What's new

Kansas City get together

Hello Guys,

I have put together or helped put together about 5 Wet Shaving Razor Meets. The first thing to be done is to set a Date, Place & time. Otherwise, nothing is ever decided. Don't ask, just do it. Then search the Member list for guys in the area and send them both a PM and an email if they have entered one (Email is the most effective). Start small and expect 10-20 guys to show up.

Hope this helps, :001_smile

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hello Guys,

I have put together or helped put together about 5 Wet Shaving Razor Meets. The first thing to be done is to set a Date, Place & time. Otherwise, nothing is ever decided. Don't ask, just do it. Then search the Member list for guys in the area and send them both a PM and an email if they have entered one (Email is the most effective). Start small and expect 10-20 guys to show up.

Hope this helps, :001_smile

So you're saying that on 5 separate occassions, you've sent spam PM's and spam E-mails to members here?

So you're saying that on 5 separate occassions, you've sent spam PM's and spam E-mails to members here?

Let me understand this....
Sending a PM to a person and inviting them to an event, no charge, where honing, stropping, beard prep, shaving technique etc are demonstrated and taught etc...... is regarded as Spam?

Ya gotta be kidding me........

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Let me understand this....
Sending a PM to a person and inviting them to an event, no charge, where honing, stropping, beard prep, shaving technique etc are demonstrated and taught etc...... is regarded as Spam?

Ya gotta be kidding me........

You see a smiley face there?

How do you define sending unsolicited messages to people you don't know?
Yes, that's spam. Regardless of the topic.

We have a forum to announce get togethers just for such a reason. While there may be some who appreciate the additional information, most don't.

EDIT: Let me clarify that there is obviously a HUGE difference between sending an e-mail or a PM to someone you are friendly with on this forum and
search the Member list for guys in the area and send them both a PM and an email if they have entered one (Email is the most effective).

Last edited:
You see a smiley face there?

How do you define sending unsolicited messages to people you don't know?
Yes, that's spam. Regardless of the topic.

We have a forum to announce get togethers just for such a reason. While there may be some who appreciate the additional information, most don't.

EDIT: Let me clarify that there is obviously a HUGE difference between sending an e-mail or a PM to someone you are friendly with on this forum and

No, I don't see a smiley face on yours and you did not see one on mine.

Lets get this straight right now. I have never sent any such emails to members of B&B because when I first inquired if it would be ok, several years ago, Joel informed me that it was not. Because of that I have refrained from inviting the members of B&B to the events that I, me, Randy Tuttle, sponsor and do the work of organizing. BTW, My events are open to members of all forums

My prior post was simply to inform people who were thinking of organizing an event of methods that are necessary for success.

It is unfortunate that you have jumped the gun to such a huge extent and read into my post something that never happened nor was even hinted at.

Calm down.

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Don't know what happened to this thread, but I'd be interested in a get together in the KC area, or Lawrence.

I'm in KC and walked through the plaza today.

There's an Art of Shaving brick and mortar.

I thought Diebels was the only place in these parts.

I'm only here until Tuesday though and have zero personal time.

Gotta love the opulence and decadence of this place.

so shallow and superficial..

Last edited:
I'm in KC and walked through the plaza today.

There's an Art of Shaving brick and mortar.

I thought Diebels was the only place in these parts.

I'm only here until Tuesday though and have zero personal time.

Gotta love the opulence and decadence of this place.

so shallow and superficial..

It's definitely not as refined and charming as it used to be. As contrived and out of place as the architecture is, it's been around long enough to not feel as artificial as a Las Vegas or Disneyland.. the surrounding architecture also borrows elements from the Plaza, making it feel a bit more genuine to me. I don't feel that it's shallow and superficial, but I understand the impression.. constructions like this used to pop up in a matter of months (go check out Zona Rosa up by MCI airport or The Legends up a bit farther) and still do all over the developing world.

Forever XXI is a sign of the decline of the Plaza.. I hope the day never comes when all the local and boutique shops are ousted to make room for Starbucks and the Gap.
-\Visdom

I wasn't referring to the Plaza.I meant that the Art of Shaving store over commercialized the whole shaving thing.The Plaza and surrounding area is very cool.Love the fountains.My sister in law lived in Sevilla for some time and it has that feel.

