What's new

synthetic brush? super badger?

Hi! thank you ALL for your help! I am new to straight razors, and have one brush. kent pure badger.

i just ordered a simpson from Jarrod. at the superior shave. i am anxious to get it!

what do all you experts think about a synthetic brush? my goal is to have 4 brushes and 4 razors!

what is your opinion about paying more for a simpsons super badger?

thanks again

Bob

By all accounts, today's synthetic brushes are far superior to those from not too long ago. Omega and ToBS both make models that are highly regarded. As for Simpson Super, they're fantastic brushes. Which one did you get?

i did not get Super, i think persian jar best.

still learning to shave with a straight razor, it has been around 2 weeks. bad news: not complete shave. good news, no cuts.

i do find it hard to strop the razor. cannot tell if i am doing it right.

thanks

bob

A thought for you. For most (at least for me:lol:) it's more about the face feel than the materials.

I can see the intellectual appeal to thinking "I have a boar, a badger, a horse and a synthetic. I have all my bases covered." I would caution against that "logic".

There is huge variation between different grades of badger and between badgers with the same hair but different "architectures"... Density, loft, knot size etc. A Chubby 2 in best will feel very different from your PJ. Even changing sizes sighing a range can completely change your experience (say PJ2 & PJ3)

The same considerations apply to all the other knot materials. You may find you love a Semogue 1305 but hate(? Too strong!) an Omega 20102.

Your Simpson will be a good middle of the field brush to give you and idea whether you prefer something more scrubby, more luxurious, whatever. I would give yourself a couple months with it to see how your perceptions/preferences develop.

Enjoy your new brush and post impressions as your tastes evolve.:thumbup:

Ken

Everything is relative. The synthetics of yesteryear were dreadful. The newer ones are far better. The question is are they as good as natural hair. I don't think so.

I have an Omega synthetic brush and have no problems creating lathers on both soaps and creams. It dries very quickly and almost maintenance free. It makes a great travel brush or for those who's against using any animal products.

Before I purchased a Badger, all I used was a synthetic brush- old, cheap one. It makes plenty of lather, way too floppy. I still use it, but would like to try one of the newer synthetic ones. There is post about the new Muhle synthetic brush- expensive though.

I agree with Ken.

Wait until you develop your own style, and your preferences.

Then you can explore that type of product, say large brushes, for example.

I have a synthetic brush from the Body Shop. It's a fine little brush, great with soaps, but it's different from my badger and boar- doesn't hold as much water, for sure, but it's also not alike in this other way I can't quite describe. Just different. I'm not sure how another synthetic will perform but the amount of water the brush retains seems to be a big factor on these forums.

Here's my opinion: the Persian jar you have on the way is far superior to any synthetic brush, and way better than most badger brushes. Use it, and it alone every day for the next few months. Don't buy any more. Perhaps put the straight razor to one side for a while. Become a black belt in Persian Jar and soap/cream lathering. Then, if you want to, consider other brushes and using a straight razor. Good luck.

THANK YOU everybody! i will get used to my simpson persian jar, (love it so far, it is firmer than my other) before getting another brush.

still learning to use the straight razor, have not cut myself yet

best
bob

You should still get a synthetic brush. :001_smile It's true there are lots of variations between different badger brushes, but there is an even bigger leap to use a synthetic. Synthetics have their plus/minus characteristics, and what brush you prefer to use on any given day may depend on your mood and soap/cream choice. Though my Badger brushes are my favorites, some days I prefer a synthetic and could be happy with it if forced to use one daily.

Top Bottom