What's new

Any other writers about?

I have been working on a short story/poetry compilation for a few months now and was wondering if any other writers in the community would be interested in talking ideas, techniques and critiques.

Clean light humor is your friend.

Try not to take yourself too seriously.

Don't expect more than a 1% response to your efforts until you are a published name.

Try not to over edit yourself.
My wife always tells me my first drafts are my best.

Don't forget to put yourself into your work. It does wonders for you and your readers.

Women readers love sensitive, thoughtful males. Expressing one's softer side can be huge.

I'll think of others after I hang up here.

I've been writing a 3-500 word essay that goes around the globe every Saturday morning for over three years now.

It's a work of love that began with six friends and has grown to several Campuses and countries and uncountable folks. Many of my readers pass it along to their list of readers. Oh well.

My theme: Live in a small town or as we call it, "The slow Lane." I mix life stories. Religious and political views, personal letters, poetry. A couple lies here and there. A lot of preaching to the choir. Just stuff that hits me funny and others like to hear about.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
I write short stories and poems.
I've had a few published.
I have a few ideas for a novel, but they all seem lacking in some way.

If you want to talk, send me a PM.

I love writing. Have wrote a few short stories... been trying to write a novel for the longest time, but time is never on my side... at least not with everything else I had to do in the last few years... but I haven't given up and still continue to slowly work on it. :D

I wish I had a talent for fiction and poetry, but all of my writing is in academic research journals and college textbooks. Nevertheless, when I was a doctoral student struggling and competing to get published in my field, my major advisor passed on good advice that I think serves writers in any field.

1) Expect to get rejected.
2) Don't take rejection personally.
3) When you have an article (or poem or short story) rejected, don't file it away; rework it (if necessary), find another suitable publisher, and get it back out there for review.

Talent and persistence are equally important, I think.
Good luck!
jbird

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I only write here. I get paid in insults.

Clearly underpaid.

Writing is one of those things that you can do for life. . . the couple of people I've met that write for a living love it. There seem to be a fair number of web bloggers pulling down some good coin.

I work as a Technical Writer. It is my job to wring every bit of personality and creativity out of the documents I review, leaving only the bare, gleaming minimum necessary to successfully communicate the content.

In other words...I can't help you.

Hah, only when I'm online. I do switch to the literary language when writing, otherwise it would be a bit hard to follow. :p

I have a short story deadline on Tuesday actually (for CW2 class) actually. I used to write a lot of poetry, but haven't had the heart for it for about ten years. I've had one story published in a school literary magazine. I graduate in a few months and want to get into editing. I guess you can add me to your list.

I just finished revisions on one short story and 2 poems that I am going to try and get submitted in near feature.

I've been published a number of times and worked with one of America's best-known authors for ten years. I've been a grant writer since the 70's and have raised over $80 million for worthwhile organizations through written grants.

Codfish

Last edited:
I have been working on a short story/poetry compilation for a few months now and was wondering if any other writers in the community would be interested in talking ideas, techniques and critiques.

I have a short story deadline on Tuesday actually (for CW2 class) actually.

Ok, so my workshop was today. It went well, and the story created a lot of back and forth. So much so that the class went over time. My role today was to keep my mouth shut and listen, and the teacher thought she was being too harsh about a few points, but I did not feel that way at all.

Anyway, I've got this story that I need to revise now for my final portfolio. I was playing with structure, and time and space. She suggested I put things into order, take out the frame story, and take away a lot of the suspense. I don't want to do some of this. I like the format I have, but if anyone would like to read it over and give me some feedback in the next week, that'd be fine with me.

I write constantly, but mostly in my head. I simply do not have the time to sit down and write it all down. Someday, Ill sit down for a decade, and see if I can put it all together.:biggrin1:

Top Bottom