What's new

Newbie just starting out

Hi everyone!

So I think the last time I held a DE razor is when my dad would let me shave with no blade! Ya, I was young. A few people I know have made the switch to a DE and won't look back. I have to give this an honest try!

They all bought new and the contenders seem to be Merkur HD34C, 38C and I have heard good reviews for Edwin Jagger DE89L. I am also intrigued by the older adjustables.

So the question is with all the choices and not wanting to get a bad experience the first go around, does any stand out more than any other? Does one have a certain advantage? I am new to this so I need advice.

I have always used cartridges but I have always used a brush and soap to shave so I'm halfway there! Haha. I was going to get a sampler pack of blades but the razor itself, I have no clue.

What do the experts say to lean to for a razor?

Thanks, Scott

Welcome to B&B, Scott.

There are many good razors out there. I also like adjustables and the slim is one that is not overpriced and does a great job.

Welcome to B&B, Scott!

The Merkur and EJ razors that you mention are all superb, relatively mild, and great to start out with. Come to that, they are great for experienced shavers also. The Merkurs are slightly more aggressive than the EJ89L.

I'd say go for the EJ. Save the adjustable for later. I spent way to much time trying to get my Merkur Progress dialed into the right setting, which would have been better spent learning about the angle.

Welcome to B&B, Scott.

There are many good razors out there. I also like adjustables and the slim is one that is not overpriced and does a great job.

Welcome, Scott!

+1 to this plug for the slim. If you do go the adjustable route, set it at a specific number (like 3 or 4 (mild)) and stick with it for the first few weeks. Resist the temptation to fiddle until your technique falls into place.

I also like the merkur progress, if you're thinking about something new-production.

I don't have any EJs, but there are lots of folks here who swear by them. I'll let others chime in on what they know.

Enjoy the ride, and don't be too upset with two or three bad shaves over the first couple months. Stick with it and ask questions here if you get stuck.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Welcome to B&B!

The vintage Gillette adjustable razors are very nice. The slim, black or super adjustables are some you could choose from.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would suggest having a look at the reviews (See top menu).

Like someone already stated I would wait on the adjustable razors till later. I haven't used any de razors except merkur razors -1 gillette superspeed. I like all the ones I have. I started with the Hd34c and was great. You should first figure out the angle and get used to the de style of shaving. Blade samplers are always a good way to start. Good luck and welcome.

Welcome to B&B. I have a Merkur 23c, wish it was the 38. I've good reviews on both. The 23c has a long handle, don't really care for the handle.

Mark.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and warm welcome!

Sounds like the Merkur is the way to get started. I am still intrigued by the older adjustables though as that was what I remember my dad using some 35+ years ago!

Are the tolerances on older shavers as close as the newer crafted ones? I love the quality of older overbuilt things but can also appreciate the quality of newer tighter engineering.

I can see where this becomes an addiction :biggrin1:

The friends I know who have gone this route are the ones who enjoy tradition and rituals and so do I. This world moves too fast for me. Time to slow down and take a step back once in a while.

Thanks again and I will update as I progress!

Welcome to B&B!

I would suggest having a look at the reviews (See top menu).

Thanks for the tip! From looking at and reading a lot of reviews I think I'm leaning toward the Gillette Slim Adjustable. Everyone made it sound less aggressive than the Merkur but can be dialed up later. Ebay here I come!

Top Bottom