What's new

Vulfix V's Simpson

Planning on getting a Simpsons brush at some point as I have heard good things about them but after reading Gary Youngs thread about Vulfix and their buying out of Simpsons I had a few questions.

Are they made in the same factory to the same standard?

Is a Vulfix brush similar but with a different logo or is there a lot more to it than that?

Which do you own & prefer using?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I had a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger (I think that's pre-Simpson buyout) for 5 years and loved it. Recently got a Simpsons Persian Jar 2 Super and love it. The PJs has a denser knot, lathers better (IMO) and is, how do I put it...nicer; I prefer my PJ2 over the 2235, but that doesn't take anything away from the Vulfix.

I don't think you will go wrong getting either.

Last edited:
Planning on getting a Simpsons brush at some point as I have heard good things about them but after reading Gary Youngs thread about Vulfix and their buying out of Simpsons I had a few questions.

Are they made in the same factory to the same standard?

Is a Vulfix brush similar but with a different logo or is there a lot more to it than that?

Which do you own & prefer using?

they are different, both are quality made it seems I have a vulfix 40 and 41 and to tell you the truth , like those handles better than my simpsons chubby, tulip, wee scot

but the style of brush is clearly different.

Duotone, this board runs quite heavily toward Simpson, so do factor that in when replies to your query start arriving. In general, the Simpson brushes are thought to be a little denser overall than the Vulfix line. And the Best Badger hair Simpson has currently been using is very nice.

Some but not all of the Vulfix handles are turned from hard material--they have some injection molded type grips on some of their brushes. Every Simpson I have ever held or seen detail photos of have all been turned on some type of lathe equipment. I personally feel that makes for a nicer overall package.

Vulfix brushes seem in the same boat as Kent. Designed to be a little floppy. Maybe some people like that. I don't. Simpson is the way to go imho. Their brushes are denser and more than likely use a different (higher) grade of hair.

I had a Vulfix Super and it was a nice brush. Floppy, but not to the point that I found it unusable. I would still have it except I passed it on to a friend when he started wetshaving (I had gotten it the same way).

I've owned about a dozen Simpsons brushes since and I have to admit a preference. I love their Best grade hair but Pure is also quite nice for the money, more on par with that other places offer as Best.

I'm not a fan of the 2-band brushes and I have my first 3-band super coming hopefully today.

Top Bottom