I wasn't referring to the Plaza.I meant that the Art of Shaving store over commercialized the whole shaving thing.The Plaza and surrounding area is very cool.Love the fountains.My sister in law lived in Sevilla for some time and it has that feel.

My misunderstanding.. I thought you were talking about the Plaza, and I'm probably a little too eager to jump to the defence of KC nowadays since there are so many inaccurate stigmas associated with the midwest.

Personally, I'd love to see Diebel's up their game against Art of Shaving.. I bet if they started carrying more wetshaving gear, like a larger selection of DE blades, soaps, aftershaves, we wouldn't need to schedule KC get togethers.. all you'd have to do is head over to Diebel's.
-\Visdom

I went into the AOS store and had a little chat with the man inside. He had a vest and tie on and looked like he may be in place next to the barber chair prominently displayed in the front window.

The air of nostalgia ended quickly when I chatted him up. He was quick to show me the new seaweed line of products and gave me some samples. He showed me some brushes and even let me play around with the Power brush they have for sale. It only shakes. No swirl or spin. It only shakes like their razors do when you turn it on. An odd and puzzling addition to badger brush.

Then he showed me some cartridge razors with varying degrees of opulent handles. When I asked about double edge razors he directed my attention to some Merkur razors. All nicely displayed and seriously over priced. I pointed at the VISION and he excitedly pulled it out to show how it opens and closes. He started to tell me how it was Titanium. (it's plated zamak- we all saw so on How it's Made..) I didn't argue the details since he had a glimmer of excitement in his eye. Especially when he told me that an item could be mine for the princely sum of $220 or so.. Just the VISION, no stand of accessories. I sighed, and asked what kind of blades to use it such a razor.

He showed me a small drawer with a glass lid that had three packs of double edge blades. Merkur and two Gillette branded blades. I didn't look closely as he continued to spew pricing and told me the Merkur blades were such a great deal compared to Fusion carts at $15 for a ten pack and the Gillette DE blades, which I think were Russian packs, were available for $10 per pack.

I politely thanked him for showing me around the very small shop. It was about the size of my living room. As I turned to leave he stopped me to look at the AOS starter kit that they had in a leather travel case. He surely thought I'd see the value it that. "The brush," he said with enthusiasm, "it is the travel size that costs $60 over here, but comes for free with the little travel set that costs $75." I said, "that's nice."

I bought an AOS starter set last Christmas online, without a leather pouch, for $25 for my brother. The brush is badger, but it is one of the smallest brushes that could possibly be practical for shaving.

Again I thanked him for the samples and strolled across the street to have lunch at Houston's.

I was surprised by the barber chair and the wide variety of creams, lotions, and cartridge handles on display. The store was clean and well kept with a sink and various products and brushes out for smelling and test lathering. I was most surprised by the clerks total lack of perspective and understanding of the different grades of brushes and the relative prices of the DE gear.

The fact that he claimed the Merkur VISION was Titanium was enough to remind me that I was not in an actual shaving gear store. I was in a branded re-education center that had Fusion and Mach III prominently displayed all around.

The soaps are very nice and the wide range of options is nice. There seems to be a disconnect though to sell Power Cartridge handles to be used with them.

I did ask if any of the beautiful, and they really were very nice, handles were available with Sensor or Atra heads. He held back a giggle and with a little smirk told me that those products are not really used any more and were not for sale.

The had straights and shavettes as well. I saw some strops and very nice DOPP kits. Alas, I did not see much I could afford, and saw nothing I could not live without.

Like every store I visited, the salesman was very cordial and happy to help.

At Diebl's I was happy to see they had plenty of soaps and creams available. A somewhat limited selection compared to any online vendor, but they did have Edwin Jagger products and others that I found familiar. Their selection of DE razors and other hardware is limited and priced above what it is available for online as well, but not to the extent that the AOS store had priced everything to a premium.

The guy I was with at Diebel's picked up some Sea Buckthorn and a few cigars. I just enjoyed strolling around and looking at the pens and pipes they have.

I did have one regret. I didn't make it to Arthur Bryant's while I was in KC...

Oh man, I'm glad I missed going to the AOS store. What am I more sad about... is that my buddy who bought dinner for the entire family insisted upon going to Applebee's... and we drove right by Arthur Bryant's to get there! :scared:

Anyone good with a hone in the KAnsas City Area? I live up in Smithville have hones kind of know how to use them? Looking for some instruction and pointers.

Top Bottom