What's new

Anyone ever tie their own knots?

Just curious - has anyone ever tried to tie your own shaving brush knot? If so would you care to share your experiences?

Pros make it look so easy.

All you need is a sack of badger hair, a cylinder with the shape you want and a piece of string. what could go wrong :blink:

I'd love to know how it goes. If you try it, record the process.

Pros make it look so easy.

All you need is a sack of badger hair, a cylinder with the shape you want and a piece of string. what could go wrong :blink:

I'd love to know how it goes. If you try it, record the process.

haha I was thinking exactly the same. Can it really be that simple?! Of course not :001_rolle

haha I was thinking exactly the same. Can it really be that simple?! Of course not :001_rolle

The process isn't that difficult to understand. It's having the confidence to actually do it and managing to knock out knot after knot after knot to the same standard that takes time to get right. Also some knots are much harder to form than others. Mid range - ok, small and uber large - tricky!

Gary

....It's having the confidence to actually do it and managing to knock out knot after knot after knot to the same standard that takes time to get right...

Yes I'm trying to wrap my head around someone doing that day in, day out. It must take stamina! In the video Rudy links to, the woman makes kind of a rhythmic tap-tap-t-tap sound and the fascinating thing is you can hear at least one other person in the room making the exact same sound. Suggesting a production line...

Yes I'm trying to wrap my head around someone doing that day in, day out. It must take stamina! In the video Rudy links to, the woman makes kind of a rhythmic tap-tap-t-tap sound and the fascinating thing is you can hear at least one other person in the room making the exact same sound. Suggesting a production line...

Yeah maybe. We used to have 2-3 staff knot making at any one time. It's not so much stamina but experience. Yes it's very repetitive and can be quite soul destroying at times - especially when a large batch of the same knot size is needed. It is very much like riding a bike though - if you have done it enough times it becomes second nature.

Gary

im curious, i see they tie the badget hair together. how do they hold the base of the badget hair together? is there glue or wax that hold it together and then they pop it in the handle?

What they aren't showing you is the part where the excess beyond the string is cut off and glued. In fact, I've seen a couple of videos and pictures of "forming" but none of that latter stage.

im curious, i see they tie the badget hair together. how do they hold the base of the badget hair together? is there glue or wax that hold it together and then they pop it in the handle?

The old way of finishing the knot is to double knot the base to allow it to be dipped when gluing. Cut away the twine and then set the knot in the handle. With a bit of turn of the knot to bed it in.

Gary

The old way of finishing the knot is to double knot the base to allow it to be dipped when gluing. Cut away the twine and then set the knot in the handle. With a bit of turn of the knot to bed it in.

Gary

Sounds like what I imagined - the knots are dipped in glue to seal the base, and then later glued into a handle. I was curious if anybody combined those steps (glueing the bottom of the knot directly into the handle). Seems like it would be harder to get that right without making a mess of glue all over the handle.

In the German video, it looks possible they could be stuffing all of the excess down into a hollow handle. If so they would be saving two or three steps. I say 'possible', I think it more likely they're just not showing the slicing and gluing.

Normally, I guess the knot would be sliced first and then dipped in the glue. With the cut so close to the twine, I wonder how the knot can be sliced without dislodging hair... I guess a really sharp, fast saw blade...

In the German video, it looks possible they could be stuffing all of the excess down into a hollow handle. If so they would be saving two or three steps. I say 'possible', I think it more likely they're just not showing the slicing and gluing.

Normally, I guess the knot would be sliced first and then dipped in the glue. With the cut so close to the twine, I wonder how the knot can be sliced without dislodging hair... I guess a really sharp, fast saw blade...

We would either trim the base of the knot by hand, if it was a smaller knot size, or use a guillotine to trim off the base excess on the larger knots.

Gary

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

I believe they cut off the hair at the bottom and also dip the end in some kind of glue, maybe a thin epoxy.

Top Bottom