care, a wood handle should last a very long time. I started 'collecting' wooden handled brushes 8 months ago when I started with B&B and was smitten by a bad SBAD. I now have 9 of them. I don't soak their handles. The oldest one looks as good as the newest. I feel the key to a wooden brush with either a painted or natural finish is to not soak the handle and by all means, don't drop them on a hard surface and break the finish, exposing the wood.

To me, the esthetics of a well turned wooden handle is just so much nicer than plastic. They are well worth the extra care.

Top Bottom