What's new

Williams Razor, made in America?

I got in the razor I bought on eBay the other day. Williams Razor Company, Worcester, Mass. is on the tang and "The Williams" is in Gold lettering on the blade. There was but one picture, and I think most people thought that the gold wash was rust. I was kind of curious, so I put in a bid and won it at 18.51 FREE shipping. The description said that it belonged to her Grandfather that died before she was born. I told her I would hone and shave with it in her Grandfathers tribute. It had a very little rust along the front edge of the blade, maybe from some blood, or who knows. I honed it out and got it past the 12K on the hones and have shaved with it. Good shaver, but I really don't have a clue on William Razor company. Any ideas out there? Nothing on the reverse tang indicating it was made in England or Germany, just what you see in the pictures. Scales are in excellent shape and closes right in the middle. Looks like a 1/2 hollow or 1/4 hollow blade from the front, as the top tang is kind of wedge shape until about 1/2 way down the blade.

The blade is quite polished, and also very shiny. Even the tang is shiny like my new Dovo and Revisor. Top of spine is free from any defects, and there is a bit of staining, not rust, toward the toe of the blade. Also, the gold wash seems to be a little faded from the middle on toward the back (heel), unless it was that way from the factory.

proxy.php

And, a close up of the tang.

proxy.php

Pretty ornate with the gold for a razor of $18.51. Even has jimps underneath, and get this. The jimps have absolutely no rust anywhere in the depth, even in the area around the pivot pin. Came from Arizona, so it may have helped it with the dry weather. Notice also on the first picture the lack of really any honing marks on the spine. To me it looked like it had not been used very much nor honed little if any.

The black box it came in is almost like new condition, but there is not emblems nor lettering at all on the box. I would think if it were made in Germany, it would say that on the tang. Quite a nice surprise from eBay purchase.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Worcester MA was a center of the razor manufacturing industry, though not as important as, say, Geneva. I think I have a couple of blades stamped Worcester. That's a pretty good find, I would say, for the price you paid. Very light hone wear, yeah. I like the design of the blade. No big, bulky, intrusive stabilizer extending out to the edge. In fact, this blade looks very familiar. Looks like it would wear nicely as a daily shaver, and be usable until it is worn down to little more than half what it is now.

Top Bottom