What's new

Finding the right fragrance

So a week or so ago I posted a thread regarding Creed as prior to joining B&B I had never heard of them.

Yes...I am finding that even asking about Creed is a gateway drug to other Frags. So in preparation for my visit to local high end department stores (Nordstrom and Nieman Marcus) does anyone have any recommended scents I should try?

I have Harris' Sandalwood AS, Pens BB Cologne, and TOBS Mr. Taylor AS lotion. As for pure scents I am a fan of sandalwood and prefer the scent of both Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream and EJ Sandalwood Cream to any of the three T's.

So...which other frags should I sample?

Also...how generous are Nieman and Nordstroms with samples?

Thanks!

If you like the AOS sandalwood cream, you might try the AOS sandalwood edt. If you are after a drier sandalwood scent, and you apparently are if you like the AOS, you might try Tam Dao, C&E sandalwood and C-M sandalwood fragrances. If you like the D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave (sweet and spicy), you would like TOBS sandalwood and probably Zino Davidoff.

Thanks!

Not very generous unless you know someone working there or they feel like you are going to be a big spender. If you buy something, they will generally throw in a sample, but they probably won't be so willing if you're just some dude sniffing around the counter.

If you happen to be in a larger Neiman Marcus, check out the Tom Ford Private Blends. Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Tobacco Vanille, and Italian Cypress are all worth a sniff.

The Tom ford rep is pretty generous with samples at my Nieman. BUT, he knows I buy stuff. Have bought a couple of scents from him and usually check in with him when I'm there.

It will be a bit tricky just marching up and asking for samples. I know they seem like insignificant little vials, but bear in mind every SA gets hit up by people who only ever come in to hit them for samples. They are also well aware that many people "mooch" samples, especially from from the high end scents, to sell them on eBay. The Creed samples are especially desirable since they're in nicely printed little vials and look to me to be about 3ml.

I'll be the pessimist on this post and say don't expect much unless you buy something...and even then don't expect more than 2-3.

One alternate strategy that might work, I know a Basenoters who travels with here own tiny vials. Most SAs don't object if she decants a wee bit from their testers.

I know spending that much on a scent makes it feel like they sure as hell ought to offer samples, but sadly people who abuse samples make it tricky for an SA to be generous.

So a week or so ago I posted a thread regarding Creed as prior to joining B&B I had never heard of them.

Yes...I am finding that even asking about Creed is a gateway drug to other Frags. So in preparation for my visit to local high end department stores (Nordstrom and Nieman Marcus) does anyone have any recommended scents I should try?

I have Harris' Sandalwood AS, Pens BB Cologne, and TOBS Mr. Taylor AS lotion. As for pure scents I am a fan of sandalwood and prefer the scent of both Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream and EJ Sandalwood Cream to any of the three T's.

So...which other frags should I sample?

Thanks!

Ive found that just writing a short email to the company explaining your in the market for a new scent and requesting a sample of _____. This strategy has worked very well for me. Penhaligons, C&S, Mugler, Hermes, Ormonde, Ineke, Truefitt and Hill( who sent their whole library)all sent me samples for free in the mail.
This tactic did not work with Creed however :sneaky2:...but it was worth a try.

Czech & Speake and Penhaligons are worth checking out. I'm partial to C&S myself.

I don't believe you will find either of these at NM or Nordstrom, but I will second the Penhaligon's recommendation. One of the best, if not the best London based perfumer IMO. You guys can keep your C&S, my mileage varied substantially.... :blink:

Ive found that just writing a short email to the company explaining your in the market for a new scent and requesting a sample of _____. This strategy has worked very well for me. Penhaligons, C&S, Mugler, Hermes, Ormonde, Ineke, Truefitt and Hill( who sent their whole library)all sent me samples for free in the mail.
This tactic did not work with Creed however :sneaky2:...but it was worth a try.

I haven't had as good of luck with this strategy, however, Floris did send me decants of their entire line. Unfortunately there wasn't anything very compelling in the mix to my nose.

Pens did send me a sartorial sample awhile back, but explained that they will no longer be providing any samples at request.

I have heard others have success doing this with Tom Ford, but it didn't work with me, but I haven't emailed them in close to a year, so they may have changed their ways. I would never have banked on Creed being generous...

Top Bottom