What's new

Grill help

Hello all.
As with all major purchases lately, I am here to ask my B&B bretheren for their input.
I have recently decided to NOT design a build a full-scale outdoor kitchen/bar/grillery. Instead, I am just going to buy a low/mid level gas (LP) grill.

Thoughts and opinions please, on the best sub-$1,000 grill out there for the occassional weekend griller? I am not very experienced, and I don't get fancy. No need for the amazing options, smoker, rotiserie, etc. Just a good, works well, will last decently grill. Side-burner is a plus.
Looked at the weber E-320 for a beginning comparison purposes. Other options, opinions?

Many, many thanks as always.

Well, a campfire is more basic. Thanks, but looking for a gas grill, and in my pricerange, I think I can do a little nicer and more full-featured. Already got a smokey joe for car-camping.

Edit: Sorry, just re-read and realized my response was pretty snarky. Was just typing fast and responded quickly, I do appreciate the throught!

Last edited:
Forget the gas and do it right! Just buy a Weber charcoal kettle.:thumbup1:

I would, but then what happens is I start looking at all I can do with charcoal, and then I'm looking at the Big Green Egg, and then my wife reminds me that this is going overboard for the amount of times we grill (she's right), and then I don't buy anything, and I'm left without a grill (our built in was destroyed this winter).

As far as Gas goes, I'm a big fan of the Weber "Q" series. They are portable, but you can buy a stand for them. Unless you are grilling an entire side of beef, this grill gives pretty decent real estate. Otherwise, I'm always a huge fan of the classic Weber charcoal grill. I cooked/smoked our Thanksgiving turkey on one last year. Best turkey we have ever made. I always do my best grilling over charcoal. I can just never get the temp and zones right with gas.

I like the Charbroiled brand because you can they provide replacement parts for every piece of the grill.

My brother just bought a new Free standing grill a few weeks ago (different brand). He also got a hose kit so that he could hook it up to his natural gas line instead of using propane.

Hmm, something I know about...

I have a Perfect Grill gas grill (which is the house brand of either Lowes or Home Depot, I forget which) it was about $550 and a New Braunfels charcoal offset smoker.

The gas grill is pretty simple, they usually have 3 burners, either L to R or Front to Back. Extras are the side burner and rotisserie, both of which are not needed but can be nice.

I don't get the feeling that the name on the grill contributes to the flavor, so as long as the shape, size, and features are acceptable to you, I think they will all do the same job. My grill will do any type of grilling so I don't really see the need to spend more.

Charcoal grills are a whole different animal, I won't get into it since you are not asking, but there are some definite preferences that I have there.

Hope that helps.

I like Weber for charcoal grilling, but for gas I like Charbroil. As said before, parts are easy to get, they last a long time, and cook very evenly. It's the only brand for a gas grill I'll ever buy.

Don't forget to hit craigslist. I bought 3 weber stainless grills for my buddies for 20 bucks each, and a Charbroil Pro stainless for myself for free, just came by and got it.:thumbup1:
As an aside, I bought a Treager in '88 and used it for 10 years before I gave it to my dad, and it's STILL going strong for him. One of the best grills I've ever used really. Might be the best way of cooking ribs on the planet.

Brent.

I would, but then what happens is I start looking at all I can do with charcoal, and then I'm looking at the Big Green Egg, and then my wife reminds me that this is going overboard for the amount of times we grill (she's right), and then I don't buy anything, and I'm left without a grill (our built in was destroyed this winter).

You will grill more often with a ceramic! Well maybe not.....

Michael

I agree, and would get a Primo Oval XL and be done with it. You can light it with a MAPP torch and call it gas! :thumbup1:

I actually just did light mine with a MAPP torch, literally just lit it for this evenings Pork Chops if the rain stays away. I cook on it 3 or 4 times a week and unless I am doing low n slow, only add lump about once a week.

P.S. Who did your stand? I want one.

Michael

I was mulling over a grill at Sams Club that had a propane grill and side burner on one side and a charcoal grill with an adjustable fire box on the other. It looked pretty well made for $399.00. As I already have a functioning grill, I talked myself out of it.... for now.

Top Bottom