What's new

Exfoliate = best shave I ever had

I am continously looking for the perfect shave. I read on numerous sites that you must exfoliate before shaving in order to prevent red bumps and shaving rash. The sites recommended using a loofah or some mild apricot soap but being a guy I went all out and bought a dry brush and an exfoliation mitt (see below).

Before my morning shower I scrubbed my face and neck pretty firmly with the brush. The dry brush burned a bit since it has hard bristles but at the same time it felt good, kind of like a massage. In the shower I further exfoliated using the mitts.

Following my shower I had the smoothest shave I have ever had. Not to sound like a Gillette commercial but it was like my razor was "gliding" over my skin. No tugging or pulling. My skin is so smooth and wasnt irritated at all. Which is rare thing especially on my neck. (FYI, I used a gillette red tip w/ a persona blade that was used 4 times prior to this shave). My theory is exfoliation prevents skin irritation/red bumps because it removes excess dirt, and dead skin cells which clog your pores since your razor acts like snow plow and drags all that gunk into the open pores with each pass. It also results in gentler shave since your skin is smoother and the razor doesnt have to plow through all that gunk.

Has anyone else tried this? Are your results similiar.

Here is what I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001G7PWCM/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3760911&s=beauty
http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therape...image_1_0?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&img=0&color_name=1

Way to go! I love those gloves. Never tried the louffe. I also use a device called a clarisonic for my face, to exfoliate and also to soften whiskers. The device is fantastic and I won't be found without it. I am no way connected with the company that makes it. Just love the dang thing for my face and my shaves.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Brad:
As an Afro-American (52), who has been wet-shaving for over 30 years, I found that using a old tooth-brush to ‘gently’ exfoliate my skin was too soft in lifting up in grown hairs and I've tried using a natural bristle brush (as advised above and just the right amount of stiffness too...after lathering-up & 'softening' of my face), the night before and before my daily morning shaving ritual really improved my ongoing battle with ingrown hairs. :thumbup:

"Suggestion for those of you with ingrown hair..."), and Posted Replies.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=193129

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

If you like exfoliating scrubs, check places like TJ Maxx. I can usually find a tube of Zirh scrub ($15 on Amazon) for about $3. The tubes are never open or tampered with, but sometimes pretty close to the expiration date. Given that I'm going to use it before my morning shave it disappears pretty quickly anyway.

Brad:
As an Afro-American (52), who has been wet-shaving for over 30 years, I found that using a old tooth-brush to ‘gently’ exfoliate my skin was too soft in lifting up in grown hairs and I've tried using a natural bristle brush (as advised above and just the right amount of stiffness too...after lathering-up & 'softening' of my face), the night before and before my daily morning shaving ritual really improved my ongoing battle with ingrown hairs. :thumbup:

"Suggestion for those of you with ingrown hair..."), and Posted Replies.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=193129

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Brad,

Where can you buy the brush shown in the photo?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have just been using the synthetic brush by The Body Shop with Musgo Real's lime soap. I wonder if that is enough exfoiliation?

Isn't the badger suppose to be exfoliating as you apply/work up the lather? On an ongoing basis would one really need more than that?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I never saw the need to go to the extremes of exfoliating to get a good shave, just a good face wash before lathering. Gets rid of all the oil and dirt from the previous day for me. But if you were getting bad shaves or irritation before that and get good shaves and no irritation now, then it must work.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I exfoliated in the shower and after I got out I used a homemade pre-shave oil and than mixed up a foam with cream. THAT WAS ONE SMOOTH SHAVE! My shaving experience was similar to yours.

Ed

Top Bottom